Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sunday 20th March 2005, 15:00 at Hampden.

THE DAVIE COOPER FINAL

Sunday's League Cup final will honour Davie Cooper as a mark of respect to commemorate the 10th anniversary of the player's death. Cooper died from a brain haemorrhage in 1995, aged just 39. He was a legend at Ibrox and finished his career with the Steelmen so it is fitting that a decade on two of his former clubs will battle it out in the final. The only other club Cooper played for was Clydebank but the club where he started his career is now gone too.

Tickets for Sunday's match will carry the image of Davie Cooper and 25p of every programme sold will go towards the establishment of a centre for special-needs children which carries his name.

THE CIS FINALl 2004/05

The time has come for someone to lift the first silverware of the season and the Glasgow Rangers are there. An impressive cup run has seen them coast by all SPL opposition. Each fixture looked tough on paper against sides who had all taken points from Rangers in the league but we showed the character to come through each one to meet our destiny in a Hampden final.

The League Cup, or CIS Cup as it's now known, is our cup. We own that cup. No one even comes close to our record in this tournament. A win on Sunday would see our record double that of rivals Celtic. Rangers have lifted the trophy 23 times to Celtic's 12 times. We stand head and shoulders above everyone else in this tournament.

The Cup itself is currently owned by Livingston after they beat Hibernian 2-0 in last year's final. Hibernian had already done the hard part by first knocking out Celtic in regulation time and then knocking out Rangers via a penalty shoot out in the semi-finals. It was not to be their final though.

Rangers last lifted the trophy two seasons ago in their treble winning season when they eased past rivals Celtic 2-1 at Hampden. Caniggia and Lovenkrands got the goals that day that had the cup won by half-time. It's a trophy manager McLeish has won twice in three attempts and Rangers will be hopefull of another won on Sunday.

Motherwell will be the opponents on Sunday. The Lanarkshire club have only appeared in two previous finals since the competition started in the 1946/47 season after the war. Both those finals were over 50 years ago. They won it with a 3-0 win over Hibernian in the 1950/51 season but then went on to lose their only other final 4-2 to Hearts. It's a long time to wait for another final.

MOTHERWELL

Motherwell have been on a decent unbeaten run of late in the league since losing to Dundee 6 games previously. They will be hoping to take that for into Sunday's match and give Rangers a real shake. Here are their last 5 results in the league.

• 1-1 Livingston (Away)
  • 2-0 Dundee United (Home)
  • 1-1 Dunfermline (Away)
  • 2-0 Hearts (Home)
  • 1-1 Hibs (Home)

Motherwell had an easier route to the final than Rangers but also had to play a round more than Rangers. They have been convincing in every round up until the semi-final, anyone could have one that night in the late, late show.

Second Round Greenock Morton 0-3 Motherwell
Paterson 42, McBride 67 (pen), Clarkson 75

Third Round Inverness 1-3 Motherwell
Foran 47, O'Donnell 52, Tokely 58, McBride 85

Quarter Final Livingston 0-5 Motherwell
Dorado 3 (og), Foran 38, O'Donnell 57, Foran 60, Wright 90

Semi-Final Motherwell 3-2 Hearts
Craigan 20, Foran 78 (pen), Burchill 85, Thorarinsson 90, Fitzpatrick 120

RANGERS

Rangers have not been playing their best football of late and instead grinding out results. They had been cruising 6 weeks ago with a difficult schedule ahead and showed their strength by hammering Dundee United, playing Hibs off the park and then going to take all 3 points at Celtic Park. Those were all challenges and they rose to them but without that challenge their form seems to have dipped. They will have to be at their best on Sunday if they are to lift the cup. Here are their last 5 results in the league.

• 2-0 Dundee (Away)
  • 1-1 Inverness (Home)
  • 2-1 Hearts (Away)
  • 2-1 Kilmarnock (Home)
  • 2-0 Celtic (Away)

Every round was a challenge for Rangers in the CIS Cup on the way to the final. In the third round they met Aberdeen at Pittodrie. At that time the Dons had already held Rangers to a 0-0 draw earlier in the season and gone all 7 games unbeaten in the league losing only one goal to a penalty. In the quarter final Rangers faces old firm rivals Celtic and then in the semi final they met Dundee United who they hadn't beaten in their last 4 attempts.

Third Round Aberdeen 0-2 Rangers
Ricksen 45, Thompson 89

Quarter Final Rangers 2-1 Celtic
Hartson 66, Prso 85, Arveladze 100

Semi-Final Rangers 7-1 Dundee United
Novo 7, Prso 18, Scotland 50, Buffel 67, Ricksen 77, Thompson 80, Novo 85, Thompson 88

HEAD TO HEAD

The sides have only met twice this season with Rangers winning both matches. They are due to meet in the league in 2 weeks time after the Internationals are played.

SPL, 17th Oct 2004
Motherwell 0(0)-(1)2 Rangers
Prso 7, 83

SPL, 27th Dec 2004
Rangers 4(2)-(0)1 Motherwell
Novo 3, 15, McDonald 49, Arveladze 53, Thompson 86

TEAM

This will follow later in the week when it is established who is available.

Prediction: 3-1 to the Rangers.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
If we continue playing as we have in the last 2 or 3 games then we'll lose. As it will be a bit of a break for the players from the usual that will hopefully re-invigorate them and a good performance and win could be the catalyst for further success.

Looking forward to it, i've even got a decent seat for a change instead of the usual crap i get at hampden :)

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't go to the game so will have to make do with the radio or TV. :crybaby: Won't be a pub job though. Sunday was a nightmare watching in the pub as I was surrounded by drunken Welshman and the blaring commentry was the rugby in the second half.

If we do play like we've been playing in the last 3 games then I'd agree that we won't win because Motherwell will be right up for this one. Hopefully we can get a performance and result on a par with our last visit to Hampden- that would be nice.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
I've got a good feeling about this one and my good feelings can generally be trusted (cos they don't happen that often) :shades:. Rangers will coast to victory in this match imho. I'm sure the players will gladly exchange the pressure of the title race for the pressure of a one-off match.

Motherwell seem to be very much the forgotten team of the SPL. They've had a quietly decent season, and can't be taken lightly. Still, Rangers to win with goals to spare.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hope you are correct. I'd much rather we won this game easily than it going to the wire or even worse beyond the 90 minutes. A good show here could get Rangers back on track in the performance stakes.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Marco Negri said:
What channel is it on? Please say BBC One.
I'm pretty sure it is although haven't seen it confirmed. The semi-final was on the BBC so hopefully they paid the extra fiver to get the final too. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alex Rae says he wants to play in this one, I hope he does. I'm not sure if something is going on behind the scenes there. Rae was vice-captain and should have been automatic captain when Klos got injured. For some reason though Ricksen has the captaincy and no one has ever came out to say why this is the case.

I heard that Bazza is having groin problems again so it might be an idea to rest him. I thought he didn't look comfortable in the Dundee game. It was very unusual to see him get robbed so often and make stray passes. This would be a factor in our form dip since the Celtic Park win.

Lovenkrands is back, woopee! Hopefully he won't make the bench. :happy:

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Latest news is that Andrews is still a doubt for Sunday after picking up that knee injury at Dens. Rangers are giving him up until the last minute to declare himself fit for that one. Zurab and Bob will no doubt deputise if he doesn't make it. What happened to those healing hands Marv? Not a very good advert for his roadshow. Maybe he forgot to take his gloves off.

Bazza will be fit but is apparently suffering not only from a groin strain but also a hamstring problem. Again I'd rest him on the bench and put Rae on from the start but that's unlikely to happen.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Rae would have obtained the captaincy if he was playing regularly. I think he was captain once when Klos got injured, but i'm not sure.

btw, i've seen McLeish refer to Fergie's injury as a knee injury. Hold on a minute, I didn't see him refer to it, I read a quote from him in a newspaper...

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lol

Fergie must be falling apart. That's a knee, groin and hamstring injury now. He definitely hasn't looked right since the Celtic game.

·
Registered
461 Posts
What a performnace the boys had there, 2nd half especially. Tore them to peices and we should have had more.

Fergsuon, Ricksen, Buffel, Kyrgiakos and Ross were awesome, agains especially 2nd half.

Fair play to Motherwell, but they were never gonna win this. Ferguson controlled it, Ricksen drove us forward and Buffel and Vignal did the flashy stuff. Midfield dominated the game from start to finish.

Great to see Buffel starting to prove his doubters wrong. 2nd half he showed why we paid the money we did for him. Great touch, link up and vision. Long may it continue.

In fact, I would say we were quite 'scintillating'...

There is only one Davie Cooper.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
We started the match properly for a change, and pretty much managed to maintain our control throughout. I was really happy to see Buffel play well, shame he didn't get on the scoresheet. Prso might not have scored today, but I love the guy's attitude and commitment. He'll soon become the new Albertz figure at Rangers in terms of a foreigner taking the club to his heart.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Drito said:
Had the tickets....Not sure why I decided to not go. :eek:
I'm not sure why you didn't give them to me :mad: ;)

I've not been to Hampden in ages. Don't really like the place.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
First bit of silverware with hopefully more to follow. Scintillating, awesome, absoloutley incredible, fantastic, etc.- not my words but those of St Martain so thought I'd borrow them for a change even though it wasn't a quarter final tie against Clyde ;)

Our dip in form is over and we're back to out best.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Angle_eyes said:
I've got a good feeling about this one and my good feelings can generally be trusted (cos they don't happen that often) :shades:. Rangers will coast to victory in this match imho. I'm sure the players will gladly exchange the pressure of the title race for the pressure of a one-off match.
I thank you :bow:

Like the new sig. chivo :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
great result and a good performance :thumbsup:

Ricksen, Buffel and Kyrgiakos in particular were really good :thumbsup:

And who was that right back? Some new signing? :eek:

btw Congratulations for the NEW world record of winning 106 major trophies

breaking the old record previously held by....well....us :D :party:

Hopefully make it 107 in May :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts