1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
38,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
City snap up Brazilian striker
Agreement for 21-year-old striker shows Sven-Goran Eriksson is planning
for next season

Thaksin Shinawatra last week insisted that Manchester City need more midfielders but today his club strengthened its strikeforce by agreeing a £20m deal for Brazilian forward Jô, guardian.co.uk understands.
The 21-year-old has just begun his second season with CSKA Moscow, scoring twice in five appearances so far this campaign. He has been the subject of rave reviews since arriving in Russia from Corinthians in 2006 and reportedly became a target for Arsenal after netting 10 times in his first 12 matches in Europe.

Jô's first season was interrupted by injury, but he returned after many months absence and quickly rediscovered his form, hitting enough goals to make him joint top scorer in the league with Spartak's Roman Pavlyuchenko, the striker whose two goals undid England in Moscow last year.
At 6ft 2in, Jô is a powerful aerial presence but his main qualities are his speed and technique. He has already been capped once by Brazil and the national team manager Dunga has told the player that if the Home Office does not grant him a work permit he will send a letter to assist with the inevitable appeal.

From the guardian.co.uk

Bloody hell, 20m! Lets hope he's worth it. He's a good player, no doubt, and is big enough to lead the line. Good to see us building already :thumbsup:

·
Registered
33,200 Posts
£20m is absolutely outrageous, he's gonna have incredible pressure on him.

So SGE will be here next season after all then.

·
Registered
38,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good point about the pressure Yatta. Hopefully Bozhinov is challenging then as well so we have some back-up. Lets hope we splash the cash a bit more on some quality to take the heat off him eh? :D Maybe Diego?

·
Registered
33,200 Posts
Good point about the pressure Yatta. Hopefully Bozhinov is challenging then as well so we have some back-up. Lets hope we splash the cash a bit more on some quality to take the heat off him eh? :D Maybe Diego?
Whatever that can continue to make Anderson feel happy in Manchester. :pp

I'm still gobsmacked at the price, it's probably nothing to the the Thai bloke but the bar has been set pretty high again for this summer. That's around 30m euros which is what Milan are trying to pay for Ronaldinho. :howler:

Far too much money in English football.

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
Yeah, £20m is too much, we where very close to Jô, offered about £17m and CSKA didn't budge, they demanded £20m...

But, how many strikers do you guys want, especially in the system you are playing....

·
Registered
38,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, £20m is too much, we where very close to Jô, offered about £17m and CSKA didn't budge, they demanded £20m...

But, how many strikers do you guys want, especially in the system you are playing....
We need quality though. We only really have Benjani. Bozhinov is recovering from injury and Sturridge is young. Vassell is a winger now, and Mpenza, Corradi, Samaras and Dickov are all on their way out at the end of the season.

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
What about Caicedo?

Still, you got the money, at least your using it..

Jô is quality, great signing if true..

·
A true hero
31,326 Posts
Yeah, I don't think money is really an issue here. You're not a profit geared club right now. It's Shinawatra's money and if he wants to spend that much on Jo, then that's not something anyone here should worry about.

As a signing it should be a massive upgrade on what you have, depending on how well he settles. Most important thing is he suits your current system perfectly. Benzema, Torres and Eto'o are the only guys I can think off the top of my head that suit it better and they're obviously not realistic targets.

·
Registered
38,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'd say hes a similar standard to Jo. For that matter also I think this transfer shows how hard it is to sign a decent striker, how one has to look away from Spain, Italy and England, and towards other nations.

·
A true hero
31,326 Posts
Well with Jo, you're buying potential, I don't think there's much room for Kerzhakov to get much better than he is already, a good player, Jo is poentially excellent.

BTW, I wouldn't worry about pressure, my gut feeling is your marquee summer signing and fan attention grabber will be the return of SWP.

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
SWP would be good, but benching Ireland is hard, he was amazing when he played in the 'hole' against Pompey...

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
So this is a done deal? I thought we're outside the transfer window?

BTW, has Nery Castillo been getting any minutes? What do you think of him?

·
Registered
38,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So this is a done deal? I thought we're outside the transfer window?

BTW, has Nery Castillo been getting any minutes? What do you think of him?
He's been injured, he dislocated his shoulder in his 2nd game and hasn't featured too much since. He was excellent against Spurs though.

As for Ireland I hear Sunderland are ready to make an 8m bid. I'd consider 8m. I like him, hes a home grown player, but I'm not entirely sure if we could turn down 8m.

As for SWP? He's a poor man's Vlad Weiss :D

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Jo is a very good player. Not sure on the price, but he would be very good at City.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts