Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
43,395 Posts
This is a blow to Milan but not as big as you think. Nesta IS teh BEST def in teh world, no question, but we have proved we can do very well w/t him. The Juve game last week (I know you beat them, and thank you :D) proved that our D coudl be as solid as anyone's even when we had opnly |old| dadys playing there Cafu-Bili-nesta-Pancaro :D It was rock solid.

Now, Nesta is more important in this one than in the 2nd for Milan, no question. We will try to dominate and win of course, as it si our home game and you will counter attack which as far as I know is your strength ... Thats why I think, having in mind Bili and Paolo are not teh fastest CD out there, Carletto will chose a more cautious tactics for teh 1st game with lots of play in teh midflied and long ball possesion segments for us. Dont expect to find lots of spaces and lots of free areas for counters ... I am telling ya! ;)

A 1-0 or even 0-0 is more likely than 3-2 lets say.

·
Registered
10,390 Posts
This is the biggest news for Depor
having Nesta out will give Irureta the will
to attack. Luque and Pandiani should start
the purpose of this game is to score then wait for
anything at Riazor.
But Depor needs to score and having Nesta out is
let me say it again the best news.

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Depor coach admits: We're thinking about AC Milan
tribalfootball.com - March 21, 2004

Deportivo La Coruna edged Real Murcia 1-0 at the Riazor yesterday.
Joan Capdevila grabbed the winner just before halftime and Depor coach Javier Irureta admitted afterwards that his team's focus was on the looming Champions League clash with AC Milan.

"Both the players and I have been thinking about the game on Tuesday against Milan and that has affected how we have played today," admitted Jabo.

"We could have wrapped it up with two or three chances in the first-half, but we didn't take advantage. Pedro Duscher had a good chance in the second-half as well.

"But after some disappointing recent results, this win gives us confidence going into Tuesday and that's most important."

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
I'm not going to cheer for another team's injured players. I'm sure that Milan will have a solid defence anyway. And Abbiati isn't that far from Dida.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
The real threat of Milan is Kaka. This kid is gonna run rampage on our slow ass defence... I saw how he outpaced the Parma players yesterday..:eek: He's got a great shot and he's also a good dribbler+passer. He's the number one danger man IMO. The key to winning or drawing this game is a solid mistake free performance from our defence.:star:

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Dida to miss Deportivo? Sunday 21 March, 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Milan’s Champions’ League bid has taken a blow with news that Dida and Paolo Maldini risk skipping Tuesday’s quarter-final.

The goalkeeper fell heavily on to his back during the opening minutes of yesterday’s 3-1 win over Parma.

He has already been struggling with back problems throughout the campaign and suffered heavy bruising to the lower back and hip bone.

Rossoneri doctors have suggested “two or three days of complete rest,” making it a race against time to be fit for Tuesday night’s clash with Deportivo La Coruna.

If the World Cup winner cannot make it, then Christian Abbiati will start between the posts.

Maldini limped off during the closing stages of the Parma game with a slight muscular strain, but is expected to start against the Spaniards.

Alessandro Nesta is definitely out of action after suffering a thigh strain last week.

Meanwhile, it has been announced that Russian official Ivanov will referee the Deportivo encounter.

channel4

·
Registered
11,208 Posts
UEFA Champions League

-----------------------------
------Quarter-Final------
-----------------------------

March 23, 2004 - Tuesday

AC MILAN --- Vs. --- RC DEPORTIVO LA CORUNA

----------------- 1st LEG --------------

---- Stadio San Siro, Milan - ITALIA -------

Aggregate: --

Preview

The time for adrenaline rushes, high drama, tension, excitement and thrills is there once again. Tomorrow the UEFA CL shifts into the business end of the competition.

The top 8 clubs in this season's competition take on each other to get 1 step closer to the trophy every European club wants but only a selected few have had the honour to lift.

The distance to ultimate glory in European club competition is just a mere 5 games NOW but those games allow NO MARGIN for errors at all!!! It is not only 5 games of utter concentration but also outwitting and out-performing the opponent!!

We are heading in towards the phase where a team's natural flair, skill and talents are viable strengths but the biggest strength of them all NOW will be the MENTAL STRENGTH of the team!!

The defending champions of Europe AC Milan take on the unpredictable yet superb outfit that is RC Deportivo La Coruna !

The Battle begins in one of Europe's premier theatres that is distinct not only for its unique style roof but the four grandesque pillars on which the roof stands!

The San Siro hosts the Giant Killing SuperDepor who come to the venue they have visited before twice but yet to lose a game here!!! One game was when The Fire Breathing Devil had to win but couldn't and only a Djalminha shot on the post denied SuperDepor a famous win in the Stadium.

The second game was not of concern to the Rossoneri as qualification had already taken place.

SuperDepor is visiting Italy again after eliminating The Raging Bull but this time they have to dance with the Devil! :devil:

Dr. Jekyll and Ms. Hyde vs. Lucifer is one of the most exciting ties in this round and a memorable tie awaits!

-------------
| AC Milan |
-------------

Milan started the campaign in lacklustre fashion doing the necessary but nothing more than needed. An unexpected defeat to Belgian side Brugge woke them up with the return game in Belgium showing the mental ability of the side. Losing Nesta and Maldini through suspension and injury during the game Milan came out of Belgium with a win that was not on the cards!! :cool:

The resilience, self-belief and simple never-say-die attitude instilled in this team by Carlo 'Magic Man' Ancelotti is showing. Tactically brilliant and strategically astute the coach is already amongst the Rossonero legends. The question will be how BIG that's all!!!

Milan has lifted itself from a mediocre first half of the season where we were getting results to supreme authority in the second half of the season. Milan has been nothing short of superb in the Serie A with the the Derby comeback against Internazionale FC standing out as one of the best fightbacks by this side! :star:

Milan was having trouble translating that form into Europe. They got it right in the last game against Sparta scoring 4 past them when at one stage it was shaky! That game was a confidence booster for the side no doubt breaking the hodoo of not scoring enough goals. From 4 goals in 7 games to 8 goals in 8 games!

Tactics / Formation

Probable Line-Up
---------------------

-----------------------Dida--------------------------
-
--Cafu-------Billy--------Maldini--------Pancaro
--
-----------------------Pirlo---------------------------
--
--------Gattuso--------------------Seedorf-------
--
-----------------------Kaká--------------------------
--
-------------Inzaghi---------Shevchenko--------

Well Carlo has already stated in a press conference that Inzaghi will play and one of Sheva or Tommo will partner him up front!

One more interesting thing is that our beloved president Berlusconi has given Magic Man the free reign to play with either one outright striker on the condition that there are three offensive midfielders. Let me count. Seedorf, Pirlo, Rui and Kaká are all offensive mids :)

Hence Carlo has the option of playing the 4-3-2-1 formation with Kaká as forward and Pippo as the outright striker! ;)

Silvio Berlusconi : 'I would like to clear my recent statements about the coach and his choices. I just wanted to remember that it is up to the club to sign the players according to the ideal line-up they have in their mind. After these choices and investment, the team created by the club is given to the coach who has the task to draw the best from the group he has at his disposal. It is clear that the coach has to stick to the line of the club. That's why Milan must be an attack-minded team and field important players in attack. Then they can also play like Parma did this evening, with three offensive midfielders and a lone striker.
Fester and his convincing powers!! :D
Forza Fester :star: :D What would we do without you? :)

Dida will surely play as Carlo has only Abbiati in the squad and when one goalie is doubtful there is no chance that a coach doesn't name 3 goalies. Hence Dida is sureshot to play! ;)

Regarding Carlo's statement the only thing I am thinking is that whether what you see is what you get or does he have a trick up his sleeve for this one?

Rui hasn't started for a while and last time he destroyed Deportivo single-handedly! Is there a surprise line-up in store with the 4-3-2-1? Kaká and Rui with Pippo the lone man up front? It could happen during the course of the match if not the start! ;)

-------------------------------
| RC Deportivo La Coruna |
-------------------------------

Javier Irureta's side has tasted defeat twice in the Quarter-Final two times already! Leeds and Manchester have eliminated them and he would definitely want to make this three times lucky and turn the tables on the defending champions. He will be encouraged by the fact that the QF is also a tricky round for the defending champs!

His side is experienced and according to him is on the rise but it is is a huge ask nonetheless. Irureta's side is known for Giant Killing and they have a shot at strengthening that claim.

Victor is suspended for this tie and that will be a loss to the side as he had a good game against Juve. Irureta's comments suggest that his side will be happy with an away goal as he has a surprise planned for the 2nd Leg at home depending on his home crowd to take the side through.

Irureta will get good tips on a Passionate and Expressive yet Intimidating crowd when he enters the stadium and is greeted by the Curva Sud to a rapturous applause filled with colour, emotion, noise, intensity and expression! :cool:

Tactics / Formation

Probable Line-Up
---------------------

Deportivo fan Bailemos posted this in the Juve-Depo thread so it is better if the line-up is presented by a Depor fan.

At home we might as well play like this (4-1-3-2):

------------------------Molina-------------------------
--
-Scaloni----Andrade----Romero/Naybet/César----Capdevila/Romero
--
--------------------Mauro Silva------------------
--
---Victor-----------Valerón---------Fran-------
--
------------------------------------------Luque------
----------------------Tristan------------------------

But away, definitely like this (4-2-3-1):

------------------------Molina-------------------------
--
-Scaloni---Andrade----Romero/Naybet/César--Capdevila/Romero
--
------------Sergio-------------Mauro Silva-----------
--
---Player X(Victor)-Valerón---------Luque-------
--
----------------------Tristan------------------------

Since this is an away game so Deportivo will play a 5 man midfield which in my mind makes it imperative for Milan to play a 4-3-2-1 system to counter their man advantage. That way we will control the tempo of the game and keep Deportivo in check.

Since Victor is suspended so somebody else will fill his shoes. Pandiani might well get the nod as he seems to be in fine form these days. Tristan could move to the right.

If Tristan is one of the forwards then it is ok for us to play the 4-3-1-2 but with other some mid it is important to play 4-3-2-1. This formation had its most devastating effect on Deportivo so why change a winning formula?

Key Battles

Gattuso Vs. Luque
-----------------------

Luque is nippy and quick hence he must be stopped from causing danger. Gattuso will mark him.

Pirlo Vs. Valeron
---------------------

Deep lying playmaker versus and offensive playmaker. When on form Valeron is enough to rip apart a side alone. His creativity and vision are assets and Pirlo will have to keep him in check and do his stuff as well.

Kaká Vs. Mauro Silva
--------------------------

A young star takes on a Brasilian legend. Flair Vs. Experience. Interesting battle in prospect.

Seedorf Vs. Sergio
-----------------------

The Flying Dutchman is in exemplary form right now! Sergio will have his hands full.

Inzaghi Vs. Andrade
-------------------------

Highly rated defender Andrade is being lined up by Barcelona for a possible move in the Summer. He will have to keep his eyes open for Inzaghi to prevent him from scoring another hat-trick.

KEY MEN

Stealth Bomber
-------------------

The Stealth Bomber put his signature on the UCL and looks to increase his tally. Irureta has targeted Kaká and Cafu as key men so he will concentrate on neutralizing them leaving the Stealth Bomber with the opportunity to remain CALM LIKE A BOMB (Rage Against The Machine) and then suddenly explode into life! :devil:

Juan Carlos Valeron
-------------------------

He was rested specifically for this game. Deportivo's performance in La Liga was a 1-0 win and this game was the reason for the performance according to their coach as they are thinking about this game. Valeron is the weapon and the Jack of All Trades that Irureta wants to pitch against the Rossoneri. Keeping him quiet is never easy but when kept quiet the game is inevitably won.

Prediction

A thunderous San Siro is ready to greet the Galicians to taste what it is like to play with fire! Milan is smashing records in the Serie A and have got a firm grip over there. Concentration and effort is now on this game and Milan has been very cautious to not be complacent and lose concentration for any game.

None of the sides is under-estimating the other and is ready to engage in battle in the Cauldron of Fire! :devil: The world's best defender is absent but the world's most incredible defender at age 37 will be there as a truly able replacement!

Carlo wants a clean sheet for this one and Irureta wants an away goal. A Very tight and tactical battle at hand with SuperDepor concentrating on their quick counters and the Fire Breathing Devil concentrating on their possession football.

-> Milan to win 1-0

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Milan: Dida; Cafu, Costacurta, Paolo Maldini, Pancaro; Pirlo; Gattuso, Kaka, Seedorf; Filippo Inzaghi, Shevchenko.
Deportivo: Molina; Scaloni, Andrade, Naybet, Capdevila; Mauro Silva, Duscher; Sergio, Valeron, Luque; Pandiani.

Marca's lineups are sometimes reliable.

Head 3-1
Heart 1-0

·
Registered
11,477 Posts
I think 1-0 is more reliable prediction, both teams are a bit afraid of each other and will not give away much... Of course a early goal may change things completly.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
I don't think we'll see Milan playing with two defenders and one of them, Maldini, sometimes making offensive runs.
Today we'll see a gathered Milan. Ancelotti respects Deportivo and I expect this game to be rather tactical and not so exciting. It's essential that Deportivo goes home without an away goal.
I have full faith in Milan to score this season as someone always steps up to make the magic that gives the team an edge, whether it is an attacker, midfielder or defender, so the most important part is that Milan doesn't concede. It could easily be an uphill struggle if the team has to travel to Spain with a goal against them.

FORZA MILAN

edit: oh yeah, good luck deportivo. may the best team win.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Deportivo tonight:

------------------------------Molina--------------------------
-Manuel Pablo-----Andrade-----Naybet-------Romero
--------------Duscher--------------Mauro Silva-----------
-Scaloni-----------------Valerón-----------------Luque-------
------------------Walter Gerardo Pandiani--------------------

There are 2 things that might change if Irureta surprises me: Sergio might play instead of Duscher but I don't expect that to happen because we need to guard Kaka. Secondly, Romero might be replaced by Capdevila who scored an important goal vs Murcia but I don't expect that either.

Quivering said:
edit: oh yeah, good luck deportivo. may the best team win.
I hope so :)

Originally posted by Laudrup
You bet he is, Abbiati is pure shite while Dida is one of the very best keepers in Serie A.]

If you say so :D

·
Registered
8,509 Posts
good luck to deportivo.
you should be aware of long power shots (not free kicks), its like a specail weapon Milan have this season, seedorf and kaka are realy dangerous at that.
i expect a very tactical game with a 1:0 or 1:1.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
this should be the most unpredictable pair in the quarter-finals. i think the factors for this strange atmosphere are from milan's past experience at home and depor's victory over juve. milan's results at home are not that promising in euro and italy. as i know milan lost to udinese this mid-table team and surprising club brugge in euro. against club brugge, milan almost only played in club brugge's own side, having more than 30 shots, but could not get a net. if depor purposefully want just a draw in san siro, milan will have drouble to overcome this solid wall than club brugge's. and juve's failure more or less adds some variety to the battle though juve have been doing poor. milan forced out juve, but so did depor. depor should gain more respect for their two deserved wins over juve. moreover, depor's preparation for milan is good enough as they rest many major players last week. as sagyv said, long shots are their main way to attack. clearly remember how inter died. depor should have to play more encounter-attack. sheva and pippo are both break-off-side expects. luque, valeron and sergio would be the key tonight. sergio's free kicks, valeron's dribbling and passing could give a breakthrough. best wishes to both side.

can't wait. :)

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Ivan Helguera said:
as i know milan lost to udinese this mid-table team and surprising club brugge in euro. against club brugge, milan almost only played in club brugge's own side, having more than 30 shots, but could not get a net.
Udinese at home was our only loss in Serie A (so far :) ). Udinese are a very useful team, have had good results against other so-called big teams and are currently in seventh position. As for Brugge, Milan missed dozens of chances and Brugge scored from their one chance. All honor to them.
Ivan Helguera said:
as sagyv said, long shots are their main way to attack.
I have to disagree with you here, Ivan. Long shots from the midfield are something that Milan have added to their arsenal this season. Most of the goals still come from passing and positioning, up close and personal. :D
Ivan Helguera said:
can't wait. :)
Me neither. :)

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
31,893 Posts
who is the captain for Depor?

Thought irureta would place FRAN in to stabalise some nerves.

SCALONI on behalf of VICTOR!... havent seen Scal play for sometime. Both are cool.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts