Xtratime Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wednesday 2nd Ferbruary 2005, 19:45 at Hampden.

On Wednesday we have the chance to play in our first final since we beat Dundee to win the Scottish Cup at the end of May 2003. Hopefully we can not only win this game but go on to win the cup too.

We are playing our bogey team though so it won't be easy. We've failed to beat them in the last 4 attempts and you haev to go back to December 2003 for our last victory against them- 2-1 win at Ibrox. Hopefully we can beat them this time.

They have been struggling of late but that won't matter. They'll still give us a good game and I expect this to be very close. Here are their last 5 results in the league.

• 2-2 Dundee (Home)
  • 1-1 Dunfermline (Away)
  • 2-3 Hearts (Away)
  • 1-1 Rangers (Home)
  • 1-4 Hibs (Home)

They were a better side last season and gave us a tough time. We won the first two meetings but they then beat us 2-0 at Tannadice before drawing 3-3 at Ibrox. This year has seen a change in their fortunes and they are stuck in the relgattion zone. They are still maintaining good form against us though and are unbeaten after two meetings.

SPL, matchday ten (24th Oct 2004)
Rangers 1(0)-(0)1 Dundee U
Novo 69, Robson 90

SPL, matchday twenty-one(1st Jan Oct 2005)
Dundee U 1(1)-(0)1 Rangers
McCracken 11, Namouchi 90

As it's the cup I better post a reminder of the 4 clubs involved in the competiton and how they got there. Here you go:

Second Round
Dundee U 3-1 Stranraer
Morton 0-3 Motherwell
(Rangers and Hearts get by)

Third Round
Aberdeen 0-2 Rangers
Dundee U 4-0 Clyde
Hearts 2-1 Kilmarnock
Inverness 1-3 Motherwell

Quarter Final
Rangers 2-1 Celtic
Hearts 3-1 Dunfermline
Dundee U 2-1 Hibs
Livingston 0-5 Motherwell

Semi-Final
Motherwell v Hearts (Easter Road)
Rangers v Dundee U (Hampden Park)

Rangers will most likely field their new on loan keeper Ronald Waterreus with Kyrgiakos likely to start too. I don't think McLeish will see this as a chance to rest players so will go with his strongest squad.

Code:
             Waterreus 

Ross          Andrews         Kyrgiakos          Ball

Ricksen           A.Rae             Djordjic

Buffel                   

Novo         Prso

Prediction: 2-1 to the Rangers.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
McLeish will play his strongest eleven without question. One, he'll be desperate for success in any tournament right now, and two, the team has a free weekend because of the Scottish Cup matches.

I haven't read anything about Djordjic's injury, so I don't know if he's available. I'll always question the inclusion of Ross, and i'm not sure why Ball was played ahead of Vignal at the weekend. Other than that, the line-up should be what chivo thinks.

Can't see anything other than a Rangers victory in the regulation 90 minutes. For some reason, i'm hitting an optimistic patch :confused: Rangers to win by a couple of goals for me. Can't believe that stat that we've not beaten them for 4 matches. At least it won't be 5.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Marco Negri said:
I think Ferguson will start. He's not still 'injured', is he?
He expects to be on the bench as he hasn't played for a few weeks.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Djordjic has been ruled out for a month after picking up a groin injury against Livi at the weekend. Vignal missed the game at the weekend with a similar injury so probably won't play in this one.

It only really leaves one player who can play on that side so here is my revised team, like Angle I'd prefer to see Hutton at right back.

Code:
             Waterreus 

Ross          Andrews         Kyrgiakos          Ball

Ricksen           A.Rae             Namouchi

Buffel                   

Novo         Prso

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Teddy Bear said:
is Lovenkrands still injured?
Last update I heard on him was before the Aberdeen game and he was still injured, although Lovenkrands himself was talking about being fit for that game. I guess he can't be too far away. Is that good or bad?

Arveladze would be another option, but last I heard he was still injured as well.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did you know that under Alex McLeish Rangers have never lost a CIS Cup match in open play? Hopefully that will continue tonight. It will be his 12th match in the competition with Rangers tonight. 3 of the previous 11 games involved beating Celtic each time :)

2001/02

Semi-final Rangers 2-1 Celtic
[Lovenkrands 45, Balde 74, Konterman 105]

Final Rangers 4-0 Ayr United
[Flo 44, Ferguson 47 (pen), Caniggia 75, 89]

3rd Round Hibernian 2-3 Rangers
[Murray 6, Townsley og 21, Caniggia 24, O’Connor 72, Lovenkrands 78]

Quarter Final Dunfermline Athletic 0-1 Rangers
[Caniggia 79]

Semi-final Rangers 1-0 Hearts
[de Boer 27]

Final Rangers 2-1 Celtic
[Caniggia 22, Lovenkrands 34,Larsson 56]

2003/04

3rd Round Rangers 6-0 Forfar
[Nerlinger 15, Lovenkrands 22, Capucho 50, Nerlinger 53, Nerlinger 70, Ostenstad 75]

Quarter Final Rangers 3-0 St. Johnstone
[Burke 16, Ostenstad 59, Mols 90]

Semi-final Rangers 1-1 Hibs
[Mols 40, Dobbie 79]
HIBS WIN 4-3 ON PENALTIES

[Livingston win the final 2-0 against Hibs]

2004/05

3rd Round Aberdeen 0-2 Rangers
[Ricksen 45, Thompson 89]

Quarter Final Rangers 2-1 Celtic
[Hartson 66, Prso 85, Arveladze 100]

Semi-final Rangers v Dundee United
TO BE PLAYED

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Tonights line-up:

----------------------Waterreus------------------------
Ross------------Andrews-----Kyrgiakos------------Vignal (?)

----------------Ricksen-------Rae----------------------
Novo------------------------------------------------Ball (?)
-----------------------Buffel----------------------------
------------------------Prso----------------------------

I'm guessing Ball will be left-mid, with Vignal behind him. Only five subs allowed in CIS Cup matches. On the bench are; Smith (GK), Malcolm, Ferguson, Namouchi, Thompson.

Let's get it won early on.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Final Score: Rangers 7-1 Dundee United - Well done to anyone with successful correct score bets.

Think it's fair to say that the scoreline doesn't really reflect how the game went. In the first half United were garbage, and we played quite well. Novo opened the scoring after seven minutes, latching onto Buffel's through-ball and rounding Colgan in the United goal. Prso added the second 10 minutes later, with a looping header from 15 yards that Colgan will want to forget. Novo had the chance to completely finish the game before half-time when Rangers were awarded a penalty. Paul Ritchie was adjudged to have tugged Prso's shirt by referee Dallas, a decision which may have been 'soft', but was technically correct. Anyway, Colgan saved Novo's weak penalty easily and hopefully spot-kick duty will pass on to someone else for the remainder of the season. Two-nil at half-time then.

United manager Ian McCall made a tactical switch at half-time, which paid almost immediate dividends when Jason Scotland pulled a goal back after 50 minutes. There was an element of indecision in Rangers new central defence, with Andrews probably more at fault than Kyrgiakos. A shaky period followed where United threatened to equalise. First, Jim McIntyre was given far too much time to unleash a seemingly goalbound shot that hit both posts before landing in Waterreus' arms. Soon afterwards Dallas waved away a solid looking penalty claim for United. The ball played big Marvin on the arm, but the bottom line is that Andrews shouldn't have had his arm outstretched like that.

Regardless, Rangers went on to make the game safe when Buffel moved quickly to the front post to slot Novo's pull-back away with the aid of a slight deflection. The Belgian looked as if the confidence of a goal was badly needed. McLeish saw the third goal as a perfect chance to throw the prodigal son back into the mix. Barry Ferguson came on to a great reception, replacing Alex Rae, who was found wanting on too many occasions in midfield. Prso then made way for Thompson, who quickly staked a claim for a starting place in the team. First, Thompson 'won' the free-kick that emergent deadball wizard Fernando Ricksen expertly dispatched to make it 4-1, then went on to score himself via an excellent half-volley finish from 16 yards, as well as prod the ball home from close range to close the scoring. In between, Ferguson showed a glimpse of what the team has been missing, taking a quick free-kick to put Novo clean through for a routine finish.

Not a perfect display from Rangers by any means, but perhaps an indication of what we can look forward to in the coming weeks.

P.S. I thought Ball had a good game at left-back, and hope he keeps his place in the team.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We looked a bit ropey at the back but won comfortably. They had a 15 minute spell but I think that was expected after running riot in the first half. Again we thought it was all over and never really came out the changing room at half time. When we had to step up we did and in style :smileani:

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
It was a walk over and Dundee Utd only gave a damn for about 10 minutes when they scored and hit the post apart fro mthat we owned them all over the park. Kyriakos was superb and looks like a fantastic signing and Fergie and Novo looked like they had been playing together for ages....

7-1 and we still have players getting used to other players and the SPL style...a lot more still to come :)

WATP

1 - 14 of 14 Posts