Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Champions League 2009/10, Round of 16, Second Leg
AC Fiorentina v FC Bayern München

Stadium: Artemio Franchi (Florence, Italy)
Kick-off: Tuesday, 9 March 2010, 20.45h

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Probable line-up:
Butt - Lahm, van Buyten, Badstuber, Alaba (Pranjic) - van Bommel, Schweinsteiger - Ribéry, Robben - Müller, Gomez

Bench: Rensing, Pranjic, Görlitz, Altintop, Tymoshchuk, Klose, Olic.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fiorentina line-up on Saturday:
Frey - Comotto (De Silvestri 79), Felipe, Natali, Gobbi - Zanetti (Keirrison 73), Montolivo - Vargas (Bolatti 57), Jovetic, Marchionni - Gilardino

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I think we will struggle in this game.

I see fiorentina playing 3 in the middle and outnumbering Van Bommel+ schweini. I also see Robben + Ribery isolated too often and attempting solo dribbles.

I hope I am wrong.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I dont want Müller to start honestly. I want to see Klose-Gomez upfront and if it was up to me, I'd give Görlitz a chance as RB instead of risking with Alaba. In fact, this line-up could work well:

------------------Butt-------------------

--Görlitz--van Buyten--Badstuber---Lahm--

----------van Bommel---Alaba-------------

-------------Schweinsteiger---------------

---Robben------------------------Ribéry---

-------------------Gomez-------------------​

Its important to pack up in midfield as Ed said, cause honestly that is why Fiorentina had a great match in Munich. Schweinsteiger and Bommel are going to need help in midfield. Knowing van Gaal however, he'd probably line-up the same way we did against Köln. I hope that line-up works.

·
Registered
17,530 Posts
What do you have against Müller?

And honestly, playing Alaba in more or less the most important match in the upcoming weeks is like putting all your money on a number in Roulette...

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What do you have against Müller?

And honestly, playing Alaba in more or less the most important match in the upcoming weeks is like putting all your money on a number in Roulette...
I have nothing against him, he's just been out of form lately and it's unfair that a player like Klose or Olic has to be on the bench meanwhile Müller is not at his prime.

Thats why I think Görlitz should start. Alaba could replace Müller and be another CM to company Bommel and Schweini. If not, then Klose/Olic for Müller.

·
Registered
17,530 Posts
But Müller has been the one giving the assist. I don't think he is playing that bad.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What's an Alaba?
Reserve player from Bayern. David Alaba (born 24 June 1992) is an Austrian international footballer who plays for Bayern Munich II.

He plays as a left or central midfielder. He also became Bayern's youngest ever player in a competitive fixture, at 17 years, 7 months and 8 days old.

·
Registered
17,530 Posts
Seems like Alaba might start. Ribery and Robben will definitely start. German media is a bit too confident before the match, I hope our players won't listen...

·
Registered
17,530 Posts
Butt - Lahm, van Buyten, Badstuber, Alaba - van Bommel, Schweinsteiger - Robben, Ribéry - Gomez, Müller

That is indeed the lineup.

·
Super
4,283 Posts
If they want to advance, they'd better do something in the remaining 45 min. Otherwise, kiss the CL goodbye this season.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If Ribery is going to play like this on the CL, then forget him, better to use Pranjic.

We have possesion of the ball and besides the mistake from Butt we were OK on defense. The problem rellys on our offensive power which is reaaaaaaally poor. Honestly, unless Ribery steps in, which he hasn't and we start finishing our controll of the ball tehn tonight will be a very HARD CL match. Fiorentina are too defensive.

Now we are playing on the other side of the pitch. Let's bombard those mother****es with long shots, IMO one of them will enter and then they can blame the wind for their dissqualification.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
1-0 down, but we've actually played ok. Kept the ball reasonably well but not created too many chances.

Ribery and Robben are really finding too many bodies on the flanks to get past. They should get more room in the second half.

And I'm getting tired of Butt making these errors every other game, instead of once in a while.

But he was right to be dismayed with Van Buyten. The big Belgian just seemed to go the sleep while Vargas jumped on the opportunity.

·
Registered
17,530 Posts
Our worst game in months. Especially defensively, I don't understand what happened to our defence in this game. :wallbang:

Anyway, glad their 2-1 was offside, so nobody can complain about the Klose goal anymore, all evened up.

·
Registered
17,530 Posts
And just for the record, if we had gone out today my comment would have been: "The only positive thing is that now most likely we get rid of Ribery."

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Van Buyten, the man mountain should have really done better on the 1st and 3rd goals. Dreaming for the first one and shrugged off the ball far too easily for the third.

Alaba played well, though his play was risky at times and we lost possession. Good call by Van Gaal though. He certainly played better than whatever Pranjic would have done.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Also, even though he scored a fantastic goal, Robben needs to put in an early cross sometimes.

I'll keep saying it. Our attacking play is far too predictable. Fiorentina had like 3 men on both Ribery and Robben at all times. Our midfielders need to get in better positions to take advantage of the space like Van Bommel did. Actually, Muller should be doing a lot of that. I agree with Filo, he's been disappointing of late, but he's still a better option than Olic.

And no tears shed here over Gomez being injured. Klose has far less physical presence, but still managed to win quite a few aerial duels. Gomez rarely wins any headers.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts