• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
94,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bayer Leverkusen or Real Madrid ???

Who is your favourite to take the Cup on May 15th ??

Come on in and dont forget to leave your ballot behind !! :smileani:

·
Errant Wolf
1,244 Posts
as madridista i voted for REAL... but i have to admit that Bayern have really scared me. They played a great matches against either liverpool and manchester.

·
94,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
realrulez said:
as madridista i voted for REAL... but i have to admit that Bayern have really scared me. They played a great matches against either liverpool and manchester.
They dont scare me, but I do have respect for them.....Heck they're in the Final Dance !!!
But the Cream will rise to the Top ...and we will have Merengue Cake on the 15th of May .

:cool:

M

·
0 Posts
LEVERKUSEN WILL WIN...Real Madrid will get cocky and confident and then BANG!...1-0
Whjen the underdogs win its always good for futbol...makes it more exciting and unpredictable.:D

·
Registered
10,390 Posts
Mulgo said:
LEVERKUSEN WILL WIN...Real Madrid will get cocky and confident and then BANG!...1-0
:D
there is no room this season to be cocky any more afterr the King s Cup Final, WE learned our lesson, now its time to get some silverwear.

my prediction REAL 3 Bayer 1

Bayer still has to play Germanys last liga game and the German Cup, so they ll be real tired Lucio and Ballack are both wounded so we ll see if they can make it to Scotland.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Alter Ego is right. no time ( or good reason ) to play with arrogance when we've won nothing....yet.
i go with the majority.
HALA MADRID!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
I like Bayern Munich and I would have liked to see them in the final instead of Real. But because I am a German Soccer Club fan, I will hope that Leverkusen will win. That way Germany could go very close up to spot 2 behind Spain and they would maybe get the top 4 teams to be able to go to the CL.

One question, I know that when a German team wins a European Cup, when does UEFA and how does UEFA change the number of spots in that League to be able to get qualified. I don't know if you understood my question, but whoever did, please try to answer it.

·
Registered
9,134 Posts
I am picking Real in this game 2-1.

Leverkusen is like the Indiana Hoosiers:D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Leverkusen have made a really big impact during this season´s C.L. But Real Madrid, arguably the most famous club in the world will win the final: 3-0 or 3-1. With it´s ninth victory in European Cup/C.L Real Madrid will even more stands in a cass for themselves as the most successfull soccer club of all time.

As a fan of Barcelona it´s hurt to write this, but even if you (like myself) support Barca I must always try to be objective. And their are any person with common sense who can say Real Madrid C.F isn´t the most successfull club of all time.

·
Premium Member
27,068 Posts
Tompa said:
As a fan of Barcelona it´s hurt to write this, but even if you (like myself) support Barca I must always try to be objective. And their are any person with common sense who can say Real Madrid C.F isn´t the most successfull club of all time.

HEHEHE, ;)

be careful about posting your idea's in the Barca forum!
They ran out the last Barca fan who uttered the same truth as you .

·
94,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Real return to scene of greatest-ever win eager for more

By Mitch Phillips

GLASGOW (Reuters) -

For Real Madrid it is a return to the scene of their greatest ever triumph, for Bayer Leverkusen a chance to make history of their own. Not for years has the European Cup final been such a David and Goliath affair.

Real are bidding to win the competition for the third time in five years, after final victories over Juventus in 1998 and Valencia two years later extended their record to eight European Cup wins.

Glasgow's Hampden Park was the scene of their greatest performance, when in 1960 they made it five European Cup wins out of five with a mesmerising 7-3 victory over Eintracht Frankfurt in the final.

The current Real team know they are a long way from winning the legendary status of the likes of Alfredo di Stefano and Ferenc Puskas, who between them scored all seven goals in that final.

With the likes of Zinedine Zidane, Luis Figo, Raul, Roberto Carlos and Fernando Hierro, they have a side capable of extraordinary football, though, and they are looking forward to showing what they can do on Wednesday.

"It's true that if we win the European Cup again it will give us a great record over the last few years," the Spanish international Ivan Helguera said in the build-up to the game.

"You could than talk again about Real Madrid's dominance in Europe. If we win on Wednesday people will talk about this team for a long time."

There have been disappointments this year, with the King's Cup and Spanish league both slipping away from them, but the players are bristling with confidence as they look to bring a successful end to their centenary season.

"The mood in the dressing room is very, very good," said Spanish forward Guti.

"It could be a help to us that Bayer Leverkusen are not used to playing this kind of final. We know we have to keep our concentration, though, as we know they have good, quick players who know what they're doing."

Guti is vying for a place in the starting line-up with Fernando Morientes, the man who scored Real's opening goal in the 3-0 win over Valencia in Paris in the 2000 final.

Coach Vicente del Bosque has just one injury worry, with Claude Makelele missing training over the weekend with a leg muscle strain. Flavio Conceicao could be asked to step in for a rare start if the French midfielder doesn't make it.

ALWAYS THE BRIDESMAID ?

Bayer Leverkusen, who look destined always to come second after gifting the Bundesliga title to Borussia Dortmund and then losing to 4-2 to Schalke 04 in the German cup final on Saturday, will be able to call on their striker Thomas Brdaric again after he was cleared following a negative doping test.

Wednesday's match looks like being the last time the assembled giants of German international midfielder Michael Ballack and the talented Brazilian Lucio will play for Leverkusen.

Ballack is off to Bayern Munich next season, while Lucio have been variously linked with moves to Italian and Spanish clubs.

One of Bayer's only two successes came in 1988 when -- a good omen for the Germans -- they beat Spanish club Espanyol in the UEFA Cup final.

But the Spanish side they are meeting on Wednesday is a very different opponent and although Bayer have taken the scalps of Barcelona, Manchester United, Liverpool and Arsenal along the route to this year's final, Real start as overwhelming favourites.

Bayer will miss the suspended Brazilian midfielder Ze Roberto as well as club skipper Jens Nowotny whose knee injury will keep him out of this game and the World Cup. And the question remains: if they could not beat Schalke in the German Cup final -- how do they expect to beat Real Madrid and become the first team never to be champions of their own country to become champions of Europe ?

Probable teams:

Bayer Leverkusen: 1-Hans-Joerg Butt; 35-Diego Placente, 26-Zoltan Sebescen, 19-Lucio, 6-Boris Zivkovic; 25-Bernd Schneider, 28-Carsten Ramelow, 13-Michael Ballack, 10-Yildiray Basturk; 12-Dimitar Berbatov, 23-Thomas Brdaric

Real Madrid: 13-Cesar; 2-Michel Salgado, 4-Fernando Hierro, 6-Ivan Helguera, 3-Roberto Carlos; 21-Santiago Solari, 24-Claude Makelele; 5-Zinedine Zidane, 10-Luis Figo, 7-Raul; 9-Fernando Morientes.

Referee: Urs Meier

:happy::cool::cap::cool::happy:

·
94,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Both Teams Road to the Finals ............

First Group Stage Real Madrid

Real Madrid 2 - Figo 50, Guti, 63
Roma 1 Totti 73, pen.
Attendance: 82900

Real Madrid 4 - Munitis 39, Figo 64, (pen.), Roberto Carlos 81, Savio 87
Lokomotiv Moscow 0
Attendance: 40000

Real Madrid 4 Celades 49, Raul 51, 68, Solari 79
Anderlecht 1 Dindane 33
Attendance: 65000

Anderlecht 0
Real Madrid 2 - Raul 19, McManaman 35
Attendance: 21900

Roma 1 - Totti 35
Real Madrid 1 - Figo 75, pen.
Attendance: 70.000

Lokomotiv Moscow 2 - Buznikin 30, Cherevtchenko 50
Real Madrid 0
Attendance: 18000

Second Group Stage

Sparta Praha2 - Michalik 30, Sionko 72
Real Madrid 3 - Zidane 20, Morientes 36, Morientes 74
Attendance: 19200

Real Madrid 3 - Helguera 41, Raul 66, 72
Panathinaikos 0
Attendance: 60000

Real Madrid 1 - Solari 83
Porto 0
Attendance: 70000

Porto 1 - Capucho 28
Real Madrid 2 - Solari 6, Helguera 20
Attendance: 37000

Real Madrid 3 - Solari 60, Guti 64, Savio 71
Sparta Praha 0
Attendance: 40000

Panathinaikos 2 - Liberopoulus 9, Goumas 64
Real Madrid 2 - Morientes 11, Portillo 80
Attendance: 17000

Quarter Finals

Bayern Munchen 2 - Effenberg 81, Pizarro 87
Real Madrid 1 - Geremi 12

Real Madrid 2 - Helguera 69, Guti 85
Bayern Munchen 0
Attendance: 75300

Semi Finals

Barcelona 0
Real Madrid 2 - Zidane 54, McManaman 90
Attendance: 98000

Real Madrid 1- Raul 43
Barcelona 1 - Helguera 48 og
Attendance: 75000

First Group Stage Bayer Leverkusen

Lyon 0
Bayer Leverkusen 1 - Kirsten 75
Attendance: 37000

Bayer Leverkusen 2 - Basturk 52, Neuville 69
Barcelona1 - Enrique 22
Attendance: 22500

Bayer Leverkusen 2 - Lucio 36, Ballack 59
Fenerbahce 1 - Revivo 6

Barcelona 2 - Kluivert 12, Enrique 38
Bayer Leverkusen 1 - Ramelow 32

Fenerbahce 1 - Derelioglu 40
Bayer Leverkusen 2 - Schneider 21, Kirsten 34
Attendance: 16000

Bayer Leverkusen 2 - Sebescen 45, Berbatov 52
Lyon 4 - Carriere 32, Carriere 38, Nee 64, Govou 81
Attendance: 20000

Second Group Stage

Juventus 4 - Trezeguet 8, 60, Del Piero 37, Tudor 44
Bayer Leverkusen 0
Attendance: 6000

Bayer Leverkusen 3 - Ze Roberto 64, Neuville 67, Ballack 79
Deportivo La Coruna 0

Bayer Leverkusen 1 - Kirsten 90
Arsenal 1 - Pires 56

Arsenal 4 - Pires 5, Henry 7, Vieira 48, Bergkamp 83
Bayer Leverkusen 1 - Sebescen 86
Attendance: 35000

Bayer Leverkusen 3 - Butt 24(pen), Brdaric 71, Babic 90
Juventus 1 - Tudor 61

Deportivo La Coruna 1 - Tristan 75
Bayer Leverkusen 3 - Ballack 34, Schneider 54, Neuville 86
Attendance: 25000

Quarter Finals

Liverpool 1 - Hyypia 44
Bayer Leverkusen 0
Attendance: 42500

Bayer Leverkusen 4 - Ballack 15, 64, Berbatov 68, Lucio 84
Liverpool 2 - Xavier 42, Litmanen 79

Semi Finals

Manchester United 2 - Solskjaer 29, Van Nistelrooy 66, pen.
Bayer Leverkusen 2 - Ballack 62, Neuville 75
Attendance: 66500

Bayer Leverkusen 1 - Neuville 45
Manchester United 1 - Keane 28

FINAL

Playing on 15 May
Bayer Leverkusen v Real Madrid

:cool:

·
94,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Underdog Leverkusen looking to shake perennial runner-up status

[Reuters] May 15th, 2002

GLASGOW --

For Real Madrid it is a return to the scene of its greatest ever triumph, for Bayer Leverkusen a chance to make history of its own. Not for years has the European Cup final been such a David and Goliath affair.

Real is bidding to win the competition for the third time in five years, after final victories over Juventus in 1998 and Valencia two years later extended its record to eight European Cup wins.

Glasgow's Hampden Park was the scene of the club's greatest performance, when in 1960 the team made it five European Cup wins out of five with a mesmerizing 7-3 victory over Eintracht Frankfurt in the final.

The current Real team knows it is a long way from winning the legendary status of the likes of Alfredo di Stefano and Ferenc Puskas, who between them scored all seven goals in that final.

With the likes of Zinedine Zidane, Luis Figo, Raul, Roberto Carlos and Fernando Hierro, the club has a side capable of extraordinary football, though, and it is looking forward to showing what it can do on Wednesday.

"It's true that if we win the European Cup again it will give us a great record over the last few years," the Spanish international Ivan Helguera said in the build-up to the game.

"You could then talk again about Real Madrid's dominance in Europe. If we win on Wednesday people will talk about this team for a long time."

There have been disappointments this year, with the King's Cup and Spanish league both slipping away from the club, but the players are bristling with confidence as they look to bring a successful end to their centenary season.

"The mood in the dressing room is very, very good," said Spanish forward Guti.

"It could be a help to us that Bayer Leverkusen are not used to playing this kind of final. We know we have to keep our concentration, though, as we know they have good, quick players who know what they're doing."

Guti is vying for a place in the starting lineup with Fernando Morientes, the man who scored Real's opening goal in the 3-0 win over Valencia in Paris in the 2000 final.

Coach Vicente del Bosque has just one injury worry, with Claude Makelele missing training over the weekend with a leg muscle strain. Flavio Conceicao could be asked to step in for a rare start if the French midfielder doesn't make it.

Bayer Leverkusen, who look destined always to come second after gifting the Bundesliga title to Borussia Dortmund and then losing to 4-2 to Schalke 04 in the German cup final on Saturday, will be able to call on its striker Thomas Brdaric again after he was cleared following a negative doping test.

Wednesday's match looks like being the last time the assembled giants of German international midfielder Michael Ballack and the talented Brazilian Lucio will play for Leverkusen.

Ballack is off to Bayern Munich next season, while Lucio has been variously linked with moves to Italian and Spanish clubs.

One of Bayer's only two successes came in 1988 when -- a good omen for the Germans -- the club beat Spanish club Espanyol in the UEFA Cup final.

But the Spanish side it is meeting on Wednesday is a very different opponent and although Bayer has taken the scalps of Barcelona, Manchester United, Liverpool and Arsenal along the route to this year's final, Real starts as overwhelming favorites.

Bayer will miss the suspended Brazilian mifielder Ze Roberto as well as club skipper Jens Nowotny whose knee injury will keep him out of this game and the World Cup. And the question remains: if it could not beat Schalke in the German Cup final -- how does it expect to beat Real Madrid and become the first team never to be champions of its own country to become champions of Europe?

Probable teams:

Bayer Leverkusen: 1-Hans-Joerg Butt; 35-Diego Placente, 26-Zoltan Sebescen, 19-Lucio, 6-Boris Zivkovic; 25-Bernd Schneider, 28-Carsten Ramelow, 13-Michael Ballack, 10-Yildiray Basturk; 12-Dimitar Berbatov, 23-Thomas Brdaric

Real Madrid: 13-Cesar; 2-Michel Salgado, 4-Fernando Hierro, 6-Ivan Helguera, 3-Roberto Carlos; 21-Santiago Solari, 24-Claude Makelele; 5-Zinedine Zidane, 10-Luis Figo, 7-Raul; 9-Fernando Morientes.

Referee: Urs Meier (Switzerland)

:cool::cap::cool:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts