Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure that most of the people, even though they wouldn't usually support Maribor, will be infront of the TV on Wednesday evening supporting Maribor in this special event. This game will not only be club vs club in the qualifications for the CL, but neighbour vs neighbour, Slovenia vs Croatia. Once again our national pride is on the stake, lets see how well the Štajerci will keep it alive.

Maribor didn't start well in the home league, but they managed to trash the opponents on the weekend and although it's questionable if the result shows the state in which Maribor is (well Drava is not exactly a big team now is it?) one thing definitely is sure: it boosted their moral. They lost a forward a week ago, Pekiè, because of the injury but at least Rakoviè seems to be finding the net again. Plus, one of their key players, Kariè, will be rested, since he couldn't play on the weekend because of the red card.

Dinamo, if I'm not mistaken, started quite well, but luck has winked Maribor and transfered the dangerous Oliæ from Dinamo to CSKA Moskva!

Good luck Maribor!

·
Registered
6,926 Posts
Well yes off course I'll be cheering for Maribor. It's not a secret that Maribor is not my favourite team, but when it comes to European performances they do not represent only their city but also and foremost Slovenija. So it's only natural to me to support them, all the way. Especially against a team like Dinamo, our neighbours team, Croats. It would be the same had they played against some Italian, Austrian or Hungarian team, but having them play against a Croat team just adds some more spice to it.
It is a huge game, and even more than that. I only hope that football will be in the spotlights tomorrow, not some hooligan riots on or off the stadium. We don't need that. Hope that our police will do the job, they have set high safety standards for the game, and I hope they will work. This doesn't concern only to the BBB's but for Viole also. Let the game, well both of them actually, go along without viollence!
As for the match itself, as much as I hate to say it, I must give Dinamo a slight advantage. Off course that doesn't mean thay will win, Maribor certainly have a chance, but they'll have to be at their best. Dinamo's nothing special, Maribor just must get over the psychological barrier that Dinamop could pose, no respect. They must go into the game with nothing to lose, like worriors, let the heart play and all will be fine! It will be hard though, but I hope Maribor will go through!

Maribor 2 : 0 Dinamo

·
©
7,230 Posts
I know this is a huge game but for some reason it doesn't feel like it to me. Maybe tomorrow I will feel different.

I guess Dinamo is favourite but this will be a real derby and I doubt there will be many goals in it, or even shots.:D I could be wrong though.

I just hope football prevails and may the best team win.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Well, my beloved Maribor are playing and they are against the Croations, Dinamo. There is no doubt that I would like to see Maribor destroy Dinamo here as I have many Serbian friends down here who will tease me if the scorline goes the other way. Not only that but Maribor is the birthplace of all of My Slovenian relatives. So as you can imagine the pressure is on for me also. I just hope for a great scoreline which will see Maribor through to the next round.

Good Luck Maribor.:D :tongue:

·
Registered
40,561 Posts
Interesting tie, no doubt.

Don't know what to expect honestly as I rate both teams to be decent, should make for a good hardfought battle and as Dinamovac put it, may football prevail in the end.

Neighbours taking eachother on, I'm anxious to see how the fans will behave.

Anyway good luck to both teams :)

·
Registered
19,633 Posts
I also think Dinamo has an advantage in this match, but still I hope that Maribor can do it. I think 1:0 win would be good result for Maribor.

·
Registered
6,926 Posts
Great to see we all agree about one thing, football must prevail! If only both teams fans would think this way tomorrow!:cool:

·
©
7,230 Posts
I will be very suprised if there is much trouble. Dinamo fans will be met at the border and those without tickets will not be let in. That won't stop some fans coming without tickets but nowhere near the amount that would have come if not for the border checks.

Plus there will be so much police that it will be impossible to cause a huge brawl.

Hopefully I am right.

·
Registered
6,926 Posts
Same here, dinamovac. But you know, people are tricky, and always find ways to cause trouble! As I said, I hope this won't be the case this time arround!

·
Registered
138 Posts
The Maribor - Dinamo game will be a sporting event with the highest level of security in Slovenia ever. There will be 500 policemen and some 300 security personel, all 11 police districts in Slovenia are involved. There will be special police forces, policemen with dogs, policemen on horses, there will be a helicopter with a camera, a water cannon, cameras are installed all over the stadium. Special forces will take control over the state border so that as little BBB-s without tickets as possible will be able to come to Maribor. It all seems like a description of a war zone. The area around the stadium wil be practically sealed so there will be 2 checkpoints for all the spectators. The first one when entering the sealed area and the second one when entering the stadium.

I'll be going to the game with Bobby and Fantastic, some of you know them from WSB (now soccerfansnetwork). We'll go to the town center in the afternoon as soon as we're finished with our jobs. There we'll find a nice spot and discuss the match and the fans over a couple of Laško's. I'm sorry that noone of you is coming to support our team, we could definetely get together and meet eachother in real life.

What to say about the game? I certainly hope that Balajiæ will be able to play but even if he won't, we have to find a replacement. Maybe our chance is their goalie Joziæ who took the No.1 after Butina left and Drpiæ in the defence. It's also very good that Oliæ left, they are way weaker without him. I think the spectators and Viole will be fabulous once again and that can mean really a lot to the players. The most important thing is that they don't get scared, they have to play very brave, with self confidence and a lot of responsibility. If they do that, they have nothing to fear.

·
Registered
6,926 Posts
I like what you wrote Majk, especially the Laško pivo part!:D:drunk: Just hope there won't be too much of an hangover tomorrow:hangover: :D
Anyway I'm getting pretty nervous about the whole thing :nervous: . You just go and win today, that's all I have to say!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't know how serious Balajiæ's injury is but I think he will be ready for the derby. Maribor is just trying to "play" a bit before the game even starts IMVHO. It sure wouldn't hurt them though if he did, as Maribor's defence sucks if he's not there.

I wonder if Cesar will play for Dinamo? :D

BTW, not only our policemen are getting ready for this game, also the croatians. They will not let people without the ticket on the bus, send home the ones who will be drunk or too violent, searched them throughout and won't allow them to take with them offensive banners or any kind of fireworks.

·
Banned
36,097 Posts
Ended 1-1....in 7 days the Maribor fans come to Maksimir for the return leg...

·
Registered
6,926 Posts
What can I say, it was pretty boring. OK the first half was good, nothing special though, two nice goals, especially Maribor's one was really beautifull. Dinamo had a slight iniciative throughout the game and Maribor were playing too defensively. They will really have to give it all they got next week. In the end Maribor can be more satisfied with the result due to the crossbar and a post by Dinamo in the second half. Dinamo got their away goal and are now big favourites to go to the 3rd round. Maribor can still pull it off though, but with much better performance, and less defence minded approach.
The best thing about the game is that there were no fan riots, not in the city, nor on the stadium. Police were well prepaired and did a good job. There were some close incounters by the fans, but nothing serious as I've heard. So all in all it wass quite normal, for such high risk game. Now lets hope for something similar next week in Zagreb, and all will be fine.
:cool:

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
I have huge worries now as Maribor have drawn at home. They must now win in Croatia or at least draw with a score of 2-2 or greater. I dont like our chances going into this game anymore and I can't say I like our chances to qualify for the next stage.

However, if any team could do it, it would have to be Maribor:D :) Let's just hope that the result goes our way in this next leg. Also it is great to hear that there were no riots or trouble at all. :D :tongue:

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Nice result, guys. You'll still need to score in the return leg, though since Dynamo now has the advantage.

Great to hear about how peaceful the game went. A lot of people in Europe can take an example to this. :thumbsup: :star:

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
First and foremost hats down to the fans who managed to behave! :thumbsup:

Well I expected more. Not neccessarily when it comes down to the result, but from Maribor's play. They were not as determined and eager like they should be. They started well, had a few goal-scoring chances and with Rakoviè (I had no idea he won't play because he was ill :confused: ) on the pitch they would have converted them into goal(s). Too bad Pitamic's bomb didn't go in, it would be an euro goal! :D Dinamo's goal was a result of a really bad marking from Maribor's side rather than a good action from Dinamo IMVHO. Pekiè's goal was good though, even better Kariè's back-heel pass :thumbsup:

2nd half was, as Walter put it, boring :yawn: Maribor was non-existant. Luckly Dinamo's attempts didn't lead into a bigger advantage.

Maribor will have a tough job in Zagreb next week. At times it was obvious that Dinamo with it's youth was way quicker than Maribor and I can only imagine that they will take advantage of the home ground.

·
Registered
19,633 Posts
Well, to be honest, I must admit that Dinamo is a better team of the two, specially the trio Kranjcar, Mitu and da Silva, they are very good players. I really cannot see Maribor advancing after this result. :(

As you said, the police was great and allowed no clashes between the fans and the players also behaved very well - only two yellow cards were shown and both of them were very very harsh, so in reality, there should be no yellow cards at all.

·
©
7,230 Posts
Well done to the police and those in charge of organising this whole thing. People and media are congratulating the fans but the only reason there was no trouble was because of the amount of police and the great organisation. If it wasn't for that we would be talking about other things than football.

But thankfully in the end football prevailed.

Dinamo could have gotten even more but in the end I have to be satisfied with the result. We will see what happens in Zagreb.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts