Xtratime Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
38,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A rescheduled match due to their inability to keep a pitch from freezing despite being in the 21st century. SWP is ridiculously suspended for 3 games, and Dunne is still missing. They have Paul Hart in charge FFS and leak goals like a seive. We should by all rights win this one before a trickey European tie. Hopefully after his midweek performance on the right for Brazil Elano will come in for SWP.

-----------------Given
Richards---Onuoha---Kompany---Bridge
----------Zabaleta---De Jong
Elano-----------Ireland-------Robinho
---------------Bellamy

Subs: Hart, Garrido, Fernandes, Weiss, Vassell, Caicedo, Evans.

· Registered
38,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Because Hughes uses him wrong. He tried turning him into Tugay when he doesn't excel playing deep. He's suffered because of Ireland's form really as they both can't play in this formation.

Also did you know we've not won since August away from home? That's ridiculous.

· Registered
38,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
De Jong has been steady rather than spectacular. He's allowed Kompany to move to centre-back and we haven't missed his presence there due to De Jong doing a similar job.

· Registered
38,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
****'s sake. I should be used to this as a City fan, but it's like we're a benevolent society. I'm honestly surprised we didn't lose to Middlesbrough last week, as whenever a team is in poor form we step forward to give them a much needed win. See West Brom, Stoke and now Portsmouth. If we have serious aspirations to even get into the UEFA Cup these are the games we should win. Everton and Aston Villa would not have lost this match, and that's where the difference is. We have not won away from home since August, save that marvellous UEFA Cup win against Schalke where we thought we'd kickstarted our season, and for a manager renowned for grinding out results in difficult games, that is a pathetic performance.

I seriously don't know how Hughes can continue to be backed by Mansour and al-Mubarek. I know they want to appear coy and patient rather than be the new Jesus Gil, but under Hughes we have gone backwards. If Sven is available we should get him back. He'd work wonders with this squad, and never should have been sacked. Hughes cannot cut it at a big club. I know people will say be patient and so on, but I cannot think of one game where we've managed to grind out a result against tenacious and difficult opponents. Our home form is the only thing keeping us competitive in this league, and I cannot see away performances improving with trips to Old Trafford, the Emirates and Anfield. In games we fallen behind we have clawed back a pitiful 2 points. It is not hard to see where our problems lie. Too many stupid goals conceded, which we have attempted to address with the signings of Bridge (at fault for 3 goals already since signing) and Given, but having the players there isn't the only issue. Dunne, Richards and Hart were part of one of the best defences in the Premiership last season, and yet with the same core of players (swapping Corluka for a just as good Zabaleta and an improvement on Hamann in Kompany) we look much worse at the back. The organisation isn't there, and frankly the responsibility must fall at the manager's feet.

The other problem is breaking teams down. Last season Elano was our best player. This season he's been phased out despite being the most creative midfielder we have. If we cannot break teams down, why is he not even playing? All too often Hughes has been too cautious after falling behind. De Jong or Zabaleta should have come off at half time against 10 man Stoke, but it took until the 70th minute to make an attacking substitution. Until he realises we need to go for the jugular immediately we will be a soft touch against sides who defend well.

· Registered
38,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
tino, Logan was average really. Nothing outstanding but hardly at fault for any goals. He didn't look out of his depth. I'd personally have played Fernandes in midfield though and moved Zabaleta to right back, as Logan is even more attack minded than Zab

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.