Xtratime Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Winter is Coming.
8,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the draw is out, we've drawn Leverkusen.

walking down memory lane...

·
Registered
16,663 Posts
Great news, I wanted them or Lyon...

I think it will only be us and maybe Arsenal, out of the English clubs, to get into the next round :D

·
nomad
5,597 Posts
As some have wished, we were drewn with Bayer, going to be interesting, hope we beat them well at home so we can not get nervy as much as we did more than a couple of years ago (won 1-0 at Anfield, lost 4-2 away thanks to Ballack's goals and Owen's misses :irritate: )
Anyway, both teams look different as we have a new coach, new players and new everything almost, there's a gulf in class imo between our current squad and the squad of that time, but a sign of resembelence is that back then we had Xavier (who somehow scored in that game :confused: :pp ) and now Josemi, both are considered liabilities to the side.

Bayer don't have Ballack or Ze Ruberto, & I think their manager(s) changed as well, but I am not sure who is their manager is now, whoever he is, hope we can beat them and progress to the quarters.

We want to, we need to, we HAVE to! :Fero:
Come on REDS! :boxing:

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
Leverkusen actually have a decent side and the biggest mistake you could do is to underestimate them.Will be very difficult to come away with a draw from the BayArena where they literally played Real out of the park.The Anfield tie will be key as Liverpool has to win big or I feel they will be eliminated by the Germans.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Bayer Leverkusen's season is similar to Liverpool's: good at home games (6-1-1 BL and 6-1-1 LFC) and dissapointing away (1-4-4 vs 1-3-5).
Only home match of 12 in all competitions Bayer didn't scored at least 2 goals was loss 0-3 to Schalke. 14 goals in 4 CL matches at BayArena.
I like both teams and didn't wanted them to play against each other. But at least one of them will be in quarterfinals.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
Shaf said:
Leverkusen actually have a decent side and the biggest mistake you could do is to underestimate them.

you are funny, Shaf. When was the last time Liverpool underestimated its opponent? I yearn for the days when we showed some arrogance and played with style! So far we only OVERestimate, even if it was Yeovil or Wycombe. Hopefully by the time we play Bayer our confidence grows and we kick them in the rear. :D

we have some unfinished business to do with Bayer. Bring on MU!

·
Registered
21,429 Posts
Shaf said:
Leverkusen actually have a decent side and the biggest mistake you could do is to underestimate them.Will be very difficult to come away with a draw from the BayArena where they literally played Real out of the park.The Anfield tie will be key as Liverpool has to win big or I feel they will be eliminated by the Germans.

Why would we undersetimate anyone, as zico says? Let alone a team that finished first in their group and knocked us out of the CL as mentioned before, so there is definitely no underestimation there.

I'm quite satisfied with the draw, I wanted us to get Leverkusen. Despite everything they are still one of the 'weaker' seeded teams, and of course I really want revenge for that annoying 4:2 loss. Needless to say we have to make some successful moves during January, that'll improve our chances as well.

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
Sorry I don't mean to put a dampner on things or sound pessimistic,but I don't think Liverpool will get past BL.They play pretty consistant concrete football and i think the Reds will be exposed,no offence.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Schumy: Trying to accept what you've said Schumy, I think the reason that Bayer plays more concrete football is that (to me) they have had a less difficult situation to handle and recover from compared to us, starting from the time they lost Ballack and Ze Roberto. They have had a more quiet time to recover from those losses compared to us failing to recover from the disappointing season 2 years back. I think due to that, their players are more settled, plus the less intense media and fan pressure compared to us, they've managed to put together the solid side they have now.

If all the above is any close to how you reasoned your prediction of us not getting past Bayer, then I'd have to say I agree.

On the other hand, I think, the only thing the team needs to do is to adopt & apply the mentality they have when playing at home to the away games.

Honestly, I think, at home, on our day, we can give almost any good current footballing side a good game.

Anyway, we can only predict better with one week to go till the first leg kicks off. by that time, we'll have seen how we and Bayer have progressed through December-March. Till then, VIVA RAFA!

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Karma, two years ago, Bayer lost in the last stage of the champions league, German cup and German league. Then they lost their two most outstanding players Ballack and Ze Roberto to Bayern. And then they were nearly relagated from the Bundesliga. Then they lost their coach. To me, that appears pretty unsettling and distinctly unquiet.

Anyway, its a damn nightmare as far as I am concerned. My two most favorite teams draw each other. I will definitely be heartbroken whatever the result. :(

UEFA I hate you. :(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts