Xtratime Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read several posts here, and there seems to be some confusion as to what countries are actually a part of the Balkans, and which ones aren't, so I thought I'd strighten this out. There is a land mass in south-eastern Europe which juts out into the Mediterranean Sea and which is flanked on either side by the Black Sea and the Adriatic Sea, aka The Balkan Peninsula. The countries considered in the "Balkans" are as follows: Turkey, Greece, The Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Albania, Croatia, Bosna i Hercegovina, Slovenija, Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria and Yugoslavia.

peace

------------------
Zvezda je zivot ostalo su sitnice!

·
Registered
6,790 Posts
Cool, thanx for the list.
And is Hungary really part of the Balkans, because some people say it's not?

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
whether they are willing to admit it or not, they are part of the Balkans. Hungary (no offence to any hungarians) has always "felt" like a part of western europe because the Balkans is seen as backward/backwoods/violent/third world/uneducated/peasant/ and so on and so forth....

·
International
8,545 Posts
If Hungary isn't part of the Balkans, how can Slovenia be? The edge of the Balkan peninsula doesn't run along the Cro-Hun border. A "peninsula" simply can't take that shape.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you Ivo, there is no 1000 metre cliff seperating Croatia and Hungary and providing a natural frontier of the Balkan Peninsula. Hungary is a part of the Balkans, and so is Turkey, at least the part of turkey which is on the European Continent, separated from the Middle East by the Bosphorous straits. The key word here is Peninsula, this is a natural geographic phenomenon, regardless of what politicians have said, done or drawn.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts