Xtratime Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chiesa set for Viola departure Wednesday 17 April, 2002

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Enrico Chiesa is set to hold showdown talks with Fiorentina in a bid to sort out his future.

The Italian has missed almost all of the season through injury but is expected to be sold by the Viola after they were relegated to Serie B.

"For the minute I’ve returned to training with the football and this is a major positive. As for the future I really don’t know what is in store. I need to meet with the club in the next few days and they will decide what to do with me," he said.

"I just want to get back to action and I can’t wait to start pre-season training with a club in July. The only problem is I don’t know what side that will be with." Milan, Juventus and Lazio are all said to be interested in the £12m rated player.

The Tuscan outfit have had a nightmare season in which financial difficulties saw the squad depleted of their best players as the likes of Manuel Rui Costa, Francesco Toldo and Tomas Repka were all sold to raise funds.

"Mistakes have been made and we’ve paid the consequences. We may have only just recently been mathematically relegated but it has been in the air for some time. It was obvious that it would end as it has," continued Chiesa.

"The club needs to start from scratch. A plan needs to be drawn up and the club and the players will now have to work in a serious and professional manner to reach certain objectives and get back into Serie A."

The knee injury Chiesa sustained in late September not only saw him ruled out of the championship but also out of the World Cup Finals. Nevertheless, the former Parma man is looking forward to the tournament.

"You will see a great Italy at the World Cup. It’s true that Coach Giovanni Trapattoni has not been very lucky recently with the number of injuries," he added.

"But Trap will have enough time between the end of the championship and the start of the World Cup to recuperate player form. We can fight against the very best."

channel4

1 - 2 of 2 Posts