Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been a long time coming but on Sunday at 3 O'Clock we'll step out at Hampden in our first cup final since 20th March 2005. Almost 3 years ago we hammered Motherwell 5:1 to lift the League Cup with goals from Kyrgiakos (2), Ross, Novo and Ricksen. Of that side only Buffel, Ferguson and Novo are still at the club.

Three years on and two managers later we are still searching for silverware and this is our first chance to get it. It won't be easy but a repeat of the 7:1 hammering we gave the Arabs the last time we met at Hampden would do nicely- that was on the road to our last trophy.

After a midweek draw at Celtic Park Craig Levein will be confident that his side can pull off a surprise here. Added to that they have an extra incentive to win. It's widely known that chairman Eddie Thompson has cancer and for a man who has thrown so much money into the club he loves it would be fitting to see his team lift the cup. That's what will drive the players.

For Rangers though we cannot let sentiment get in the way of getting our hands on silverware. That would ease alot of the pressure and failure could change the course of our season. From that point of view it will be interesting to see what kind of reaction we see from the players after the highs of the midweek UEFA Cup game. As diddy cups go the CIS Cup is the daddy but it would still be nice to add it to the haul.

I'm hoping Walter goes with a 4-4-2 on Sunday. As already mentioned in other threads our main concern is up front with Darche and Cousin out and Naismith cup tied. Novo can't play on his own and McCulloch as a lone striker in this match would be a farce. We have plenty of willing and able partners should Walter play a 4-4-2 but I doubt he will- we are a bit top heavy at the moment in the midfield area so he will no doubt accomodate there.

Let's hope for a Rangers win.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
I know this is only the diddy cup, but I think it's a very important match for us. We must keep our momentum going at this stage of the season. Losing this one could start to put doubts in the minds of the players about how the season will end. The fact that our next game after this is Plastic Whistle at Ibrox should mean Walter goes with the strongest possible line-up.

I also think we should be going 4-4-2, but i've stopped criticising Walter for his formations since the results have been good so far. At the very least surely he won't play Dailly and Hemdani in the same midfield. Taking one of them out and adding Burke would be a positive move at least.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm trying to cut Walter some slack and stop moaning about him considering how results have gone this season but really I can't help myself. For a domestic final to not even field a striker is appaulling. I'm not saying it's not enough to win the match but really as pish as Boyd is how the hell can he not get a game when he is the only striker we have available?

Today's Team:

---------------McGregor

Broadfoot---Cuellar----Weir-----Papac

----------------Dailly

Burke----Ferguson-----Hemdani----McCulloch

--------------McCulloch

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It seems we actually have 2 strikers available as I forgot about Darche. Both of them are on the bench. I'm really puzzled at this one. Not that I am underestimating Dundee United for apart from an Old Firm meeting we should be playing a 4-4-2 against everyone else in Scotland no matter where the game is played.

The Bench

Alexander
Whittaker
Thomson
Boyd
Darcheville

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
I'm trying to cut Walter some slack and stop moaning about him considering how results have gone this season but really I can't help myself. For a domestic final to not even field a striker is appaulling. I'm not saying it's not enough to win the match but really as pish as Boyd is how the hell can he not get a game when he is the only striker we have available?

Today's Team:

---------------McGregor

Broadfoot---Cuellar----Weir-----Papac

----------------Dailly

Burke----Ferguson-----Hemdani----McCulloch

--------------McCulloch
McCulloch will be knackered by the end of the match ;)

I'm a bit disappointed that it's McCulloch up front too. I don't see a lot of goals in this match now. Hopefully we'll get any that there are. Big Cuellar 1st goal for me :hopeful: That wee **** Hunt usually causes us problems.

Mon the Rangers!

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Shocking first half. It's as if we still think we're playing Bremen. Second best all over the park. Time to think again at half-time, Walter. Burke just keeps trying to cut inside instead of hitting the bye-line. Not that there's anyone in the box to cross to anyway. Step it up Rangers ffs.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That wee **** Hunt usually causes us problems.
How true.

The formation has turned out to be all wrong. It's designed to hold out and now that we are 1:0 down we look lost. It might be too late now because going behind has caused us to look very jaded now but Walter still has to play 4-4-2. Hopefully he'll bring in a forward to do that and not just pair Dailly up front with McCulloch. :D

The captain has been pish again. Strangely he's been our main goal threat but his passing has been awful.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Shocking first half. It's as if we still think we're playing Bremen. Second best all over the park. Time to think again at half-time, Walter. Burke just keeps trying to cut inside instead of hitting the bye-line. Not that there's anyone in the box to cross to anyway. Step it up Rangers ffs.
Yes I can't believe he's playing Burke on the left which means he's having to cut back. McCulloch is supposed to be the left midfielder and he's up front, our forwards are on the bench and Davis is playing where Buke should be. 4 central midfielders and a right winger playing on the left with a midfielder up front. Walter really does some strange things.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Ferguson thinks he's got a free role and as a result he's not effective in midfield or up front. When he drops back into midfield he's just getting in the way of things. Boyd or Darcheville on and Hemdani or Dailly off.

We need a much more balanced side. I really fear the worst now.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Darcheville for Hemdani is the change. Hemdani did say he's never felt so tired after a match as he did after the Bremen game. Maybe Smith should have had the sense to take this as a warning, but better late than never...

Let's see how long Darcheville's hamstrings last.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Darche for Hamdani. Still unbalanced but an improvement.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Penalties.

I don't fancy us to be honest. I'd always bet on the team that are less fatugued.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Walter made a big mistake taking off Papac. For one he was our only guy on the left who was left footed and although his distribution was crap he was defending well. He would not have let DeVries past for the goal.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Was it every in doubt?

Pass that bit of silverware over please after you've given it a little dusting. :D

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well in lads :thumbsup:

Always nice to see the Gers pick up some silverware, Enjoy yourselves. :)
Cheers mate, we will. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I do feel sorry for Eddie Thompson and hope he has better luck on the most important front- his health. Levein also didn't deserve to be manager of the losing side today as tactically he outfoxed the old fox and only a mistake that as a manager you cannot legislate for denied him a cup win.

Sentimentality out the way I'd like to say a big GIRIUY to Noel Chunt and Willo Fud. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts