XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
date: december 19, 2008

give me barca... :fero:

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I prefer ManU over Barca. This Barca team is very strong, better save them for later.

Everyone thinks ManU is the best team in the world, but they are tired this year.

·
Registered
54,576 Posts
The likely Inter draw will be from

Barcelona
Liverpool
Man Utd
Bayern/Lyon
Arsenal/Porto

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
I think you'd do well with Arsenal.

·
Registered
62,614 Posts
I think you'd do well with Arsenal.
:googly:

What candy-man said to Carson.

Barca, Man U or Arsenal means we're definitely going out. Those teams have the best midfields in football.

The rest, well, we'd have a chance imo. Not much, a fighting chance.

UEFA will probably draw us with Liverpool to renew the hostilties from last season (and Mourniho's rivalry with them adds more spice..), though hopefully this time the refs won't be retarded like De Blesomething and that bald guy from Norway.

·
Registered
33,665 Posts
The Mou spice would make a defeat to Liverpool all the more unbearable...:stress: and a victory ever sweeter. :horny:

I predict a last-gasp added time Gerrard lucky punch at Anfield, though. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
33,665 Posts
Arsenal are the queen of hot'n'cold, but it we'd run great risks against their quick players, obviously. Yet they weren't that impressive overall against geriatric Milan last year, actually.

Bayern could work out for us. They often have troubles of their own.

·
Registered
33,665 Posts
I'm not much of a mathematician, but I guess statistically there's a slightly bigger risk of us drawing Barca resp. to the others, since there are 4 teams which they are bound to avoid from the second placed teams (3 most likely being spanish)?

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
too bad that chelsea didn't finish 1st in their group or we finished first in our group...would have been great if we got chelsea in the next round... :D

·
Registered
62,614 Posts
I'm not much of a mathematician, but I guess statistically there's a slightly bigger risk of us drawing Barca resp. to the others, since there are 4 teams which they are bound to avoid from the second placed teams (3 most likely being spanish)?
The good thing about drawing Barca is that we'd be clear underdogs. In the event of elimination I very much doubt a demented rival would say "Haha you lost to Barca", because that would be the norm for any side at the moment. Of course, to avoid an embarrassment we'll need to be at our absolute best defensively, field 4 CMs and pray that Zlatan and Maicon make an impact.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
:googly:
What candy-man said to Carson.
To be fair, I don't watch Arsenal but I know they have a reputation of being softies and getting bullied by the more physical teams, and you're team isn't that slow either like the Juve of Capello. I mean they're a better bet than Man U who can probably match you physically but can kick your balls in a very skillfil way, and Barca, well nobody wants them.

·
Registered
33,665 Posts
The good thing about drawing Barca is that we'd be clear underdogs. In the event of elimination I very much doubt a demented rival would say "Haha you lost to Barca", because that would be the norm for any side at the moment. Of course, to avoid an embarrassment we'll need to be at our absolute best defensively, field 4 CMs and pray that Zlatan and Maicon make an impact.
Perhaps a repeat of us knocking out whining Benitez' Valencia? :)

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
That is actually true. They avoid 4 teams, we avoid 3 so Barca vs. Inter has a higher chance than any other match except Chelsea vs. Barca since Chelsea also avoid 4 teams.

·
First Place winner, January 2009 Photo Contest
4,108 Posts
Am I the only one who doesn't give a rats ass about the CL group stage? I didn't watch a single one of our group-stage matches this season.

When the groups were drawn, I knew Inter would go through the paces and reach the knockouts. 1st or 2nd place, whatever. If I can't even be motivated to watch it, just imagine how motivated the players were to actually play against some second rate Cypriot team.

The group stage is horseshit, you could pretty much pick the two teams going through before a single match was played. I don't put to much stock into it.

I could also care less who we face at this point. Inter are every bit as big and ambitious as Barca, Man U, Arsenal etc, and to be the best you must beat the best. CL is a lottery in many ways, just pray we hit top form at the right time and stay injury free.

·
Registered
62,614 Posts
R2k will be in for a rude awakening come March..

Now those are 2 games I should not bother watching (but of course I will :stuckup: ), why torture myself when I know the final outcome? :stress:

1 - 20 of 121 Posts