• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is it, again.

While the horrible 6 out of 7 losses tells us how difficult it will be to overcome our current nemisis, there is a more important figure to look at, one that i hope Del B will keep reminding the players about to psyche them up: 2 out of 3. Thats the number of times we actually advanced against them in the knock out stages if we manage to pull out a win in Bernabeu this Wednesday, and honestly, thats all that matters. winning when it counts. I am sure if we manage that, Bayern and its fans won't be happy at all about the 6 out of 8 (by then, if it happens), because if you don't qualify, it doesn't mean a thing.

I for one am hoping Zidane and Raul step-up. Zidane wants a CL, and he still hasn't been playing up to his best, because we know how good he can be. Raul needs to step big as in the CL2000, when he played a blinder against Munich in Bernabeu. a full house of screaming Madridstas have to give 1000% support for 90 minuts on Wednesday.

This poll is about how we should line-up against them. Please vote and comments.

·
Premium Member
27,068 Posts
I voted Figo, Solari, Zizou

What about 5/4/1

Salgado--Hierro-Helguera-Pavon--R. Carlos

-----------------Maklelele
Figo----------------------------Solari
-----------------Zizou
------------------------Raul

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
You're going to lose control of midfield with that lineup. Way too thin in the middle. Come on. How are you going to get Zidane the ball with just Makalele?

How about a 4-3-3:

................................Cesar

.......................Hierro.........Pavon
.......Salgado..................................R Carlos

..........Makalele........Zidane........Helgera

................Figo............................Raul
..............................Morientes

vs a 4-4-2:

....................Elber................Santa Cruz

.............................Effenberg
Hargreaves...........Jeremies.................Salihamidzic

Lizarazu.....................................................Sagnol
..................R Kovac...............Kuffour

................................Kahn

You're up against 7 defenders as Hargreaves and Salihamidzic are equally proficient at winning balls as they are at passing them off as wingers. And Effenberg wins more than 50% of his balls. A superb defensive lineup that is very capable on the counterattack.

Good luck on Wednesday.

The year you won it in 2000, Anelka was there to do the damage. He's over in Liverpool now. Who's going to step up?

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I voted 4-2-3-1 with ZZ, Figo and Solari.

I think we need to push hard on both wings in the begining to limit them countering down the flanks. Their right back was very weak and its a position we can exploit with Solari. It also allows Zidane alot of breathing space in the middle of the field. The catch is he will only have one head to cross too.

If Figo isn't fit, or if the half ends and we didn't score, Moro must come in and we need to play with two forwards. Our midfield will be weaker but desperate measures call for desperate actions. We need to focus on the left as well, with Raul dropping back to midfield when needed. Salgado has to play an exceptional game hence.

We should switch to the diamond if we concede or are still failing to score with 30 minutes to go or so. We lose control of the midfield, but we need to play quick-direct balls to either flanks as we have two wings, and just go for it!

·
Registered
17,451 Posts
I didn't know what to vote for, I want Figo to play, but he's coming back from injury, and Solari has been amazing. So one of these will do for me:eek:

_________________César
___________Hierro______Pavon
____Salgado________________Carlos
__________Makelele__Helguera
_______________Zidane
__________Figo________Raul
________________Mori

or

________________César
___________Hierro_____Helguera
___Salgado___________________Carlos
_______________Makelele
___Figo_____________________Solari
_______________Zidane
__________Mori________Raul

One thing I know for sure. Mori or Guti. HAS to play. Simply because Raul cannot play as a lone striker.

One side tells me that with Solari-Figo-Raul-Zidane...... How can we not win 1-0?! another side tells me, we will have amazing chances, hit the bar, miss sitters, Kahn wil deny us. and Bayern will win the game with a PK

:nervous:

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
I voted for all on-form players (except one) to be included. I want the lineup to be:

________Cesar
______Hierro___Helguera
Salgado____Makelele____Carlos
Figo(Geremi)___________Solari
_________Zizou
____________Raul

Since Pavon's injured his back, it's doubtful whether he'll recover in time. Geremi should come in for Figo since the latter's still on his way to rediscovering his touch, plus the fact Geremi did a rather good job in shackling Lizaraxu, so when we got the advantage, he should come in. With Ziou and Solari, we should toture them on their right like we did last week. I chose Raul in place of Morientes though this guy gave a :yuck: performance yesterday. El Moro can come in later in the match.

Scores:

I hope for a 1-0, 3-1 or even better, but my mind tells me a hard struggling 3-1. Remain optimistic is the word. ;)

·
Premium Member
27,068 Posts
time to get it started!

After last weeks disapointment it all comes down to this single game!

The club will have extra motivated from last week comments by the Bayern squad.

It might have been a mistake for Bayern to have aroused the fighting spirit of our club!

I expect big thing from us this weds!

HALA MADRID

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, as i said before, this is our game to win! There are no excuses if we don't (barring an indisputible referee mistake or so). If we want to reclaim the title of Euro's best team back from Bayern, we have to beat them in this game. plain and simple.

If we play with the spirit we showed in this same round last year, the return against Gala, then it will be very very tough for them to stop us.

Hala Madrid! Now & Forever,

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
Well if DB sticks with his tactic from Bayern with either Helguera taking a step down and Flavio/Celades moves in we got a decent chance of progressing.

The thing i think he will do is take a gamble and play 4-4-2 diamong with Ivan for sure taking a step down and Makelele as lone DMC. This way its 50/50 we kill or get killed, and the question is wheter to play it safe or risque a little- not which tactic to use.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Micke,

Well, i would rather see us play the same way we did in Germany, just possibly sending in Moro and taking more shots. We don't need this to be a high-scoring game, we could win 3-2 and still go out.

We played a good tactical game in Germany, and lets face it Bayern will play alot more cautious this time. We can keep the pressure and hoefully sneak a goal in. If not, and we reach the second half, then we go to diamond. Im just worried we give them too much space and chances of coneding is easier if we start in diamond.

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
94,480 Posts
This is one game I wouldnt want to miss for anything in the world...And I wont...my lucky :star:s are brighter than ever and I'll get to see the game on ESPN2 here in the States.
We win and we advance...Final score from the Merengues 3x1 ...

:)

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
Colocolo i think you are too optimistic, i dont think there is a chance we score more then 2 so iam thinking that this game will go into extratime :eek:

·
Registered
12,718 Posts
The defence MUST step up bigtime in this game. Also i believe Salgado & R. Carlos should limit their forward runs and play a more defensive role.Our 4 stars ( Zidane,Raul, Figo & Mori) must be on their absolute best for us to have any chance of progressing. I think Raul will shine up like he did in 2000 against the Germans.

·
Premium Member
27,068 Posts
war of words!

This is teally turning into a gruge match! R. Carlos has always had a bigger mouth than his thighs

www.onefootball.com

Roberto Carlos renews war with 'boring Bayern' jibe

Monday 8th April 2002

Roberto Carlos has claimed that Bayern Munich are an unadventurous and disrespectful side that lack quality ahead of Wednesday's Champions' League quarter-final second-leg.

The Brazil left-back responded to criticism from Bayern Munich players following the Spanish side's 2-1 defeat at the Olympic stadium last week.

"If we played like they do we wouldn't get more than 1,000 supporters a game," he said. "Their cocky remarks have sullied the image and the history of Bayern Munich. Bayern are too big a club to make such stupid statements."

The 28-year-old is determined to make Bayern pay at the Bernabeu. "We're very strong at home so Bayern should be aware that an avalanche will be coming down on top of them," he said.

"We have to put on a show like we always do, as that's the way to shut them up. We only need a 1-0 victory to go through to the semi-finals. They have showed they don't respect us at all. We will show that we respect them on the field but not off it.

"We have beaten them 2-0 at home before and we can do the same again. We will try to play exactly as we did at the Olympic stadium as that's what our fans want."

The Brazilian was scornful of the Bavarian side's safety-first style. "They will come to block us out because that's the German mentality. They have nine defenders and only one or two strikers.

"Technically, Real are better than Bayern. German players trust in their quality but they don't have as much quality as the Spanish national side or the Brazilian one. Their football is very simple."

Bayern Munich midfielder Hasan Salihamidzic started the row last week when he accused Real of being long on style but short on substance. "Real were nice to watch - a back-heel here and another trick there - but it was not effective and when we increased the pressure, they got afraid and they nearly crapped their pants."

Goalkeeper Oliver Kahn irritated Roberto Carlos by brushing off his slip-up to allow Geremi to score the opener. "Their goal was my mistake, usually I stop attempts like this with my cap."

Skipper Steffan Effenberg rubbed salt into the wound by warning Real to watch their backs. "We have shown once again that we can strike back and if Real will lead 1-0 after 90 mins at the Bernabeu they can never be certain that we won't get the equaliser in injury-time.":D

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
I hope that Real Madrid will win, as I fear Bayern more... very hard to score goals against and very boring to watch. But I'm afraid that Bayern Munchen will win in the end... their defense is amazing and one early goal from them could finish you off...

·
Premium Member
27,068 Posts
Kyo, I agree that the best word to describe Bayern would be efficient.

They will not wow you with their footballing but they get the job done any way they can.

I think there was a topic in the Barca forum some time back that it would be almost better to lose looking good & artistic than to win ugly.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am feeling more optimistic that any goals we get would probably come either from Moro or ZZ, or possibly Helguera (headers off set pieces).

I think we can dublicate the result of two years ago and win 2-0, anyway, i will continue to believe that we will come out fighting like we did against Gala and turn this one, and make up for those lousy 8 minutes of the first leg, and i will continue to believe till it happens :happy: or we are outsed out of the competition to bayern for the second straight year :sigh:

Kyo,

I think you guys should worry about getting by Liverpool first.

·
Registered
10,086 Posts
Well, tomorrow is a pretty damn big day:depress: I have my "to be or not to be" at the university at 8 AM, and then in the evening at 8 PM comes the big dawgy in terms of football:eek::eek: Is too much to ask for a really great day, with just 2 things going right?:D:devil:
Sh*t, this is scary;)

Hala Madrid!:cool:

No predictions, still a coin toss in my view:embarass:

1 - 20 of 130 Posts