Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
17,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
boy i cant wait :pp biggest game of the season by far, hoping we go thru and have a rematch of Moscow...

I think 4-4-2 with:

--------Anelka - Drogba-------------
--------Molouda - Ballack/mikel - Lampard - Essien----------
--------Cole/Boswinga - Alex - Terry - Ivano/Boswinga------
--------Peter Cech--------

this way with no Puyol and no Marquez and 2 strikers you can test their substitute defender, drogba alone doesnt work it only worked against liverpool after we sent in anelka and we scored 4 goals, in midfield essien and molouda can track back with ballack sitting deep and lampard doing a lot of running back and forth....boswinga can stick with messi on left side again but worries about Ivano controlling Henry might force boswinga to the right and bring cole back....

on their end if they get a bruising on Sunday against Madrid then thats 3 games on the trot without winning, and if we put a performance like liverpool in the 2nd half there should be no reason why we cannot finish the job....

its 90 minutes in the bridge against the best attacking force in the world and we are thru to the final of the CL, as simple as that...1-0, 0-0 penalties, 2-1 all will do, although key focus not to have them score and be patient we can nick a goal anytime....

tough one to predict, but Milan getting revenge in athens so quickly after istanbul makes me dream history CAN repeat itself, fingers crossed...

we couldnt have asked for a better scenario from Nou Camp, now we need to step up and grab the chance...

·
0-1, Huth.
6,070 Posts
Lampard really needs to step up his game this time - He was anonymous in the 1st leg. I predict Chelsea to go through with an assist/goal from Sir Frank.

·
Registered
915 Posts
All were anon, save Guus and Petr with the latter doing some ass-saving(ie. 'dink's ass). I thought we should've had Khalid's formation(with Belletti and Quaresma) for the first game and last games' for this. We'll be lucky to go through, ffs.

·
Registered
17,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quaresma against barca? he cant play (CL tied)...

·
Registered
332 Posts
Question of the week: will Guus play the same game or open it up at The Bridge? Honestly, if he opens it up, it is over. I don't want to think about it, but that's why we should have gotten an away goal.

·
Third Place winner, March 2009 Photo Contest
977 Posts
Question of the week: will Guus play the same game or open it up at The Bridge? Honestly, if he opens it up, it is over. I don't want to think about it, but that's why we should have gotten an away goal.
As long as it is 0 - 0 nobody will take too many risks. Once the goal will be scored it will open up. That's always the story of those European games.

·
Registered
17,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well today Real showed us how NOT to play (defence playing high up the pitch, offside trap mistakes, no pressure on ball) etc...

·
NUMBER 18
1,703 Posts
real just showed you why the 0-0 tactic of hiddink was perfect in my opinion.. the tie would have been finished if you lot went to the nou camp to attack...

·
Third Place winner, March 2009 Photo Contest
977 Posts
real just showed you why the 0-0 tactic of hiddink was perfect in my opinion.. the tie would have been finished if you lot went to the nou camp to attack...
Well, Real is considerably weaker team than Chelsea. Their defence yesterday was an absolute joke. All sorts of mistakes - cannot keep the back four in one line, caught in possession, miskicks the ball, the wall doesn't stand properly, cannot control the ball, decision making awful.

·
Registered
17,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i guess big question still is play boswinga again on the left or no, i worry for cole against messi to be honest...and play anelka from start or no...

·
Sheperdesque
21,256 Posts
Cant wait till the final!!! We're gonna rip manure a new one!!!!

Is that too cocky??

·
Registered
15,743 Posts
well today Real showed us how NOT to play (defence playing high up the pitch, offside trap mistakes, no pressure on ball) etc...

Playing against Barca either way is a difficult task defensively. Sitting back can also be dangerous, allowing them to play in front of you, because they have the ability to pass through anyone.

Playing a higher defensive line is more risky, but it's all down to keeping a tight backline. To play this tactic, Terry has to have a great game, keep the defense well organised so the space at the back cannot be exploited. It's a risk but also has it's benefits. For a start, if Hiddink uses the same tactic as he did at Camp Nou, you're going to find it hard to get in on goal. Pushing up the defensive line, which in turn pushes the midfield up, will make it tighter for them in the middle and mean that you can get on top of their defense more. With Bosingwa and Cole back, you have two quicker players that are more ideal for such a tactic.

It's difficult to say as we're not in Hiddink's shoes, but I think it would be more logical to put Barca under pressure and play higher up the pitch. Despite their attacking confidence they'll surely be anxious about their makeshift backline. Drogba has been in good form recently so that needs to be utilised. His effectiveness will be greater if Lampard and co push further up, winning balls off him. You can't show Barca too much respect, you have to put them under pressure too and ask questions of their weaknesses. All because sitting deep and looking for 0-0 worked at Camp Nou it doesn't mean it'll work again.

·
David Villa is a
14,204 Posts
best match from ages... these matches are full of excitement! cant wait to see who is goin through

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
No way Chelsea play the same way. In the 1st leg no one pressured the ball until Barca were well inside the halfway line, especially at the start of the match. I think tomorrow Chelsea will pick up the pace some and pressure Barca.

·
Registered
8,509 Posts
I'm hardly a Chelsea fan, but good luck tomorrow against the Cules.
I hope Guus is not crazy to try and play a different game then the one you played at Camp Nou, if you do play open, Barca will destroy you.

PS. never new such a small fanbase in XT for Chelsea...

·
Registered
9,120 Posts
What we need to do is simply come out strong for the first 10-15 minutes pressuring Barca getting forward trying to get a goal. Obviously I'd like to see Mikel and Essien in midfield behind Lampard and Kalou(or Anelka) and Malouda on the wings this time.

Penalties are something which I bet we wouldnt fency unless Guus has been focused on them which I don't think he will be, since any goal we conceed will be a massive thing to overturn. Trying to play the same way we did away will be suicide but at the same time we really need to be intelegent when going forward. Cech better forget about route one football for this match we need to keep more posession even if it's inside our own half and get these Barca players chasing the ball abit.

Pressure on the Barca defense will be key, and if we defend we won't be able to get them to make mistakes. Also we need some set pieces close to their box; they don't have the needed players to defend set pieces and we need to get into positions for fouls; corners etc.

·
Registered
915 Posts
valdes
alves,toure,pique,abidal
busquets
iniesta,keita,xavi
messi,eto'o

"CONFIRMED CHELSEA TEAM: Cech; Bosingwa, Terry, Alex(yellow), A Cole; Essien, Lampard, Ballack(yellow); Malouda, Anelka, Drogba"

·
Registered
226 Posts
Good line-up by Guus. Chelsea might try and actually play this leg!

Here's hoping for a good, exciting game :thumbsup:

Cheers

·
Pepe the Beast
4,493 Posts
If either Arsenal or Madrid give you their entire starting XI, will you give them Essien.:D

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
big middle finger to the referee! TWO HAND BALLS IN THE BOX AND HE CALLS NONE OF THEM! They were both arms at shoulder height, where arms SHOULD NOT BE. Barca lucky, that is all. We out played them, and we were robbed!

1 - 20 of 155 Posts