Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 193 Posts

·
Registered
14,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So now that we know all but one of the qualified teams lets look ahead at the draw. Fenerbahce can be drawn with any of the teams. Manchester United, Arsenal, Barcelona, Chelsea, Schalke, Roma and Inter/Liverpool. The draw will take place on Friday, March 14.

If any, i'm hoping we get Schalke. They looked poor today at Porto, their goalie made some incredible saves and saved 2 pk's as well. Every game will be tough, but after the Sevilla games, all i can say is bring it on :fero:

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
i was hoping for Olympiacos to make it through and draw against FB. But since they got owned by chelsea now Schalke seems right.

·
Welcome To Jamrock
9,729 Posts
Only teams I'd want to avoid is Manchester United, Arsenal & Barca

·
Registered
10,205 Posts
I truly believe in destiny, and Fenerbahce is destined to go to the semi finals. Schalke barely make use of their advantageous first leg score at home, defeating Porto away in a penalty shootout, sound familiar? :D

Schalke gelecek.

·
Registered
16,995 Posts
Im hoping for an English team really, just so I can try to watch the match in a stadium.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
order of preference:
1. Schalke
2. Roma

3. Inter/Liverpool
4. Arsenal
5. Chelsea
6. Manchester United
7. Barcelona

We can all pretty much agree that Roma and Schalke would be the better teams to play against, with Man U and Barcelona the worst teams to play against.

·
Registered
10,724 Posts
This may sound wierd, but I want Fenerbahce to draw the most prolific team. I believe this team has a date with destiny :)

If Fenerbahce doesn't progress, no one walks away thinking they drew the easy team and should have done better....they've already done so much more than before anyways. They can walk away knowing they were one of the best 8 teams in Europe and made some noise that will not be forgotten for a long time.

...but if they should progress! WOW, think about how much more meaningful it would be that they made it farther in the CL than any Turkish team in history AND didn't get the 'lucky path' to do so! :proud:

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Arsenal is the team that you want to draw...and I will tell you why :)
Plus, you guys have NO Zero 0 chances of drawing Schalke 04, UEFA would not allow that match-up to happen, you will draw one of the English side 100% sure about that either Man United, Chelsea, Arsenal or Liverpool/Inter...and you want Arsenal for these reasons:

1) They are the youngest team left and you never know how a young team will play on a big stage...imagine what would happen to them mentally when they step on to your stadium to play with your crazy fans.

2) They are in a very tight title race in England, its going to take a toll at some point, and with most Arsenal fans its more important to win the league title.

3) They have a busy month of March with games against Wigan, Middlesbrough, Chelsea, Bolton and Liverpool.

So Arsenal is the team :D
in order

1) Arsenal
2) Barcelona (Messi is out for at least a month)
3) Chelski
4) Roma
5) Inter/Liverpool
6) Man United

0000.00000% chance of getting Schalke

·
*the drum drum*
42,885 Posts
In the World Cup, or in domestic cup competitions, it's all too possible to fall into an easy path. Look at us in 2002, we made the semi-finals beating China, Japan and Senegal (though if anyone says we didn't deserve to be there I'll bitchslap you ;)), or when Millwall made the FA Cup final a few years back without playing a single EPL team!

But in the Champions' League and the European Championships, the equilibrium amongst the teams is so even than it's hardly any different. You have to beat top quality sides to get deeper and deeper into the competition, there's no two ways about it.

So while someone like Schalke would be a better draw than Barcelona or Arsenal at this point, if we win the quarter final it doesn't matter who we beat. The bottom line is we beat a series of top quality football sides and made the semi-finals of the Champions' League. Not even the most retarded rival fan can take that away from us ;)

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Outright odds - pre-draw, 06-Mar, wh.com
Barcelona 10/3
Man Utd 7/2
Chelsea 9/2
Arsenal 5/1
Roma 8/1
Liverpool 8/1
Schalke 20/1
Inter Milan 20/1
Fenerbahce 33/1

Didn't expect FB to be longer than Schalke. Because of the defense that conceded 5?

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
i don't understand this odds bs. Does that mean out of 33 tries there is 1 time that Fener can go through? I hate statitics, probability bs

·
*the drum drum*
42,885 Posts
It's betting odds, though I think you guys might be a little more used to these sorts of betting figures (same as the odds above, just translated from the English system to the US system):

Barcelona $4.30
Man Utd $4.50
Chelsea $5.50
Arsenal $6.00
Roma $9.00
Liverpool $9.00
Schalke $21.00
Inter Milan $21.00
Fenerbahce $34.00

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Well the odds mean nothing really, but they do base it on history. And they do try to encourage people to bet. Why would anyone bet on Fener if they were just 20/1. Also German teams have actually won this competition before, while Turkish teams have not.

Odds seem pretty fair on that part.

·
Registered
451 Posts
order of preference:
1. Schalke
2. Roma

3. Inter/Liverpool
4. Arsenal
5. Chelsea
6. Manchester United
7. Barcelona

We can all pretty much agree that Roma and Schalke would be the better teams to play against, with Man U and Barcelona the worst teams to play against.
barca should be 6 not 7, barca is a different team without messi (gone for 6 weeks)

·
*the drum drum*
42,885 Posts
I have a strong feeling that Ronaldinho will step it up again at Barcelona in Messi's absence. This is what Ronaldinho has needed, and this is his chance.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
I was bored so I looked at the past to put our glorious achievement into context.

I looked at past Champions Leagues, and i found that only 2 clubs have made it to this stage that do not play in one of the big leagues (Italy, Spain, England, Germany, France, Portugal, Holland). I did not include the Champions League before 1999, because it was a bit easier for teams outside the big leagues to make quarters as there wasn't 3rd and 4th place teams from the big three leagues even in it. Also there was not a Round of 16 then.

So the two clubs that have achieved this before were Galatasaray 2001, Panathiniakos 2002. Both lost in quarters though.

1 - 20 of 193 Posts