Xtratime Community banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chievo boss Luigi Del Neri was furious with the referee for awarding Juventus two contentious penalties as his side lost more ground in the title race.

"I am really angry," said Del Neri after the 3-1 defeat at the Bentegodi stadium.

"The first decision was simply ridiculous. I saw it very clearly, but I don't want to say too much on the matter. For the second one, our player may have touched the ball with his hand, but that was only after Pavel Nedved gave him a shove.

"I believe that a penalty should only be awarded if there is a clear infringement. That was not the case in either instance," insisted the Chievo coach.

Alessandro del Piero earned Juventus their first penalty shortly after half-time when he was adjudged to have been fouled by Chievo goalkeeper Christiano Lupatelli, but the Italy forward saw his tame shot comfortably saved.

Del Piero admitted he was embarrassed that the referee had given a penalty in the first place. "It was never a foul," he said. "Did I miss the penalty on purpose? That would be a convenient excuse, but the truth is that I just didn't hit it properly."

The defeat leaves Chievo ten points behind leaders Roma with a game in hand, but Del Neri claimed that his players had not let their standards drop.

"I told them after the game that I thought they had done really well," he explained. "We're not in a crisis, we're just lacking a bit of luck.

"I think that, despite the penalty decisions, Juventus deserved to win," he admitted. "But we shouldn't lose track of where we are. This time last year we were battling to get out of Serie B – the situation is quite different now."

Juventus are now in third place, just three points off the top, after completing a double over the Verona side.

Their first win over Chievo came courtesy of another controversial last-minute penalty, but coach Marcello Lippi was keen to deflect attention away from the officials.

"When we won 3-2 at the Stadio Delle Alpi earlier in the season, everyone was talking about the penalty that we got in the last minute, but nobody mentioned that David Trezeguet had a perfectly good goal disallowed before that," he declared.

"Referees make mistakes, but we have to accept their decisions. We are playing with more confidence now and that is encouraging. It's been an up and down campaign for us so far, but I think we're finding our consistency," added the Juventus boss.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Tres opciones a elegir: escandalosa, un robo, fraudulenta. Cualquiera de las opciones que elija califica a la perfección la victoria de Juventus ante Chievo Verona. Delito reiterativo. Ejemplos gráficos: Patadas escandalosas de Trezeguet, Iuliano, Davids y Del Piero y ni una amarilla. Patadón de Nedved. Sólo amarilla. Dos penales inventados para Juve (uno atajado). Juventus no podrá encontrar tantos arbitrajes impúdicos como éste.

http://ar.clarin.com/diario/hoy/d-01601.htm

Translation

Three options to choose: scandalous, a robbery, fraudulent. Any of these options that you choose, perfectly describes the victory of Juventus against Chievo Verona. Repetitive crime. Graphical examples: Scandalous kicks of Trezeguet, Iuliano, Davids and Del the Piero and not a single yellow. Huge kick of Nedved. Only yellow. Two penalties invented for Juve (one saved). Juventus will not be able to find so many dishonest refeerings as these ones.

Even the international newspapers are commenting on Juve's dodgy and dubious win over Chievo yesterday. :eek:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Now you know why people call Juventus, a great team, and I love them.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
This is from Dailysoccer:

"Chievo title challenge grounded by stern 'old lady'
VERONA, Italy, Jan 27 (AFP)
Chievo's brave challenge for the Italian first division title is all but over Sunday after a 3-1 defeat at the hands of Juventus at the Stadio Marc'Antonio Bentegodi.
The top flight debutants have delighted Italy and made headlines around the world with the form that took them to the top of Serie A for six weeks before Christmas but Sunday's defeat leaves them 10 points behind leaders AS Roma although they do have a game in hand over most of their rivals.
Juve could even afford to miss a penalty as they posted their fifth consecutive and this time fully deserved their win unlike their 3-2 success when the clubs met in Turin earlier this season in a match decided by dubious refereeing.
This time, while the refereeing was not perfect, the Turin club whose century-long run of success has earned them the nickname of the 'vecchia signora' (old lady) in Italy put the young upstarts in their place with what amounted to a public spanking.
Juve took the lead after 17 minutes when their French striker David Trezeguet headed Alessandro Del Piero's corner across goal. Chievo goalkeeper Cristiano Lupatelli got his hand to it but Juve's veteran defender Ciro Ferrara reacted quickest to head the ball home.
That stirred Chievo and then their Brazilian winger Eriberto had a fine volley brilliantly saved by Gianluigi Buffon and then the same player played a fine one-two with Massimo Marazzina only to fire his shot wide.
But just two minutes after the interval disaster struck for Chievo when their defender Fabio Moro turned an Alessandro Del Piero cross past Lupatelli for an own goal.
Almost immediately referee Massimo De Sanctis awarded a controversial penalty to Juve when Lupatelli made what looked a fair challenge on Czech Pavel Nedved but Del Piero's weak shot was saved by Lupatelli.
And just three minutes later Chievo got back in the match when Marazzina pounced for his 10th goal of the campaign.
But hopes of a memorable comeback from the team nicknamed 'the Flying Donkeys' petered out when Del Piero was given another chance from the spot when De Sanctis adjudged a Moro handball to be deliberate in an another contested decision and this time Del Piero made no mistake.
Chievo remain fourth and play their game in hand at home to Lazio on Wednesday but given their limited resources it is a big ask to expect them to close on leaders AS Roma, Inter Milan and Juve who now look to be the only realistic candidates for the title."

Now, we all agree that the first penalty was unfair, but the second one was a clear one.
On the game, Juve (line Dailysoccer says) deserve the victory.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.