Bayern Munich v Arsenal
FC Porto v Inter Milan
Barcelona v Chelsea
Manchester United v AC Milan
Werder Bremen v Lyon

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
I think they are relatively good opponents to face at this stage. Leverkusen and Bremen can easily win. Bayern has the harder game, but still acceptable. The only problem is their fast attacking players (Henry, Reyes) who can cause our average defense lots of problems.

·
Registered
33,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Would have been the same with me with Bayern and AC Milan, though...

[look away Manuel and LIT]

...this season I would prefer Bayern to win the title.

·
Registered
15,061 Posts
Juve vs Real would have been a potential final some years ago, Lit ;)

Rite now, Real was the team I dreamed to face in the 1/8th final for Milan, a walk in the park. Damn lucky Juve.

Tim, I am in a shock&awe, to use adjectives you yanks are firm with ;) Bayern is absolutely disgusting and in no way comparable to a noble champion like Milan, how can u compare them :yuck: :eek: and even prefer them over Milan this season.

Man Utd was the worst possible scenario for Milan, but I think we are still favourites to come through. However it couldnt have come worse.

For the German teams, it looks very very promising.

Leverkusen avoided Barca and Man Utd and got a team like Pool that they should be capable of pushing away if they manage to play for a few games on a streak with a bit of continuity. Very pleasant draw.

Bremen avoided all kind of big clubs like Milan, Chelsea, Juve etc and got themselves a beatable opponent too.

Now for Bayern, Arsenal is a tough draw, but not as bad as it could have been (read esp. MILAN ;) ). Their defense should be managable for Makaay and Co, question will remain what their lousy defense will do to stop Henry and partners. Well, maybe Henrys mind will consider this match as a very big one and therefore he will choke as usual, could help Bayern a lot :tongue:

It will be interesting to see Kahn vs Lehmann though.

In Uefa Cup it looks even better IMO.

Stuttgart is clear favourite vs Parma, who are not only in piss poor form in both league and European competion but also nowadays simply inferior on the paper vs Stuttgart.

Aachen has a task that they might be able to solve, too. Alkmaar... could have come worse for the 2nd division outfit. Moreover I simply love German-Dutch encounters :D

Schalke has a difficult one. Donezk aint an easy opponent. On the paper again, Schalke is the fav, but still, I consider the match vs the team from the Ucraine as the most difficult one so far for the German teams.

·
Banned
3,469 Posts
Bayern v Arsenal is great, but Henry actually plays better in big games - the 'choking' bullshit was from retards in the English tabloid press, who think that second-rate English cup Finals (where Henry hasn't done much) are bigger games than Euro 2000 Final (Man Of the Match award), away games in CL (2 goals away to Inter, hat-trick at AS Roma), and league-deciding games against Man U and Chelsea (when Henry scores for fun - especially against Man U).
Arsenal can't defend, and Pizarro, Ballack and especially Makaay could enjoy themselves as much as Henry.
Ballack, Lucio and ze Roberto will want revenge for the 4-1 hammering they were dealt by Arsenal in the CL game for Leverkusen.

Psycho said:
Man Utd was the worst possible scenario for Milan, but I think we are still favourites to come through. However it couldnt have come worse.
Man United are further behind the EPL leaders than leverkusen are behind Bayern & Schalke, and they are gutted at drawing Milan. They were praying for Monaco. If Milan can't beat Man Utd there is something very wrong.

Bayer Leverkusen should dump liverpool, Werder have been given a really tough tie v Lyons, but are good enough in my opinion.

I predict the perfect outcome for German fans: Bayer Leverkusen, Werder Bremen and Arsenal to go through;)
I think Oliver Kahn will be unable to resist the temptation to mouth off about Arsenal before the tie - like against Werder Bremen at the end of last season:D

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Well this draw is bittersweet!

Two teams I really love will be playing each other. What a cruel cruel draw. I would have loved both Bayer and Liverpool to go through. But sadly, theres no way for that to happen. I am going to be heartbroken irrespective of which team wins. :(

I do hope Bayern's defence can hold out against Arsenal. From what (little) I have seen, Bayern's defence looks to be a little slow. But the small pitch at Highbury ;) should favor them in that respect. There is no doubt that Arsenal's defence can be beaten. Even in today's game against Portsmouth there were many many times when they were caught out. So it's a question of whether Makaay and Co. can take their chances. In my assessment it's 51-49 in favor of Bayern. But I hope Kahn can hold the shots. He has developed a rather worrying tendency to drop the ball at the opposing strikers feet!

And I think Werder have a good chance of going through. Lyon are a very capable side though and it will be tough but I really like the way Werder have played so far and I think they will be strong enough to get the result.

·
Registered
59,327 Posts
I'm going with Bayern in their tie against Arsenal. Not just because I 'm a Spurs fan but because they've always done well against English sides (bar that flukey final).

I'm also going with Bremen against Lyon. Should be a tight one in a game between 2 well worked sides.

However I got to go with Liverpool in the tie against Leverkusen. Both sides are really inconsistant but if Liverpool get Morientes for 3,5 million pounds which is a realisitic possiblity and if Gerrard/Xabi Alonso are fit, I tip Rafael Benitez's men to go through.

·
Banned
3,469 Posts
Wally said:
I'm going with Bayern in their tie against Arsenal. Not just because I 'm a Spurs fan but because they've always done well against English sides (bar that flukey final).

I'm also going with Bremen against Lyon. Should be a tight one in a game between 2 well worked sides.

However I got to go with Liverpool in the tie against Leverkusen. Both sides are really inconsistant but if Liverpool get Morientes for 3,5 million pounds which is a realisitic possiblity and if Gerrard/Xabi Alonso are fit, I tip Rafael Benitez's men to go through.
But wouldn't Morientes be cup-tied for the CL? (I hope so!)

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
Rafo said:
I think they are relatively good opponents to face at this stage. Leverkusen and Bremen can easily win. Bayern has the harder game, but still acceptable. The only problem is their fast attacking players (Henry, Reyes) who can cause our average defense lots of problems.
I think so too, Bayern has a lot of problems with fast strikers (see the game vs. Juventus, Ibrahimovic and Del Piero). The Bayern defenders are not known for their world class and they are pretty old players (exception Kuffour and Rau), but Kuffour often plays terrible and allows too many goals

·
Registered
33,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Psycho said:
Tim, I am in a shock&awe, to use adjectives you yanks are firm with ;) Bayern is absolutely disgusting and in no way comparable to a noble champion like Milan, how can u compare them :yuck: :eek: and even prefer them over Milan this season.
Yes, for the most part, Bayern aren't playing very attractive football. Plus Olli's making stupid mistakes, the defense is rather shaky, the midfield is having creativity problems, etc. But precisely because of these problems and because I like "Quelix" Magath, I am hoping for a Champions League win, to help "soothe" the pain. :D ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts