Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
54,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Big game for the CL.... a 6 pointer as they say. Eriksson will put out his best available side of course and good luck. Hope its 3 pts way.

·
Registered
38,223 Posts
Indeed a six pointer, Johnson is back in contention and Elano and Corluka return from suspension. Its good to have a strong side out, we'll need it. A 15 day break was exactly what we needed, we've been loking jaded recently. Disappointing though it was to get knocked out of the FA Cup, it could be a blessing in disguise. Everton are strong, but we're very good at home, and I think they may play for a point. We'll need to break them down, and I think it will be 1-0 at the most. I'd stick with the same team that played against United, they worked well together.

-----------Hart
Onuoha--Dunne--Richards--Ball
--------Fernandes--Hamann
Vassell-----Ireland------Petrov
-----------Benjani

Subs will be interesting, for once we'll have a strong bench:

Isaksson, Corluka, Garrido, Elano, Sturridge/Caceido.

I think this game is a bit too early for Johnson to be honest. It'd be nice to have Bozhinov soon as well.

·
Registered
54,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree although I would consider to bring Corluka in for Onouha... that aside I would stick Elano on the bench etc. and bring him on if needed. Not a bad sub. Also because as you said, the team worked well and no need to fix something which isnt broken.

·
Registered
38,223 Posts
I don't think its necessary to bring Corluka in, Onuoha played well last week, and Everton don't have a greeat left wing threat. If Arteta plays out there he cuts in very often.

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
No Sturridge again? Done a lot wrong hasn't he.

Useless.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Any way I can use this as a signature TGO? :D :pp

The Green One said:
I think he's trying to capitalise on a sub-standard defencive unit, Hibbert, Jagielka, Lescott and Valente is average for me. Its surprising how well everton do with such players.
Seriously - Man City must of thought kick off for this game was 9. Would of caused a lot more trouble if they performed the samein the 1st as the 2nd half. Hard luck, but I thought our defence was too good, and Jagielka was brilliant (again). Good luck for the rest of the season ;)

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Elano was shocking, what has happened to him?:eekani:

Benjani is not the striking solution for us, and neither is Castillo. I thought Gelson did well, Vassell works hard but doesn't contribute much at all.

Richards played as a RB in the second half, hopefully this means Corluka gets a go as a CB in the next game, as that is his future.

Petrov is stupid.

·
Registered
54,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I cant say that I saw much of the game, but what I did see, the problems remain the same. Its almost as if the team plays too far apart and relies on individual brilliance. With Elano out of form and petrov also not on fire, its dangerous at the moment.

·
Registered
38,223 Posts
A.Johnson said:
Any way I can use this as a signature TGO? :D :pp

Seriously - Man City must of thought kick off for this game was 9. Would of caused a lot more trouble if they performed the samein the 1st as the 2nd half. Hard luck, but I thought our defence was too good, and Jagielka was brilliant (again). Good luck for the rest of the season ;)
I stand by that. Everton are an average side (Arteta, Yobo, Cahill and Yakubu aside). They overachieve because they play to their strengths and are well organised at the back by an astute manager. On paper you're hardly brilliant, and in football terms you're not glamorous or ambitious. Any midfield pairing of Neville and Carsley demonstrates that. Once you got the goal we had no answer. I don't mean to hate on you, but Everton qualifying for the Champions League will be like rewarding negative football.

We had 64% possession last night, which shows that once Everton had the goal they were happy to defend deep. That is their game, and they are very good at it. I wouldn't say we were woeful. Most sides struggle to break Everton down when they're behind, and we're not that special. We couldn't go centrally, and out wide they have to defencive minded "full backs". Lescott is a centre-half, most wingers will struggle to go round him, and he doesn't leave gaps because he doesn't get forward with the ball. I'm not going to call for Sven's head, we weren't woeful last night, we just made the mistake of conceding the first goal. As I said all night, the first goal would win the game.

Our season is not over, Champions League would be too early for us anyway, with such a small squad, we've looked jaded already this season. UEFA Cup is still possible and would be part of a natural progression demonstrated by a club like Everton, not going gung ho but gaining experience of playing in two competitions and balancing the squad accordingly, before beginning to challenge for the Champions League.

Oh, and Everton fans are shite, they sat down for most of the first half, before singing for about 10 minutes after scoring. Seriously unimpressed by "the people's club"

·
Registered
38,223 Posts
samardzija said:
Elano was shocking, what has happened to him?:eekani:

Benjani is not the striking solution for us, and neither is Castillo. I thought Gelson did well, Vassell works hard but doesn't contribute much at all.

Richards played as a RB in the second half, hopefully this means Corluka gets a go as a CB in the next game, as that is his future.

Petrov is stupid.
Okay Elano had some bad touches, but he was hardly shocking. Where the hell was he meant to play the ball when Everton sat on the edge of their box? He tries to be creative, but we were suffocated by a royal blue tide. He needs more space.

Benjani is our striking option, but he was let down by his supply.

Richards played well as a RB, but Corluka is not the right move for CB, we need Richards or Onuoha as a CB, for pace. Dunne-Corluka is too slow.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
that's the spirit TGO, the more p****d off and bitter you are - the better :crybaby: :howler:
provided we qualify for europe this season, then 2 years in a row is a hec of a long time to be over achieving for :haha: I also woudn't call a defence that has only conceded 1 goal in the PL this year sub-standard, or the fact that wehave yet to be beaten by a team outside the top 3 since October.
Oh - and I also never said that we were brilliant in the first place.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
The Green One said:
Okay Elano had some bad touches, but he was hardly shocking. Where the hell was he meant to play the ball when Everton sat on the edge of their box? He tries to be creative, but we were suffocated by a royal blue tide. He needs more space.

Benjani is our striking option, but he was let down by his supply.

Richards played well as a RB, but Corluka is not the right move for CB, we need Richards or Onuoha as a CB, for pace. Dunne-Corluka is too slow.
Sorry but some of Elano's passes were absolute turd, i thought he was shocking for the standard he set earlier on in the season.

On Benjani, i was more referring to the long term, he is not the solution for us, he might be decent for the rest of the season, but apart from this season with Portsmouth, he wasn't exactly banging in the goals for his previous clubs. He's more of a short term fix.

I don't know about you, but i'd rather have pace along the sides than in the middle, which would make Richards a better option for RB than Corluka. Corluka knows how to bring the ball out of defence, and uses his 'head' more than Richards. Corluka plays like a veteran, while Richards tends to get exposed a lot against quality opponents.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
The Infamous_LFC said:
I agree with TGO

Best quote this forum has even witnessed in 'Everton are an average side'

Love it keep them coming.
Pretty good quote yourself actually, considering the 50 odd million liverpool have spent this season, and you still struggle to get above an average side. Think we can then class Liverpool as below-average? :howler:

·
Registered
54,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Everton have a great team spirit and I for one may have under-rated their player for player excellence. For example, Yakubu is a very good striker (for EPL anyway). Pienaar and Arteta are very classy players. Fernandes is very good and they have 2 or 3 solid EPL defenders. Of course a great manager too. Without being undermining to Everton fans when I say... the next big job in the EPL (Man U or Chelsea for example) should go to Moyes, but we know it wont.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts