Xtratime Community banner

Who will come out the better over the 2 legs

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
59,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Great tie coming up next Tuesday in Eindhoven. So many actually :eek: as Bayern - the :ass: is on the same night as well!

The new Brazilian will make his debut tomorrow so we'll see what he's made out of but other than that I guess it'll probably be the same recipy from Hiddinks men. Solid at the back & midfield and look to go forward when the opportunity arises.

Monaco had a bit of a slow start to the season I think. Not weird though considering they lost Giuly and also Rothen (whos just disappeared into thin air at PSG :confused: is he injured?! I never see him!). Chevanton has spent more hours on the treatment table then on the pitch while Saviola too hasn't really shined the whole time, but they off course still have Adamayor and top scorer Mohammed Kallon. Maicon, their Brazilian RB is quite a dangerous player going forward too. Scored a great goal a few weeks ago, but what can we expect from them?

I saw them at Anfield against Liverpool and they looked very average that night but the way they tore up Deportivo a few weeks later was nothing short of impressive! hard one to decide but if I had to chose I think Hiddinks smartness may play off in the end. At least I hope so. Your thoughts gents :cool:

·
Banned
1,806 Posts
I haven't been following Monaco too closely, but I think PSV have learned from their mistakes. They are now simply better, smarter, and more experienced than they were in last seasons' CL, when they also played Monaco.
I'd be surprised to see PSV losing in Eindhoven, though not ruling it out. I expect a hard-fought but deserved win for the home side.

·
Registered
23,835 Posts
Wally, I think Rothen is injured. Numerodix has opened a thread about him too btw in the French forum.

Don't agree with you on the greatness of the tie though. This one is more part of the lesser four of the ties. Although luckily the best clashes are on day later, so hopefully Canvas en Ned 2 don't broadcoast Barca - Chelsea both so that there's the possibility to switch too.

This one looks like a 50/50 battle. Monaco not that impressive yet this season and PSV becoming more steady if you compare it to last year. I would predict a 0-0 draw for the homegame.

·
Registered
59,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
seen now, thanks. Well they're both great footballing nights, but for me personally seeing Makaay vs Cygan is better than any other tie.:drool: Hopefully one of the channels will show Man U vs Milan on Wednesday too like I guess you're hoping!

btw do you get RTL+? I used to get that here but not anymore, but they showed CL football too so if you get them, you'd probably get to see Bremen - Lyon on Wednesday at least.

·
Registered
23,835 Posts
Nah, in far past I had the German RTL on the cable here too, which was handy too for the CL-game, cause on good nights you could switch between three channels, but now we only have WDR and ARD here, shamefully that first took the place of ZDF. So sometimes I miss the sports, since ARD and ZDF switch with it too. Sportschau is still available though, so I can see Roy's hattrick if I want tonight.

·
Registered
40,685 Posts
Tough matchup, still I think Monaco's impressive attack will take care of things. First match a tie, second Monaco wins.

·
Registered
59,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The expected teams tonight:

PSV: Gomes, Ooijer, Alex, Bouma, Lee, Van Bommel, Vogel, Cocu, Park, Vennegoor of Hesselink, Farfan.

AS Monaco: Roma, Maicon, Rodriguez, Givet, Evra, Zikos, Bernardi, Kallon, Plasil (Farnerud), Saviola, Adebayor.

PSV pretty much as expected with Farfan on the left instead of Beasley and as always the 3 usual candidates in their centre of midfield.

Monaco with 3 strikers in Kallon, Saviola and Adebayor? :googly: surely not. One of them on the wings or something I guess.

·
Registered
23,835 Posts
So will Robert make his debut tonight? With him taking so long I already have my doubts of him being really something. Since certainly the scoreline of last saturday gave space for an easy debut. He might be injured though.

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
I think Monaco will come out on top after two legs. As usual, we experience a lot of Dutch cockyness, since I hear a lot of sounds that PSV should take care of things, that they are happy with playing Monaco and that Monaco is so much weaker than last year. Monaco is not weak at all. Besides a great attack they can also boast a great defence and midfield. The attack will be at hand to do the necessary damage.

I'll be rooting for Monaco of course, but that goes without saying. Besides, I might tune in to watch Real - Juve anyway. :dontcare:

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Congrats to PSV!!! :happy:

I didn't watch the game, but from the reviews, looks like they played well. Keep up the good work, Hiddink :thumbsup: By the way, how did Korean Duo played??

P.S I cannot understand why this games wasn't broadcasted live in Korea :googly:

·
Banned
1,806 Posts
Good game, not as boring as I expected. PSV shouldv'e scored more than once, but 2-0 up would still not have been all safe from here on in.
Anything is still possible. In Monaco it will be much tougher. But I think PSV can come away with a draw. I have positive feelings about progressing actually.

·
Registered
23,835 Posts
Since the game in Madrid wasn't that spectacular I watched a bit of this too, but the entertainment value wasn't that high here either. Especially with the lack of firepower from Monaco if you compare it with last season. Although perhaps better said as the lack of ammo for the strikers, since it's more the providers that are missing in comparison with last season. Still a good result of course.

Elleboog of Hesselink came away once again with his antics. Just shows you that with a stupid face you can come away with everything. Seeing this always reminds me of the Hans Teeuwen sketch about the Josti-band; "Ik ben een mongool, alles wat ik doe is toch wel leuk" ;)

·
Registered
59,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I agree, it was very poor refereeing as Vennegoor didn't deserve to get penalized as he was simply going for the ball. What are tall strikers supposed to do nowadays? tie their hands to their sides :rolleyes:

Good result for PSV and as predicted a solid performance. If they do the same and don't get nervous for no reason in Monaco I can see them coming out from there with a result. Especially if the central midfield trio of Cocu, Vogel and Van Bommel does it's work by forming a buffer in front the defence. Man of the match yesterday imo was Alex, not only for his goal but also his allround defensive display. Very imposing player.

Seol, Lee had an alright night but he did make one very nonchalant pass, passing back to nobody and had Alex not sprinted back, Ademayor would have been clean through on Gomes. Park was his usual self. Ran a lot. Had a good opponent in Evra against him so he didn't get past him but no one else did either as it was quite a tight game. In fact the 2 biggest chances (if you can call them that) were for Monaco for Saviola and for Bernardi.

·
Registered
23,835 Posts
Well every player gets penalised for their elbows nowadays, if it's really intentional or not, except the retard farmer son.

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
chivu said:
Since the game in Madrid wasn't that spectacular I watched a bit of this too, but the entertainment value wasn't that high here either. Especially with the lack of firepower from Monaco if you compare it with last season. Although perhaps better said as the lack of ammo for the strikers, since it's more the providers that are missing in comparison with last season. Still a good result of course.
Indeed. I think it is more the creativity of Giuly and Rothen that is lacking than the finishing by Morientes and Prso. Prso is overrated anyway and Morientes is good, but they have the frontline covered very well still. Hardly any team in Europe can boast a frontline as strong as Monaco. Adebayor didn't play at his best, but he still impressed me and I think when he is on form he'll become very dangerous. The way he outplayed (was it Ooijer) that defender on the backline with pure pace was impressive! Also, Nonda and Saviola need no introduction and Kallon and Chevanton are class as well.

The game in Madrid was not very spectacular no. But my, Zidane continues to be a pleasure for the eyes. I can't believe some people do not rate Zidane. Truly amazing player. :cool:

·
Banned
1,806 Posts
PSV has what it takes to shut out Monaco's attack in the return. I think Nonda and especially Saviola have hardly impressed so far this season. I think with Morientes I'd be a whole lot more scared. He's one of the most under-rated strikers in the world.

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
Bazman said:
PSV has what it takes to shut out Monaco's attack in the return. I think Nonda and especially Saviola have hardly impressed so far this season. I think with Morientes I'd be a whole lot more scared. He's one of the most under-rated strikers in the world.
True on Morientes definitely. I don't rate Saviola that highly either. Basically I think he is one of the most overrated strikers running around in Europe at the moment. He is not a poor player, don't get me wrong, but he has hardly impressed in Europe. Bold statement alert: I think Nonda is a far better striker than Saviola![/i] Nonda is lethal when on form, but as you say he has not impressed that much since his return after his injury. If I were Monaco I'd stick with Adebayor, Kallon and Saviola and use Nonda as a joker.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts