Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
time to forget the league. please release your disappointment and anger to juve! all four spanish teams through to the quarter-finals! :( ;)

forza depor! :fero:

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Forza Depor!
Let's **** up the bianconeri ***** 3-0 and release some anger.:D
EL Rifle should start since Diego has been so crap recently...

Here's my lineup:
Molina

Romero
Naybet
Andrade
Scaloni

Mauro
Sergio

Luque
Valeron
Victor

Pandiani

btw i dont get many opportunites to see depor in action but does anyone know why munitis doesn't play? is he really that crappy? i was expecting good things from him when we got him in the summer..

·
Registered
69,729 Posts
BaDaniS said:

btw i dont get many opportunites to see depor in action but does anyone know why munitis doesn't play? is he really that crappy? i was expecting good things from him when we got him in the summer..
I haven´t watched still a game with him playing with Depor :rolleyes:

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Id rather the Italians of course here, even if they are Juve!!!

Spain will not get 4 teams through for sure, with Sociedad and Vigo looking in bad shape, even Madrid has a tough game... Depor has a great chance of advancing and I really think they will... Juve though have a real knack of pulling off undeserved wins and they may get a 1-0 and a lats minute penalty to win 2-0 or something like this...

Having said that, I cant see Depor NOT scoring... so Juve may have to score 3.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Munitis is not playing because we have better wingers. He's a substitute and I've seen him a couple of times. Tries to do a lot during his few minutes but it turns out not very well, a bit selfish trying to make a big influence. Can't really compare to starting wingers Luque/Fran, Victor/Scaloni.

·
Registered
11,208 Posts
--->>> It is a not a thoroughly written preview so excuse the mistakes and excitement! Time constraints of studies!

UEFA Champions League

-----------------------------
--------Round-16------------

March 9, 2004 - Tuesday

JUVENTUS FC --- Vs. --- RC DEPORTIVO LA CORUŇA

---------------------- 2nd LEG -------------------------

------------Stadio Delle Alpi, Turin - Italia -----------

Aggregate: 0-1

Preview

The Raging Bull is in a fight with a SuperDepor Matador hell bent on winning this battle!!! SuperDepor grabbed the initiative in the first leg by a slim 1-0 margin but Juve not scoring an away goal could well come back to haunt them!!!

The Juve defence is having some problems and it will be extremely tough for them to keep a clean sheet! Depor knows that the La Liga crown is slipping away from them with the top two sides fighting it out. They will be more worried about keeping Barcelona away than winning La Liga. The UCL is a last frontier for them and they have the almost ideal result to fire themselves up!

If Juve's defence is having problems then SuperDepor's defence has been non-existant especially in their away games!!! 1 goal to AEK Athens, 8 to Monaco and 3 to PSV who seemingly cannot win a European game at home!!

This is encouraging for the Raging Bull as Depo has not been good at their visits.

The key for Juve is to score goals as they can and keep the pressure up rather than playing the patient game. What Lippi has to do is simply tell them to play like they did against Real. The game plan should be on those lines! Juve will concede a goal. It would be a miracle if they can keep a clean sheet. 3 goals is what they need at least and they can get them!! If PSV and with all due respect to PSV ... can score 3 then it is not out of reach!

A tough tug of war is expected. I would normally count this as a factor but don't know ... how much is the ticket sales for this game??

Juventus FC

Juve have had some problems creeping in with injuries and suspensions hampering them. The defence will be of concern to Marcello Lippi and the brilliant tactician that he is ... will obviously come up with a solution. It is obvious that Thuram has to shift to the centre to give some solidity. Deportivo are not the kind of side who will use the flanks ... they are a central attacking kind of side who utilize the counter attack with Valeron threading passes.

Tactics / Formation

The biggest blow is the absence of Birindelli and Zambrotta! That will hurt Juve the most! Juve's is renowned for their strength to play as a team that just doesnot give up!!! They just don't!! Playing ordinary and still in with a shot to winning the Scudetto and three-peat speaks volumes of the Juve spirit and I respect that .... a lot! :star:

Lippi has to come with a tactical masterclass like he did against Real to get Juve out of this hole!!! IMO he did half of the tactical thing rightly by giving Nedved 5 days off resulting in a superb game from him and customary long range goal returning although this was from just inside the penalty area but you get my drift!

Second was to rest DP and gear him up for the crucial tie! Now the tactics for the defence are the only question!

Probable Line-Up
----------------------

-------------------------Buffon-----------------------
-
--Pessotto-----Thuram-----Legro-----Montero--
--
------Camoranesi----Tacchinardi----Appiah------
--
-----------------------Nedved-------------------------
--
-----------------Miccoli-------Del Piero------------

My personal preference would be Ferrara and Thuram in the centre but I donot know if Ferrara can last the 90 mins? Montero can play left back because Deportivo will not spread out that much on that flank. Pessotto the old warrior and utility man will do just fine. He always does! Legro can be played but only if Thuram is in the centre!

The probable back 4 could be: Thuram-Legro-Montero-Pessotto but then again everybody thought that Juve would defend and play the patient game against Real in Turin! The smartest dressed coach in world football always has a trick up his sleeve!

The rest of the team looks healthy and should do well.

RC Deportivo La Coruňa

They have been called the Comeback Kings and the Giant Killers in the past. They are close to getting a scalp but it won't be a stroll!! Depo have their own problems of conceding too many on their European visits. In La Liga as well their form has dipped a bit but I don't compare league form with the European form as they are different paths! Depo controlled the first leg and played decent enough to get a positive result! Del Piero missed two guilt edged chances and will be looking to redeem himself!

Deportivo will look forward to Valeron to have one of those superb games where he tore apart Man U and Arsenal in their own background. But Depo likes English sides and Juve is not an English side.

Tactics / Formation

Javier Irureta has a very healthy side with him and his weak spot will be the left back Romero who is absent. Juve's strong side in the game! The side is capable enough to get a win let alone a result! Deportivo usually goes for the counter attack on their visits. Last season Makaay scored two and one was a beauty! Tristan and Valeron will need to be on their game but so far Luque is the guy on fire!

Probable Line-Up
----------------------

------------------------Molina-------------------------
--
-M Pablo-----Andrade-----Naybet--------Scaloni
--
------------Sergio-------------Mauro-----------
--
---Victor-----------Valeron---------Luque-------
--
----------------------Tristan------------------------

Key Battles

Buffon vs. Depor
----------------------

He cannot afford a mistake! Simple as! Last thing Juve need is a mistake from him!

Tacchinardi Vs. Valeron

Valeron will try to run the show again. The man has the ability to win a game on his own. Very dangerous player!! Just depends whether he is on form!! An Italian defence can keep him in check but Juve's defence is not exactly on form nowadays!

Tristan Vs. Legrottaglie

Thuram is needed to stop the attacking trident doing damage! Thuram's mistake ironically from the middle caused the first goal where Luque pounced but he is needed in the middle. Lippi is a master and he will make the correct decision be it right back or centre!

Nedved Vs. Sergio
------------------------

He is pumped up for this game. His reaction after the third said it all. Period!

Miccoli vs. Andrade
------------------------

Big up to the penalty conversion maestro of the hour! Converting three out of three deserves credit when your team is down 2-0! The little slippery fish is a one to watch out for! Crapattoni are you seeing these kids??? Cassano, Miccoli, Pirlo etc??? Or are you taking Di Livio this time as well?

Key Men

Alessandro Del Piero aka Pinturicchio
----------------------------------------------

Juve legend and captain has to deliver for his club this time!!! He did it in the past but his club is hanging by a thread this time!!! His rest will do him well. I get the feeling that whenever DP goes for the sweet finish he misses out. He is at his best when he goes for the killer striker with aggression!! I still remember his goal in the final game of the 2001 Scudetto and just before he was about to kick I said to myself ... if he goes for the Euro 2000 type clean finish he will not score but if he goes for the pre-99 DP strike he scores!

Did the same against Real. When he uses finesse he misses more often than not and when he is aggressive he scores!

Albert Luque
----------------

Luque is one to watch out at the Euro when given the chance!!! Spain is spoilt for choice in the department but he is having a good season!!! Dangerous all the same!!

Tristan being somewhat out of form has given him the spotlight and he is doing very well to grab his opportunity! A single goal from him will put Juve under intense and immense pressure!

Prediction

What a difficult one to predict! I am lost in two minds!!! Everytime I think Juve is gonna miss out makes me believe that they will just not give up without a fight. Their problems are away from home not at home!

At the start of the season when Juve hosted Galatasaray the commentator on Sky Sports was giving some stats of team records at home. Juve has one of the best and most convincing records at home of all teams!

There are two scenarios in this game. Sink or swim and it applies for both sides!!!

Juve will come at Deportivo and Deportivo will want to get their away goal to make the task difficult for Juve. I don't count performances of leagues to predict games in the UCL but one thing that can count is team spirit. I missed the Val-Depo game due to the Milan encounter but what I saw in the Juve game was team spirit and a hugely pumped up side!!!

That was fightback and not giving up. The players going to the sidelines with Ferrara and DP etc congratulating them and players celebrating like that is not seen in every game! The Juve spirit alive and kicking!

First 20 mins will decide the tempo of the tie! That is all I can predict! Juve playing the patient game will self-destruct. It has to be Go from kick-off!! No waiting game will win this tie as Depo holds the cards and the possible straight flush!

Juve has to play fast and pound their defence to make the tie even as quickly as possible and then it's GAME ON! If not then its GAME OVER!

-> First 20 mins will decide the trend shift!

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Haroon said:
--->>> It is a not a thoroughly written preview so excuse the mistakes and excitement! Time constraints of studies!

UEFA Champions League

--------Round-16------------

March 9, 2004 - Tuesday

JUVENTUS FC --- Vs. --- RC DEPORTIVO LA CORUŇA

---------------------- 2nd LEG -------------------------

------------Stadio Delle Alpi, Turin - Italia -----------

Aggregate: 0-1

Preview

The Raging Bull is in a fight with a SuperDepor Matador hell bent on winning this battle!!! SuperDepor grabbed the initiative in the first leg by a slim 1-0 margin but Juve not scoring an away goal could well come back to haunt them!!!

The Juve defence is having some problems and it will be extremely tough for them to keep a clean sheet! Depor knows that the La Liga crown is slipping away from them with the top two sides fighting it out. They will be more worried about keeping Barcelona away than winning La Liga. The UCL is a last frontier for them and they have the almost ideal result to fire themselves up!

If Juve's defence is having problems then SuperDepor's defence has been non-existant especially in their away games!!! 1 goal to AEK Athens, 8 to Monaco and 3 to PSV who seemingly cannot win a European game at home!!

This is encouraging for the Raging Bull as Depo has not been good at their visits.

The key for Juve is to score goals as they can and keep the pressure up rather than playing the patient game. What Lippi has to do is simply tell them to play like they did against Real. The game plan should be on those lines! Juve will concede a goal. It would be a miracle if they can keep a clean sheet. 3 goals is what they need at least and they can get them!! If PSV and with all due respect to PSV ... can score 3 then it is not out of reach!

A tough tug of war is expected. I would normally count this as a factor but don't know ... how much is the ticket sales for this game??

Juventus FC

Juve have had some problems creeping in with injuries and suspensions hampering them. The defence will be of concern to Marcello Lippi and the brilliant tactician that he is ... will obviously come up with a solution. It is obvious that Thuram has to shift to the centre to give some solidity. Deportivo are not the kind of side who will use the flanks ... they are a central attacking kind of side who utilize the counter attack with Valeron threading passes.

Tactics / Formation

The biggest blow is the absence of Birindelli and Zambrotta! That will hurt Juve the most! Juve's is renowned for their strength to play as a team that just doesnot give up!!! They just don't!! Playing ordinary and still in with a shot to winning the Scudetto and three-peat speaks volumes of the Juve spirit and I respect that .... a lot! :star:

Lippi has to come with a tactical masterclass like he did against Real to get Juve out of this hole!!! IMO he did half of the tactical thing rightly by giving Nedved 5 days off resulting in a superb game from him and customary long range goal returning although this was from just inside the penalty area but you get my drift!

Second was to rest DP and gear him up for the crucial tie! Now the tactics for the defence are the only question!

Probable Line-Up
----------------------

-------------------------Buffon-----------------------
-
--Pessotto-----Thuram-----Legro-----Montero--
--
------Camoranesi----Tacchinardi----Appiah------
--
-----------------------Nedved-------------------------
--
-----------------Miccoli-------Del Piero------------

My personal preference would be Ferrara and Thuram in the centre but I donot know if Ferrara can last the 90 mins? Montero can play left back because Deportivo will not spread out that much on that flank. Pessotto the old warrior and utility man will do just fine. He always does! Legro can be played but only if Thuram is in the centre!

The probable back 4 could be: Thuram-Legro-Montero-Pessotto but then again everybody thought that Juve would defend and play the patient game against Real in Turin! The smartest dressed coach in world football always has a trick up his sleeve!

The rest of the team looks healthy and should do well.

RC Deportivo La Coruňa

They have been called the Comeback Kings and the Giant Killers in the past. They are close to getting a scalp but it won't be a stroll!! Depo have their own problems of conceding too many on their European visits. In La Liga as well their form has dipped a bit but I don't compare league form with the European form as they are different paths! Depo controlled the first leg and played decent enough to get a positive result! Del Piero missed two guilt edged chances and will be looking to redeem himself!

Deportivo will look forward to Valeron to have one of those superb games where he tore apart Man U and Arsenal in their own background. But Depo likes English sides and Juve is not an English side.

Tactics / Formation

Javier Irureta has a very healthy side with him and his weak spot will be the left back Romero who is absent. Juve's strong side in the game! The side is capable enough to get a win let alone a result! Deportivo usually goes for the counter attack on their visits. Last season Makaay scored two and one was a beauty! Tristan and Valeron will need to be on their game but so far Luque is the guy on fire!

Probable Line-Up
----------------------

------------------------Molina-------------------------
--
-M Pablo-----Andrade-----Naybet--------Scaloni
--
------------Sergio-------------Mauro-----------
--
---Victor-----------Valeron---------Luque-------
--
----------------------Tristan------------------------

Key Battles

Buffon vs. Depor
----------------------

He cannot afford a mistake! Simple as! Last thing Juve need is a mistake from him!

Tacchinardi Vs. Valeron

Valeron will try to run the show again. The man has the ability to win a game on his own. Very dangerous player!! Just depends whether he is on form!! An Italian defence can keep him in check but Juve's defence is not exactly on form nowadays!

Tristan Vs. Legrottaglie

Thuram is needed to stop the attacking trident doing damage! Thuram's mistake ironically from the middle caused the first goal where Luque pounced but he is needed in the middle. Lippi is a master and he will make the correct decision be it right back or centre!

Nedved Vs. Sergio
------------------------

He is pumped up for this game. His reaction after the third said it all. Period!

Miccoli vs. Andrade
------------------------

Big up to the penalty conversion maestro of the hour! Converting three out of three deserves credit when your team is down 2-0! The little slippery fish is a one to watch out for! Crapattoni are you seeing these kids??? Cassano, Miccoli, Pirlo etc??? Or are you taking Di Livio this time as well?

Key Men

Alessandro Del Piero aka Pinturicchio
----------------------------------------------

Juve legend and captain has to deliver for his club this time!!! He did it in the past but his club is hanging by a thread this time!!! His rest will do him well. I get the feeling that whenever DP goes for the sweet finish he misses out. He is at his best when he goes for the killer striker with aggression!! I still remember his goal in the final game of the 2001 Scudetto and just before he was about to kick I said to myself ... if he goes for the Euro 2000 type clean finish he will not score but if he goes for the pre-99 DP strike he scores!

Did the same against Real. When he uses finesse he misses more often than not and when he is aggressive he scores!

Albert Luque
----------------

Luque is one to watch out at the Euro when given the chance!!! Spain is spoilt for choice in the department but he is having a good season!!! Dangerous all the same!!

Tristan being somewhat out of form has given him the spotlight and he is doing very well to grab his opportunity! A single goal from him will put Juve under intense and immense pressure!

Prediction

What a difficult one to predict! I am lost in two minds!!! Everytime I think Juve is gonna miss out makes me believe that they will just not give up without a fight. Their problems are away from home not at home!

At the start of the season when Juve hosted Galatasaray the commentator on Sky Sports was giving some stats of team records at home. Juve has one of the best and most convincing records at home of all teams!

There are two scenarios in this game. Sink or swim and it applies for both sides!!!

Juve will come at Deportivo and Deportivo will want to get their away goal to make the task difficult for Juve. I don't count performances of leagues to predict games in the UCL but one thing that can count is team spirit. I missed the Val-Depo game due to the Milan encounter but what I saw in the Juve game was team spirit and a hugely pumped up side!!!

That was fightback and not giving up. The players going to the sidelines with Ferrara and DP etc congratulating them and players celebrating like that is not seen in every game! The Juve spirit alive and kicking!

First 20 mins will decide the tempo of the tie! That is all I can predict! Juve playing the patient game will self-destruct. It has to be Go from kick-off!! No waiting game will win this tie as Depo holds the cards and the possible straight flush!

Juve has to play fast and pound their defence to make the tie even as quickly as possible and then it's GAME ON! If not then its GAME OVER!

-> First 20 mins will decide the trend shift!
Time constraints and studies??
That must of been been the longest preview i've ever seen written by somebody on Xtratime...
You had some interesting stuff in there, good work dude :thumbsup:

Luque will have to work realy really hard on that left wing because Thuram is simply a rock! IMO if Victor has a good game, we're gonna own Juve's left wing(our right wing) and Valeron and which ever the striker is really need to have a good game..

My prediction is 1-0 : Victor.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Doh BaDaniS, take it easy will ya.;)

It's a tough match for both side, and it will depend on who wants it more. My team lack that hunger nowadays, but they have surprised me frequently before, so… it’s pretty open.

Hope the best team on the night went through.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
as you have said, depor's away game performance is really surprising to concede eight goals to monaco. :eek: still clearly remember this record of champion league. what a shame! just hope irureta doesn't stick to tristan in the decisive moment. this is not the time to prove his decision right! (welcome to testify tristan against us. :D ) pandiani can make the game much more easier for sure. :rolleyes: juve could not last their luck anymore. no goal in the last minute! revenge for us, barca and yourselves! :fero: curse on spanish teams from juve. :(

p.s. haroon, look for a job of soccer journalist right now. don't waste your enthusiasm for football. proud of you. ;)

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Outstanding review, Haroon, as always.

What I disagree with:
-Last season it was Deportivo that controlled the match in Turin (with more than 60% of ball possession) and Juventus was on counter-attacks. The Depor-Juve matches have always been like that. Tristán and Makaay scored both one goal each. I guess Makaay's goal was the beauty you mentioned.

-Based on the match at the Riazor 2 weeks ago I could say Juve's defence was strong, especially in the air and if Ferrara plays, it would be even stronger. Depor's defence has been excellent throughout the season, home and away, I can assure. Judging our defence based on the 'accident' in Monaco (8-3) is the same as judging Juventus' offence based on the match vs Olympiacos (7-0), both ratings would be very inaccurate in that case.

-Scaloni is a right side winger/defender, will start at right back probably instead of M.Pablo, while Capdevila will be our left-back now that Romero is sick. A question is whether it'll be Duscher and Sergio who starts, Duscher is a bit more defensive and can help to stop Nedved better but I don't think we can manage without Sergio's great offensive contribution to the midfield.

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
You ahve the best chance ever of getting a win in Turin. We play atrocious football. We miss three key players (Trezeguet, Zambrotta and Maresca) and we have several other players injured or direly out of form. In total- we should have 3 senior players on the bench. Rest will be from the Primavera.

Comments on Haroon's preview....
If Montero starts at left back.... I'll go bunkers. He has been humiliated there every time the last 3 years.

It should be Thuram Ferrara Montero(or Legro) Pessotto

Rest is natural, as there are no other players to select in the senior squad.... save for Iuliano who will CERTAINLY be on the bench considering how criminally poor he has been recently.

Well... Miccoli will be on the bench and he's a great player, but DP will start instead because he's DP, and it'll be Di Vaio as we need one typical striker type in this game where getting goals are crucial.

·
Registered
14,528 Posts
I would be cheering for Deportivo in this match and for all the Spanish teams, but Deportivo mostly as they are the only ones with a realistic chance of qualifying from the spanish teams.(apart from real madrid)

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
31,893 Posts
VICTOR will be the man on the right side... Zam is not there... see if Montero start.

Leggro looking bit strange in central defense. did a good job @ Riazor...

Pretty balanced... The rest will depend on the Lippi v Irureta chessgame.

If Depor plays defensive... they are screwed... Nedved can find the little holes available for his long-range firing. Thinking about how Juve won Real at Turin. its really scary. But then again... NO superZam.

Good Luck

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
I think it depends on Deportivo, we can find the great Depor we all know like in the 2nd half against Barça or the 2nd time in Valencia, or we can find the awful team of other times.

I think Juve has the weakest team in years. They would have lost against Brescia, if it's not for the ref. So they are not scary at all. The stadium is the coldest in Europe.

Depor has quality enough to progress... if they don't have the stupid day.

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
Congrats Depor!

I'm very disappointed right now, but in all honesty you have the better side this year. Not tonight, but we didn't create much of anything and after gifting you the goal you wisely sat back and administrated the lead.

By all accounts- your performance at home and the superiority you showed there leads me to conclude that the best team moved on.

Good luck :).

1 - 20 of 66 Posts