Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so it's not strictly politics, but there are a lot of politics involved in the formulation of laws that will govern cloning.

Yesterday a South Korean firm claimed to impregnated a woman with a cloned fetus. Media reports have differed, some indicating that this is an attempt at therapeutic cloning, others identifying a link to the Raelians. If the latter is true, than the claim is probably bogus.

Still, it's undeniable that science is getting closer and closer to being able to safely clone a human being. What do you people think? Is cloning good or bad? What should its legal status be?

·
Second Place winner, October 2012 XT Photo Contest
3,938 Posts
They should get on with it so I can have a clone to go to work while I stay home and do other things. Like fly around in my autogyro and eat my daily nutricion pills while my robot valet sets out my super figure enhancing designer clothing as I plan my exening out with the man who is taking a male birth control pill so I don't have to screw up my precious hormones. :D

Naw, it does bring up a lot of moral and ethical, not to mention political (will the clones be allowed to vote and will they count on censuses?) questions. However, I tend to think it is much more complicated than people seem to think--what happened to Dolly the Sheep?--and it won't be actually happening anytime soon. Heck, we can't even find out a good way to freeze a tomato.

RIO

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think it may be a little closer to cloning than to the rest of the Jetson era promises we hear. ;)

Actually, therapeutic cloning is aimed at developing the fetus only to the point necessary to harvest stem cells. The cloning material would come from the donor, and would be intended for use only by the donor.

I don't support the idea of cloning a child for infertile couples. There are already so many children that need a good home.

However, I admit I'm undecided when it comes to the prospect of providing hope for patients who need a new liver or kidney in order to survive. If one's own cells can be manipulated to create a new organ, why not?

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
Unless human beings find a way out of this planet real quick, we a re a doomed species.

Already, we cheat most natural deaths, rob our immune systems of its natural processes, extend life beyond our usefulness… natural death's only saving grace has been genetic defects. And now even that one is only a matter of time before we lick that one too. Even nature's safety valve, our very own predatory and territorial nature, has been failing as of late with these precision bombing tech, new age of tolerance. There's simply not enough war to compensate for our ever increasing progress in cheating death.

I think it's unrealistic for us ever to accept that death is just as important as life in nature's grand scheme. Thus our only chance left at our own looming peril is to find a way to grow outwardly… fast.

NASA better hurry the f*ck up.

That is all.

·
Registered
33,807 Posts
Other than developing fetuses for stem cell harvest, I see no point for cloning. The misconception is that cloning will produce an exact replica, mentally and physically, of the person from whom the cells were taken. That is only partially true, however, because there are too many environmental factors involved in the mental development of a person for clones to be anything but physical replicas.

As for the morality of developing fetuses for stem cell harvest, I suppose it goes back to when people think life begins. If it is at conception, then the practice might be immoral. If it is at birth, then it might be moral.

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
Tim said:
Other than developing fetuses for stem cell harvest, I see no point for cloning. The misconception is that cloning will produce an exact replica, mentally and physically, of the person from whom the cells were taken. That is only partially true, however, because there are too many environmental factors involved in the mental development of a person for clones to be anything but physical replicas.

Kinda like thinking they'll be the same age as you and that they'll share your memories. And even physical character traits are influenced by environmetal factors, so it won't be either - though similarities would be striking.

The question of morality won't keep it from happening. Far too intriguing to us to have even the dimmest of hopes of ever keeping it from happening. It will happen - it is merely a question of time, not one of will.

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
Andy Christ said:
So what? Ants, rats and cockroaches will take over when we're gone.Then the whole planet will be like New Jersey.

It will be fun.
Wrong! I haven't seen a roach since yer mommy last visited. But it was fun - you were right in that respect.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So what? Ants, rats and cockroaches will take over when we're gone.
But what you forget is that eventually rats and cockroaches will also try to master the science of cloning, but not without set backs to their own species. That will inevitably lead right back to the whole place being over run with Republicans.

It's a vicious circle.

(Toldya this'd be about politics).

·
Registered
210 Posts
:D :D :D

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
Finally - lili gets the nerve to show us her picture.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts