Xtratime Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This game is on Setanta so I can watch it. Bruce has turned Wigan into a team very hard to break down. They will come to The City Of Manchester Stadium to defend. City will be without Petrov (suspended) and Richards ( injured.) Vassell will probably replace Petrov. Im hoping Onouha will replace Richards. I really hope Johnson returns to the fold. Elano's slump in form has been since Johnson has been injured. No doubt Bruce will of watched how Everton played and will try the same tactics with Wigan. Sven needs to try new tactics if needed. I think we should beat the likes of Wigan at home. Especialy if we want to make the UEFA Cup. I predict 2-1

·
Registered
103 Posts
I think its time we stuffed somebody....... and today might just be the day. Even without Petrov, who will be a big loss.

Given his impact when on as a sub against Everton, I'm expecting Castillo to play a big part today.

We really need Bojinov too, but I suspect this game is just a little early.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Must win... the team I would play

Hart

Onouha Corluka Dunne Garrido

Ireland Hamann Fernandes

Sturridge Benjani Elano​

·
Registered
38,223 Posts
I agree with Kippax, whose posting is better now (were you drunk on your first post? :D), we do owe a thumping to someone, and after last season's 0-4 to them, we owe Wigan one in particular. It is important to get our season back on track, and it is a must win. I'd go for this personally:

-------------------Hart
Corluka----Onuoha------Dunne-----Ball
-----------Fernandes---Johnson
Vassell-------------Elano---------Castillo
-------------------Benjani

Subs: Isaksson, Garrido, Hamann, Sturridge, Ireland.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Im not sure if Elano and Castillo should both play. They are too similar (although Castillo is more tricky) and the midfield plays too far apart. Indeed if they do both start I would still like Sturridge to play more than Vassell. With Johnson back I would put him in too... not sure whether its for Hamann or Fernandes though. Id probably start Hamann more than Gelson. Need some experience heads in the times like this.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
I think at home it is acceptable. Elano can drop back if needed, and CAstillo can act as another striker.
Elano is not good at dropping back though. We have seen Eriksson do it a few times and Elano has under-performed.

I am not saying they can't play together, but if they do then Man City need a few other things in the squad. Definitely a hard chasing midfield behind them and also full-backs which can come forward effectively. Its why I would select Garrido, whatever anyone says I believe Garrido hasnt been given much of a chance since his 1 or 2 bad matches, but he is still a very strong running full-back. Onouha on the other side is competent. Maybe Hamann, Johnson and Ireland can be the midfield with Elano and Castillo on either side of Benjani.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Elano rarely moves so it would be useless asking him to defend. its like asking Riquelme or Totti to defend when they were a trequartista. It doesnt happen and if indeed this doesnt happen I fear City lose the midfield too often.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Well obviously I didnt mean Elano is static all game, but he is just not a defensive player, he doesnt sover ground at all well and his efforts are simply wasted if asked to come back. Its better just saying to Elano and Castillo to stay upfront and instead City should play 3 proper midfielders. Ireland Hamann and Johnson from right to left. Any reason not to play Vassell aswell. :pp

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Very dissapointing. City were unable to breakdown a team near the bottom of the league at home! Not many chances at all. Elano was carried off injured but appears ok now. I thought Vassell was our best player today. Which shows how badly we played. Bore draw is a well suited term for this game.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I agree with Kippax, whose posting is better now (were you drunk on your first post? :D)
Wasn't drunk, but guy had just pressed all the right buttons in his posts, so I blew my stack. :smileani:

Big let-down yesterday, but impressed with Johnson's return.

European qualification is gonna be tough now, but at least we are battling at the right end of the table for the first time in a long while.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts