Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 273 Posts

·
Registered
38,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... the league is truly beyond reach now so we need to focus on the Cups, particularly the CL. Roma are in good form (10-3-2 in their last 15 matches), and in many ways are having a very similar season to Arsenal (poor start, manager questioned, recover in November and go on a consistent run, get key players back from injury, etc). These two teams are of course well-respected for their attacking brand of football and provide what is probably the most delicately-balanced tie of the last 16.

·
Registered
38,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A clean sheet here and it's one foot in the QFs. I think we will see a very good Arsenal performance because we know the CL is the main target this season. I expect to see everyone raise their game a notch or two and usually we're strong at home in the CL. 22 unbeaten now I believe (stretching back to Highbury). So it looks good. The injuries don't, but there is still enough offensive quality with Nasri, RvP and Vela to make the difference.

I think we match up very well against Roma because they try to play football and we're at our best in an open type of game. Of course, they're usually more cautious in European matches against top teams, so I don't expect them to go for the jugular, but the onus is on us to pin them in their own half. I am not worried about them on the counter, that's why we have pace in abundance at the back. I think it'll be 2-0, perhaps 2-1.

·
Lazing in a hammock
2,450 Posts
7-1 is not available so 7-0 I guess.

·
Ze Don
1,134 Posts
I really want to understand what the source of confidence is for you guys. Many of you are expecting us to beat Roma. I'm not saying its impossible, but its quite the longshot to be frank.

I do agree with Muhammad on the notion that if we do not concede, we'll have one foot in the quarters.

btw, I just read that Eduardo isn't going to be fit for the second leg. That is according to the boss.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Longshot?
Man, every time I read about this leg, i found people saying it's a 50-50 between Roma-Arsenal and yet you say, us, Arsenal fans (shall i stress it?) are over confidence cos we think we will beat them!

Your pessimistic speech is kind of weird.

·
Ze Don
1,134 Posts
I wouldn't have been this pessmistic if it weren't for our injuries though. When we got them in the draw my first impression was that we were probably going to be too good for them. As we normally do extremely well against teams that play football. But with Cesc, Theo, Eduardo, Adebayor and Diaby all out for the game, i struggle to think how you guys can still be so confident.

·
Registered
9,441 Posts
I wouldn't have been this pessmistic if it weren't for our injuries though. When we got them in the draw my first impression was that we were probably going to be too good for them. As we normally do extremely well against teams that play football. But with Cesc, Theo, Eduardo, Adebayor and Diaby all out for the game, i struggle to think how you guys can still be so confident.
SPOT ON!!!!!!!!!!!

Just look at what we are now than contrast that to what we could have been. At the moment we are likely to start a midfield of Eboue---Denilson---Song---Nasri, RVP---Nico upfront and Fabianski, Djourou, Vela, Ramsey, Gibbs, Bischoff and Wilshere on the bench.

What could have been is a midfield of Theo---Cesc---Diaby---Nasri, upfront RVP---Ade and bench that would have featured Fabianski, Djourou, Eduardo, Nico, Vela, Denilson and Song. Roma are no mugs and they will want to make up for their pathetic CL displays over the last few season. Anything is possible but Roma are the clear favourites to advance to the qt-finals.

·
Lazing in a hammock
2,450 Posts
Is it bad to think positively? :D Why the fvck shouldn't we be confident. It's 50/50 with our current squad situation. If we had had the injured players available we would have been certain favorites to advance.

·
Ze Don
1,134 Posts
SPOT ON!!!!!!!!!!!

Just look at what we are now than contrast that to what we could have been. At the moment we are likely to start a midfield of Eboue---Denilson---Song---Nasri, RVP---Nico upfront and Fabianski, Djourou, Vela, Ramsey, Gibbs, Bischoff and Wilshere on the bench.

What could have been is a midfield of Theo---Cesc---Diaby---Nasri, upfront RVP---Ade and bench that would have featured Fabianski, Djourou, Eduardo, Nico, Vela, Denilson and Song. Roma are no mugs and they will want to make up for their pathetic CL displays over the last few season. Anything is possible but Roma are the clear favourites to advance to the qt-finals.
Completely agreed.

Is it bad to think positively? :D Why the fvck shouldn't we be confident. It's 50/50 with our current squad situation. If we had had the injured players available we would have been certain favorites to advance.
You are massively underrating Roma here.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
what do you mean? they are faking shite.. got pumped by Atalanta on the weekend 3-0, what a joke we should progress no problems.

·
Registered
9,441 Posts
what do you mean? they are faking shite.. got pumped by Atalanta on the weekend 3-0, what a joke we should progress no problems.
Not that simple mate.

Three years ago when we reached the CL final our PL form prior to and following the first leg against Real Madrid was simply shambolic.

Lost @ Everton
Eliminated at Highbury by Wigan in semi's of Beer cup
Eliminated from FA Cup @ Bolton Wanderers
Lost at Highbury to West Ham
Victory @ Birmingham
Draw at Highbury against Bolton Wanderers
Lost @ A Liverpool
Victory @ Real Madrid
Lost @ Blackburn Rovers

·
Registered
42,777 Posts
lol how pessimistic I was prior to the first leg against Real... but dreamland.

I was pessimistic prior to the second leg as well because so many of us were optimistic. :D

Anyway, not the place, my apologies.

·
Lazing in a hammock
2,450 Posts

Roma's defence has been always inconsistent if not shit and they won't play 10 behind the ball, they don't know how to do it. They are mentally fragile, and are easy to counter-attack. You are slightly overrating them;)

·
Registered
42,777 Posts
I think we will eat them alive!

3-0 The Arse!
I disagree. lol

Qualifying for the Champions League by winning it, of course that's far away, so far away, stretching upwards with the clouds. I wonder if any of the players have entertained this thought. I hope not, it would create more pressing pains inside of their heads.

Just got to hope the team is still alive when key members return.

By the way - SBS will broadcast this match at 6:30am.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Good luck guys. It's a shame Cesc won't be there. I wanted to see that match up against Totti. Is Ade going to be fit for this one?

1 - 20 of 273 Posts