Chelsea (ENG)
Inter Milan (ITA)
Sporting (POR)
Atlético Madrid (ESP)
Villarreal (ESP)
Olympique Lyon (FRA)
Arsenal (ENG)
Real Madrid (ESP)

The Draw will be on Dec 19 Friday. Lot of quality opponents in this group. We have the advantage of playing 2nd leg at home.

Lets start discussing.

I suppose the "weakest" is Sporting.

·
Administrator
52,970 Posts
Ofcourse I would want Sporting, but really only want to avoid Chelsea, no one else (even if Roma pouncing on them showed their flaws and such). Arsenal's pace would be troublesome, but in general seeing all their games in the league, they are quite mediocre and doable if we are in form. Their midfield is quite weak, no DM, chop chop for Momo ala Real.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Lyon would do fine as they are an "elite" team that we wouldn't underestimate but they don't usually threaten much in these stages, right? Sporting obviously would be the best choice. Atletico and Villarreal seem like them kind of teams we will lose against by a 1 goal margin. arsenal don't frighten me too much but I wouldn't say I want them. Chelsea is the team I wanted to avoid most in the competition.

·
Registered
17,530 Posts
I don't really have a preference apart from avoiding Chelsea.

The Spanish teams don't give me much pause, their style of play will suit us more than the English teams.

I just think at this stage it won't make much difference who we face, either we're good enough to beat them and qualify for the quarters or we're not. Given how little we've reinforced from last summer, anything would be a bonus from this point onwards.

·
Registered
10,390 Posts
Im just happy we (RM) wont have to face you again.

·
Administrator
52,970 Posts
Alter Ego, There is allways the quarter finals :hopeful:

·
Registered
9,947 Posts
Im just happy we (RM) wont have to face you again.
Assuming that Juande Ramos becomes successful with you (and I think he will), I am glad we won't face you:)

But above everything, I am happy that we are not facing Barca. I think those guys are killers now, and hardly anyone is really capable of stopping them.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Wait till Messi gets his mandatory 1/4 final (or is it round of 16?) injury.

·
Administrator
52,970 Posts
:howler:

Not convinced Wenger will sign a DM, he had whole summer to do so, and didnt.

·
Registered
42,783 Posts
After how fragile the planks of the barn have reacted in the wind these past few months, I would hope that somehow Wenger will react. :doh: Sorry, I'll stop taking the thread off-topic, dipshit.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
i would want sporting or arsenal.
One becuase its the weakest and the other because they beat us before so i figure the probability of us winning leans towards us more.

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
There's a world of difference between what Arsenal can send out there and what they have been sending out there for the past few months. They do miss Flamini a lot, but I would feel very much less than confident drawing them. Chelsea would be quite bad, although a Chelsea on form would be worse for us than an Arsenal on form. A mediocre Chelsea is still a bitch of team to draw whereas a mediocre Arsenal can be preyed on.

Otherwise it will be tough but doable.
Now - lets get Sporting... :).

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
i'd like to avoid chelsea and villareal if possible. villareal are one of those teams with not many big names but are very well coached and play a very tactical system. those are usually the teams that give us fits-alla deportivo years back if you'll recall.

tis a shame we can't match up against inter because i'd love to take those european bidone to the cleaners.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts