Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 166 Posts

·
Legend
17,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
On wednesday night, the defending European Champions resume their European campaign in the 2nd leg in the knock-out stage of the Champions League against Sparta Prague. In the first leg, despite completely dominating the game and creating tons of chances that Milan didn't finalise, the game ended 0-0.

This wednesday, it's a must win game for Milan and it is everything but an easy game. It's the kind of games that could be long and frustrating if Milan don't play up to their real level. However, I'm certainly confident because the players seem to get transcended during the big CL games and this is definitely one such game. It may not have the same appeal, prestige and even to some extent, sexiness of a Milan-Real, Milan-Bayern or Milan-Man Utd, but it's as important.

For the game, Carletto has a full roster to chose from. After the convincing and relatively easy victory over Sampdoria on Sunday in Serie A, where the coach was able to rest some key players and give others who for various reasons some more playing games under their belt and legs before the final and decisive part of the season. Having seen Pippo all over in attack with his efforts being rewarded with a super goal is a moral boosting prospect for Milan and the opposite for the opposition. Kaka seems to be on a roll and we will certainly need his percussion, his accelerations, his runs and class coming from deep in midfield to unbalance and tear apart the Czech solid double defensive curtain/layer in midfield and defence.

One thing that starts to, maybe not worry, but at least irk me, is to see that Sheva hasn't scored for...about a month or so. (is it a month right?). I understand he's no machine or super-human, he's a human after all and he can and certain is entitled to take some "time off and break" in between during the season, but it's about time to get back to the red hot, unstoppable and irresistible form that saw him at his best, that is a true :star:Vento di Passioni:star: for us Milanisti and the highest form of nightmare for the opposition. FORZA LO TZAR!!!FINITE LE VACANZE!!!ADESSO ABBIAMO BISOGNO DEL VERO TZAR!!!!:thumbsup:

Tactically speaking, I'd like Ancelotti to stick with his ideals rather than succomb to the unnecessary pressure brought upon him and the dressing room after the extravagant comments of our flamboyant president. So Carletto, be strong and stick to your own tactical ideals. They've brought us great success so far!!!:star: FORZA CARLETTO!!!!:thumbsup:

All in all, I/We Milanisti, expect only and only a win and a qualification to the 1/4 finals of the Champions League. Anything less than a qualification will be a a monumental and unforgivable fiasco...(God forbade!!!!).

My line up for this tie:

--------------------------Dida

Cafu------------Sandro-------San Paolo--------Pancaro

------------------------Pirlo

--------Ringho---------------------Seedorf

-----------------------Kaka

-----------Pippo------------------Sheva

Or we can also play with Kaka and Rui behind Sheva, but for this game, it would be IMO more appropriate with 2 forwards in front a packed defensive team from Sparta.

FORZA RAGAZZI!!!!:heart::proud: :star:
VINCI PER NOI MAGICO MILAN!!!!:star:

Cheers.;)

·
Super Moderator
13,710 Posts
I agree that Pippo should start.
Too bad for Tomasson, he might deserve a chance but those two are the starting strikers when in-form. Period.

Yesterday I would also have said play Serginho instead of Pancaro, but after Milan - Sampdoria...

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
Kaka` and Inzaghi should start instead of Rui Costa and Tomasson. We need goals, so therefore Kaka` is a must. Plus, Inzaghi is a proven European goal scoring champion and Tomasson has only really scored for us domestically this season.

Anyone else think Pancaro is definately our first choice left back?

·
Registered
13,202 Posts
i think he is...though i would say if there is no goals at the half

make a lil switch

drop in serghino for pancaro....move him and cafu as wingbacks...let them pillage the flanks and create some room for kaka and pirlo to work magic down the middle.

all in all i expect sheva to show up here and end this draught....

·
Registered
28,190 Posts
San Siro said:
[BThis wednesday, it's a must win game for Milan and it is everything but an easy game. It's the kind of games that could be long and frustrating if Milan don't play up to their real level. However, I'm certainly confident because the players seem to get transcended during the big CL games and this is definitely one such game. It may not have the same appeal, prestige and even to some extent, sexiness of a Milan-Real, Milan-Bayern or Milan-Man Utd, but it's as important.

[/B]
:thumbsup:

A 1-0 would be more than welcomed

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
I'd be more confident against Real than against Sparta.

It will be fiasco if Milan fail to progress, also bad news for Roma and Juve but if we had to choose, CL is always better.

That sad, Milan is the most serene and powerful side in the world (apart from Tokyo :() and should get through.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
I think 2-0 for Milan, can Milan score more than 1 goal in a CL game :eek: they may need to...

Shevchenko 32'
Inzaghi 66'

·
Banned
2,221 Posts
Sparta have nothing to lose, so it's wrong to assume 10 players will camp just above their goal keeper. Fortunately, we have some experience from Serie A small teams in dealing with such tactics. They could surprise us by throwing more men forward than expected. This might work for them, but they have to bear in mind how lethal this Milan can be in so called open, end-to-end games. It doesn't really matter who plays, I'm sure everyone will be up for this match and if any of the starters fail to perform Ancelotti will have to respond to boos and whistles from the extremist fans.

I expect our strikers will face smothering marking so our wingbacks and midfielder might need to step up their game a little. One headache for the Sparta coach is the fact that Kaka and Seedorf have potent long range shots so they can't just focus on man-marking our strikers. In order to best prepare for this match, all we need to do is watch the Udinese defeat over and over. If the players understand what went wrong there, I'm sure smaller, counter-attacking sides won't be as difficult as they used to be. We played reasonably well in Prague, and Sparta haven't been doing that well in their own league. Once the game starts, the sooner we figure out what kind of gameplan they have Ancelotti should make the right adjustments in order to guarantee our progress.

I'm confident of a convincing win, this team has grown a little compared to last year's, and Carlo deserves full marks so far this season for his approach to big games.

·
Registered
7,323 Posts
Sparta will play 4-4-2 with 2 defensive midfielders but 2 real forwards. The goast called Gluscevic won't play. Sparta has been in crisis (in the league) all the season but when it comes to Champions league everything is different and better. They had finally a great match this Sunday at home with Sigma. Although they drew 0-0 it was a perfect performance. I guess Milan won't have an easy match, 1-0 is very probable. But I posted a different prediction...

·
Registered
11,208 Posts
The Juve game thread has more replies than this one? :eek: This is equally important and we cannot take the win for granted by any means!

For this game I too support the line-up that has been suggested already.

------------------------Dida----------------------------
-
---Cafu--------Nesta----Maldini--------Pancaro--
-
--------Gattuso------Pirlo-------Seedorf----------
-
-----------------------Kaka----------------------------
------------Inzaghi--------Shevchenko-------------

It is more of a 4-3-3 rather than a typical 4-3-1-2 but effective for us our team works hard in midfield. Only Inzaghi will be up there but even his work rate is very good and he helps out when he can!

A two goal cushion should be good to work for but at the same time a slim 1-0 win can cause tense times! The last return in a 0-0 was pretty intense! :fero: :eek: :cool:

I would rather prefer a smooth ride rather than that roller coaster!

I hope we can have a goal fest and score some much needed goals in the CL this season!

A 3-0 would be really good to get.

·
Super Moderator
13,710 Posts
It doesn't really matter if they come out attacking.
We must attack them, all the time, fullbacks included. This is the sort of game were Nesta - Maldini will have a lot of floor to cover, but they know how to do it. I trust them. ;)

The only problem I could see is the way we miss chances. We could have a lot of games with 4 or 5 goals scored, but our players seem to miss two ot three clear ones before scoring when we play home..

·
Registered
19,795 Posts
Arrgghh I'm so nervous about this game. It can go either way, it will all depend on the menatlity of our players.

Com'on why isn't anyone posting in here, this is the most important game of the season sofar, keep us updated guys.

I read somewhere that Maldini and Nesta are slightly injured and might miss the game, does anyone know more about this?

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Pirlo Respects Sparta Threat

Andrea Pirlo fears that Milan’s Champions’ League game against Sparta Prague
won’t be as easy as it looks.

The European champions face the Czech side at the San Siro on Wednesday
following the 0-0 first leg draw.

And although the Rossoneri will be firm favourites to go through, Pirlo is not
underestimating the capital side.

"We need to win at all costs but it won’t be easy," he said. "It’s not great for
a home side to start a second leg at 0-0.

"They are a good team, especially if you give them the chance to play on the
counter attack."

Milan dominated the first leg but failed to pierce a defensive looking Sparta.
Pirlo expects the same sort of tactics tomorrow night.

"They’ll sit deep and try to hit us on the break," he added. "Fortunately we are
quite used to playing sides like that these days."

Milan are in hot form right now and the Italian international hopes that will
continue against Sparta and then Juventus on Sunday.

"We are playing well and we will need to again because this is a very important
game," he continued. "That’s why we will only start thinking about Juventus on
Thursday."

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Ancellotti Fears Sparta Test

Milan boss Carlo Ancelotti insists that Champions’ League opponents Sparta
Prague are a better side away from home.

The Rossoneri take on the Czech outfit at the San Siro on Wednesday after the
first leg ended in a 0-0 draw.

"Sparta are a side to be feared and one that often does well in away games,"
said the tactician.

"That is because they are extremely dangerous on the counter attack as they have
great pace and various midfielders who can get forward."

Milan are favourites to reach the quarter finals but Ancelotti has warned his
squad to remain focused.

"We are fancied to win but this is a very delicate game for us in which we must
stay concentrated," added the former Juventus boss.

"It is vital that we interpret the game in the right manner because the first
leg result is a dangerous one for us."

Milan have been sensational domestically but their critics claim that they are
finding European competition rather more difficult.

"I think that is down to the fact that we complicated our group by losing to
Bruges," he explained.

"That negative result saw the pressure increase on us for the rest of the group
games. That affected us."

Ancelotti has few selection problems and is hopeful that Clarence Seedorf will
be fit after suffering a slight muscle strain in the 3-1 win over Sampdoria.

1 - 20 of 166 Posts