Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
38,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Advertised as a six-pointer, the real six-pointer was a month ago against West Ham which we threw away. Still a win here will put us 3 points behind West Ham and level with Fulham in the hunt for the final UEFA Cup spot. We're strong at home and Fulham are gash away. Well that was also the story last season when we gifted them the win to save their Premier League status, something I was quite happy to see. Bellamy is injured, so is Kompany, as is SWP and Benjani doubtful and Bridge is missing. Petrov is back though. I'd play McGivern personally at left-back. The sentiment appears to be Garrido and Ball are off in the summer with Hughes choosing to play the Ulsterman as back-up to Bridge, so why not blood him?

Probable team:

--------------Given
Richards---Dunne--Onuoha---Garrido
--------De Jong--Zabaleta
-------------Ireland
----Robinho---Bozhinov--Petrov

Subs: Hart, McGivern, Elano, Evans, Caicedo, Hamann, Sturridge.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
I think Caicedo might start. It depends how fit they are tbh. I'd love to see Petrov start again, but if not, Elano can go on the right. I can't see Sturridge being used as a lone striker again. He was completely ineffective in Europe. Caicedo has more strength and physical presence.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Today's lineup:

Given

Richards---Onuoha---Dunne---Garrido

Zabaleta---De Jong

Etuhu---Ireland---Petrov
Bojinov​

Subs: Hart, Elano, Robinho, Fernandes, Evans, Sturridge, McGivern.

Didn't see that one coming.

Looks like we're resting Robinho for Europe. But ETUHU? Give Elano a game ffs. I've never seen anything from Etuhu to suggest he's anywhere near PL level.

·
Registered
16,482 Posts
Another rubbish performance by the looks of it. Was really unimpressed by your 1st half performance. Talk about a team who lack imagination and movement.

·
Registered
28,216 Posts
Definite rubbish, i know they have one eye on UEFA Cup in midweek but still :yuck:

·
Registered
59,100 Posts
Looks like we're resting Robinho for Europe. But ETUHU? Give Elano a game ffs. I've never seen anything from Etuhu to suggest he's anywhere near PL level.
Hughes already trying to get his compensation packet within a week...

·
Registered
38,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay I just got back. I'm angry and inebriated, but capable of typing.

The performance was a joke. Fulham are gash away from home, but we played a line-up that was never going to impose itself on the game. De Jong is a shadow of the player Kompany is, and cannot dominate a midfield. He also gave away a goal stupidly. Dunne, who I used to rate and defend is no longer good enough and needs replacing. He used to be unfairly criticised as a clumsy oaf with no pace. I'd defend him saying he was underrated and quicker than thought. Well not anymore, the stereotype of him is right. He's been shite all season. Zabaleta gave away a goal but has been excellent for us so I am not giving him any stick. Richards at RB has lost his attacking instincts. At times at 2-1 down he had the ball in a crossing position but didn't put it in. Hughes should have took him off and put Zab there to whip some crosses in. Etuhu will never be EPL standard.

Not one player could get the game by the scruff of the neck. Zabaleta and De Jong couldn't, and Ireland had a rare off day. Petrov will never keep hold of the ball long enough to be our main passer, and Etuhu is just crap.

So what does Hughes do? Not even send on Elano.

My biggest rant of all is reserved for Lesley. You may recall I was against his initial appointment, saying that he'd never kick us onto a level higher than Sven achieved, and I feel vindicated. The squad on paper has improved on last season, and we're in one of the worst Premier Leagues in history. When else would 38 points see us challenging for Europe in April? Our home form has been excellent, but one win away from home means a supposedly old school manager capable of grinding out results is not earning his corn. He was brought in because Sven was too soft, yet we got better results away from home last season under him, and had a squad half the size.

With us 2-1 down, Hughes sent on three substitutes. Elano, our most influential player on the ball was not one of them, despite us crying out for creativity. Therein lies Hughes' problem. He is way too conservative. All three changes were like for like. Richards was poor today, and offering little going forward, so Zabaleta could have shifted to right back. Instead he remained on the pitch to not cross the ball when Bin decent positions. De Jong and Zabaleta both stayed in their holding roles. This is not an isolated incedent. 1-0 down at half time to Stoke, who were down to ten men, we continued to play Kompany and De Jong until 20 minutes from time before adjusting our shape. We had 2 CBs and 2 DMs up against a solitary James Beattie. He will not make the decision to attack the opposition and try to rescue a result. The only occasion I can think of a substitution radically changing things was agaisnt Blackburn when we drew 2-2 thanks to Danny Sturridge. Even our bench options were poor. There was no width at all. Robinho plays wide but cuts in, but aside from that if a winger were injured it was either put Elano out wide of play McGivern at LB and put Garrido on the left. Vlad Weiss should be in the 18 if SWP is injured, as they're similar players.

This job is too big for Hughes. He's been given time, but we're regressing. If we don't beat Hamburg, our season is over completely. I cannot see us progressing next season under Hughes, he just cannot manage us. The "resting" of Robinho looked like a conceited attempt to exert his authority which failed as soon as the fans demanded Robinho, and he was forced to send him on. He'd have earned some more love if he'd sent on Elano, who is being completely ostracised as Hughes does not want to be proven wrong by Elano actually changing a game for us.

Hughes out, its all I can say. If we lose to Hamburg, ADUG must make a decision.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Hughes is not a terrible manager, but he is slowly proving to show he is not a manager of a team that wants to be big. Blackburn is different to Man City considering the expectations.

Anyway, I would still give Hughes the summer and until this coming winter, if he still sucks then you change. it is difficult to make such a first great year out of what he had and what everyone wanted him to achieve.

City were bad today though and you also cost some poor guy 8,000 or something in my bookies as you were only teamto let his acca down.

·
Registered
28,216 Posts
I think Hughes is suited better to a smaller club (Blackburn) with a smaller budget working against the odds.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Strangely, we're not far off being a decent side. Hughes' signings have mainly been very good, but it's the signings he hasn't made that are the issue. We've got glaring weaknesses for all to see; namely height. Richard Dunne is the tallest in the defence (including the GK) at 6'1. Our attacking options are a collection of very skillful, small, quick players. Devestating on their day, but very predictable and easy to counter by a side with any organisation. All of this is compounded by the fact that with so many new players, we're inevitably going to give the ball away more than our players' ability would suggest.

Ironically, Santa Cruz would've added an extra dimension to this. Is the fact that we didn't sign him a sign that the owners are patient, rather than willing to just write blank cheques, or a sign that they're not going to back the manager when they're not planning on keeping him? It's easy to spend a fortune on the likes of Kaka or Villa. Any manager would want them. And even the likes of De Jong would have high resale value if he didn't fit into a new manager's plans, because of his age. But spending a fortune on Santa Cruz would be money down the drain if you're replacing Hughes in the summer for a manager who has his own ideas.

It's almost as if Hughes is willing to sacrifice a few results in order to get the team playing in a way he sees as successful when he has all of the players he wants in place. So rather than playing to a system that defends against the fact that our left back is a weak position, he just accepts it until Wayne Bridge becomes available. It's like the fact that he's got the money backing him up means that he's not bothering to find tactical solutions to problems, just waiting until the next transfer window to fix it. And then when he doesn't get a blank chequebook to buy Santa Cruz, he has no alternative, because he hasn't done what he did when he originally signed Santa, and looked for creative alternatives to simply throwing money at the problem. And you can't manage a team like that. At least I don't think you can. Maybe it's a way of avoiding unnecessary spending and a squad full of stop-gap players in the future like we have atm?

But equally, we were never going to be world-beaters overnight. Sven came 9th, but he did so without having a game every mid-week (and assuming we don't qualify for it next season, whoever's manager will do better too). I'm still not changing my opinion that generally speaking, you should write off the first season of any new manager at a club, and the second season is where you really see whether they know what they're doing.

With all of these managers who do well with small clubs, they do it by building a team that plays a system that generally gets them results. I have no doubt that Hughes will achieve that if he stays until next season. But to take a team onto the next level, you need the tactical ability to be able to get results when, for whatever reason, your usual style of play isn't possible or effective against a particular opponent. And I'm not sure that Hughes has displayed that this season. Someone like David Moyes has, and that's why Everton do it consistantly, and are only thwarted by their lack of funds to give them a big squad. If Everton's strikers are injured, they find a creative solution until they can bring a new striker in. Hughes seems to just accept it until he can buy one. And if a new one isn't available, then it remains a weakness.

I'm not going to say that Hughes should be sacked, but equally I'm not exactly bothered what happens now. I wouldn't object if a certain Dutch fella was approached on Thursday. Or even a certain out-of-work Swede. Or a Portuguese bloke with an expensive coat. But equally, I'm fairly certain that we'd be up there with Villa and Everton if Hughes stays next season.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Hughes is not liked by the players or staff at man city thats wat my mate sed he works as a physio.he also sed hes a very cold hearted man.dunne hates him and richards is scared stiff of him all in all not the right sort of enviorment to be in imo.he said sven tho was the best man manger he has saw apprantley he sed to richards your my mountian i mean wat player wudnlt like that and he was looking great and dunne was week in and out.we given him a seoson and hes done wellish considering but his man mangement skills are shit hes top ten finish manger nothing more nothing less but u know think mourino or mancini are the answer not sum second rate manager settleling for 7 every seoson

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
do you think sven would even consider coming back after getting the sack so recently?
He wouldn't have to consider it for more than 5 seconds. Unlimited budget and none of the people at the club who were responsible for sacking him? Of course he'd come back.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Hughes is not liked by the players or staff at man city thats wat my mate sed he works as a physio.he also sed hes a very cold hearted man.dunne hates him and richards is scared stiff of him all in all not the right sort of enviorment to be in imo.he said sven tho was the best man manger he has saw apprantley he sed to richards your my mountian i mean wat player wudnlt like that and he was looking great and dunne was week in and out.we given him a seoson and hes done wellish considering but his man mangement skills are shit hes top ten finish manger nothing more nothing less but u know think mourino or mancini are the answer not sum second rate manager settleling for 7 every seoson
I've never met him, but from the outside, he does seem to be the "my way or the highway" sort of manager. And at a top club, you can't be like that. Different players require different forms of motivation and management. Some need to be shouted at and some need an arm around them. Based on what I've seen, he seems to be a Graham Souness sort of manager, who will simply ignore any player who doesn't fit in his plans, and sell anyone who's attitude doesn't fit into his style of motivation. I think some managers get around this by having an assistant who can do the things they're not great at, but I don't know much about Mark Bowen.

·
Registered
38,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
An interesting statistic is that we're 11 points worse off at this stage of the season than we were under Sven.

Also your post shyne is exemplified by his treatment of Elano and Hamann who we've been crying out for at times this season.

·
Registered
556 Posts
i now elano hates him and hamman sed fernades is abit of a headless chiken.i mean etuhu wen it shud of bin elano doesent he know the importance of the game wud rather have hamann playing as well than fernerdes

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
An interesting statistic is that we're 11 points worse off at this stage of the season than we were under Sven.
A more interesting statistic is that we'd have to win every game to beat last season's points total (by one point). But having said that, I doubt you'll need 55 points for 9th place this season.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts