Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Winter is Coming.
8,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, with many top teams still remaining, the draw coming up, and traditional top guns already out, who do you think can go all the way?
What matchups would you like to see?

Remaining teams

Liverpool:star:
Chelsea

Juventus
AC Milan

Bayern Munich

Lyon

PSV

Inter Milan/Porto

-----

Inter and Porto play on the 15th, No idea about the delay, anyone else know?

Surprisingly, none of the Spanish teams made it to the next round, Depor was knocked out in our group, Real succumbed to Juve in the extratime thriller, and Barca were leading until John Terry's exquisite header at Stamford Bridge. Quite surprising really.

In my opinion, Chelsea have a good chance of making it to the semi-finals, if not the Finals themselves.

AC also have a good chance for the final Four, and surprise team Lyon I have a feeling might go far this year. Juve without Nedved dispatched Real and may make it to the semi final but I don't feel they neccessarily have the unity to make it to the finals this year. Btw, Trezuguets goal was class. Your thoughts?

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
I think Inter will be 8th team, don't see them loseing to a weak Porto. The surprise have surely been Lyon this year, but I think this is as far as they will get, depending their draw. while PSV is the underdog just like Porto last year, but don't think they can pass this round.

Liverpool, well it depends whcih team shows up to play, in our best form we can beat any of the teams left in the CL, but we can also lose to the worst. I think it will depend also alot in which team we draw. I think the favorite to make it are Chelsea and AC Milan with Juventus close behind. while Bayern Munich I think are the same level as Liverpool.

what I think the drwas will be...
Liverpool - Inter/Porto
Chelsea - Juventus
AC Milan - PSV
Bayern Munich - Lyon

what I want...
Liverpool - PSV
Lyon - Juventus
Bayern Munich - Inter/Porto
Chelsea - AC Milan

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
The reason for the postponement of the Inter game was due to the fact that the San Siro pitch couldn't take more than a game every 3 days. Since 4 days after the original would be a Serie A match, thus they had to postpone it a week.

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
As I was saying in the OMT.. I'd be happy with anyone out of the hat other than Milan and Juve..

No disrespect to the others (actually, it's the opposite).. all the remaining clubs are here cuz of hard work and good performances/results.. So I don't believe in an 'easy draw' for us.. But I'd want to avoid the 2 Italian Giants cuz:

a. I'd want to avoid Milan as much as possible.. they should have Sheva back.. and have a rock solid defence.. they'd play the counter at Anfield.. and try to snatch a goal.. then unleash hell at the San Siro

b. For Juve it's much of the same.. but subbing Sheva for Nedved.. and San Siro for Delle Alpi.. except Juve (as usual) will use every trick in the book.. and most probably will turn the Anfield game into a wrestling match (ala their showing in Madrid)..

To be honest, all I want is a tie that would produce a cracking game.. I'd want PSV cuz u could say they're the most comparable to us.. Inter would be a very interesting game.. and Chelsea would be the mouth watering prospect (although I'd hate to see the 2 remaining English clubs squaring off in the QFs)..

Oh and I don't want Lyon!! We simply SUCK in France!!! Our history on our visits there are simply piss poor!!

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
true about our recor in France, I hope Lyon gets elminated as soon as possible, hope they get Bayern Munich.

·
Winter is Coming.
8,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, I hope they get Bayern...

About your previous statement, at our best, I dont' think we can beat AC, but we can give them a hell of a time.

·
International
1,878 Posts
they should have Sheva back.. and have a rock solid defence.. they'd play the counter at Anfield.. and try to snatch a goal.. then unleash hell at the San Siro
You know, this statement is the exact description newspaper hags used during our heydays in the 70s and 80s...

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
Owenization-NRG said:
Yes, I hope they get Bayern...

About your previous statement, at our best, I dont' think we can beat AC, but we can give them a hell of a time.
mmmm yes we reli cant beat them in a paper they much more stronger team then us.. :D but in d pitch anything can happen.....simple touch on ball can get into net.... :eek:

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
Liverbird said:
You know, this statement is the exact description newspaper hags used during our heydays in the 70s and 80s...
That's why Milan are considered one of the best (if not the best) team in Europe.. Had it not been for that hiccup in La Coruna last year.. it should have been 2 CLs in a row (blowing a 4-1 home lead was shocking!!)..

Sad to say it, but Chelsea are following their footsteps.. they have an excellent defensive unit.. great CBs and a superb holding midfielder (Makelele).. On the other hand, that has been Real Madrid's issue.. they have the big names up front.. but at the back.. they look more like school boys.. Salgado and RC are too attack oriented (which would justify their need for midfielders who can cover up like Macca used to do for them).. while Helguera is simply NOT a CB.. Samuel needs to learn that defending in other parts of the World is different than Serie A where u can kick a player in the balls or tug his shirt till it's stretched a size or two during corners! That chaos at the back has caused the continuous instability in their form and sometimes results (especially when u take into consideration the efforts Cassillas has been producing to stop goals)..

That's why I believe it's defence and goal keeping that should be our focus point in the summer..

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Another reason for not wanting Juve - Heysel ....

·
Registered
154 Posts
I would like to see Inter-Liverpool playing,It would be interesting match.

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
I wouldn't mind Inter at all.. they played really well yesterday.. and were denied bundles by a linesman who really doesn't know what the definition of offside is!! (But really bold tactics by Porto to have their defenders on the halfway line!)..

Would be a much more entertaining game than Milan and Juve..

I want PSV.. then Inter.. then Chelsea!!
Least on my list are Milan.. Juve and Lyon!

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I would feel optimistic if we drew Lyon, PSV or Bayern and not too unhappy if we drew Chelski (not like they thrashed us home or away) We certainly ought to be able to compete with any of those teams, Bayern couldn't kill Arsenal off in the last round, Lyon beat Bremen comfortably but didn't beat Man Utd in the group stages and PSV couldn't beat Arsenal in the group stages either (1-0 and 1-1)

I wouldn't be happy if we got AC/Inter Milan or Juve so basically I don't want an Italian club but the odds are stacked in favour of us drawing an Italian side so I'd settle for Inter of the three if I had to pick one

·
Registered
10,390 Posts
Owzat said:
I don't want an Italian club but the odds are stacked in favour of us drawing an Italian side so I'd settle for Inter of the three if I had to pick one
Not true the odds of drawing an italian side is about 40%
or 3 out of 7
;)

Hope Pool gets PSV or Bayer

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
It is Juventus for us with the Anfield leg first. Then if we get back the Old Lady, we will play Chelski or Bayern.

Mouthwatering.

paw;)

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
As my msn nickname suggests ....

" We face the OLD LADY OF TURIN and maybe shut her up for good lolzzzzz "

or

" They might cause an upset and beat us . "

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Got the harder half of the draw with Chelski or Bayern in the SF and quite probably Milan in the final (if we get there)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts