Xtratime Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
What a good signing! Just as I think James is a commited Hammer, he moves to Manchester City with fellow England hero David Seaman. :eek:

I wonder which will start. James is clearly the more agile, but this is Seaman's last year and I don't think he had plans to spend it on the bench when he moved.

·
1st Tier Poster
48,878 Posts
Man City agree James fee

England goalkeeper David James is in talks with Manchester City about a transfer from West Ham.
The two clubs have agreed a fee for James, who is in Manchester for talks with the Premiership club.

City manager Kevin Keegan is looking for a replacement for David Seaman, who has announced his retirement from the game because of a shoulder injury.

James will undergo a medical on Wednesday and could make his City debut against Blackburn on Saturday.

Keegan told City's website: "David James is a tremendous acquisition.

"We have been looking to strengthen the goalkeeping position and to secure the England number one is terrific news."

Keegan is keen to bring in a keeper with Premiership experience and James, 33, fits the bill.

City have also offered Icelandic international keeper Arni Gautur Arason a trial.

Arason, 28, is available on a Bosman transfer after being released by Norwegian club Rosenborg.

But it seems likely that James would be the preferred option and he knows Keegan from his time as England manager.

West Ham manager Alan Pardew revealed he had consented to James' transfer to help reinvigorate the First Division club's promotion bid.

"The fact is that the money from this transfer will fund the acquisition of players that I feel will increase our chances of promotion at the first attempt - and that is the sole reasoning behind my agreeing to it.

"I am looking to bring in another keeper, and I am also looking to strengthen the outfield to a considerable degree so we can move forward as soon as possible."

bbc

·
1st Tier Poster
48,878 Posts
Remento said:
What a good signing! Just as I think James is a commited Hammer, he moves to Manchester City with fellow England hero David Seaman. :eek:

I wonder which will start. James is clearly the more agile, but this is Seaman's last year and I don't think he had plans to spend it on the bench when he moved.
Seaman announced his retirement today.So there will be no selection problems for Keegan in goalkeeper department.James will be Man City's No.1 from now on.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
To be honest with you, I think Seaman is gutted that we've signed James and thats why he has retired. James is a good keeper with a good defence in front of him. How good he is behind Citys.......:D :D :D

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
All you need now is McAteer, Ruddock and Redknapp and the Spice boys are in full force again ! Whats the wink for Balis, i think thats a serious and true comment !

·
Registered
38,223 Posts
I feared for our safety more with Seaman in net. James is a great goalie. He has really matured in the past year since being made England number one. It has done wonders for him as he is now confident when coming for a ball, and is a great shot stopper. Good acquisition for us at 1.5m also. Seaman had one year too many and cost us a fair amount of points this season with his errors.

Originally posted by Balis-of-Steel
I fear for City's survival now you have James
Could be worse I suppose, could not be in the division at all eh balis ;) Anyway, we've done you a favour, taking James off the hammers. :)

Originally posted by King of the Kop
i think thats a serious and true comment !
Of course, we were still good last season to turn liverpool from being a champions league team to mid table team by beating you to allow Chelsea 4th spot :tongue:

~ The Green ;)ne

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
No skin off my nose, you have just signed the now worst keeper in the EPL.David James is a terrible keeper and always has been.

·
Third Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
12,813 Posts
I am still very nervous when he plays for England.
I dont see him week in week out, but he looks over confident some times. I have seen several occasions this season where he has been at fault for WHU goals.

Sorry I still think he's trouble.

·
Registered
38,223 Posts
No that was Kevin Stuhr-Ellegaard, 20 year old Dane who only made his debut this season. It was his fifth start, and he still looks nervous. Poor judgement of the cross, but with games under his belt he should come good in the future. James was cup-tied and 2nd choice Arni Arason had a thigh strain so only made the bench.

~ The Green ;)ne

1 - 12 of 12 Posts