Xtratime Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chiesa close to Viola exit Friday 10 May, 2002

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Enrico Chiesa is unlikely to remain at relegated Fiorentina next season according to his agent.

"Enrico wants to stay in Florence but it seems very doubtful that the club will be able to keep hold of him," said Vincenzo Rispoli.

The Tuscan outfit did admit earlier this week that they had wanted to keep Chiesa for the Serie B campaign, but the debt-ridden club’s financial situation is likely to see him sold.

The former Parma striker has been linked with Milan, Juventus and Lazio. With the latter seemingly favourites to sign him according to Rispoli.

"Lazio do want him and Chiesa would be very happy to team up again with Roberto Mancini who will be their Coach," the agent added.

Chiesa has missed most of this season with injury after he damaged knee ligaments last September. But Rispoli has confirmed that fitness wise there is nothing to worry about.

"He’s in great condition and is ahead of schedule for his rehabilitation programme. He’s getting better all of the time," he concluded.

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Chiesa and Fascetti in Viola future Sunday 12 May, 2002

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Eugenio Fascetti will almost certainly be Fiorentina’s next Coach, but Enrico Chiesa’s future remains in doubt.

Former Bari boss Fascetti is currently unemployed after Serie B side Vicenza fired him. The native Tuscan is tipped to replace Luciano Chiarugi on the Viola bench and all but confirmed the news himself.

“Certain clubs give you a real push,” he told local television station Rete 37. “I’d come to Florence without even thinking about it and am even willing to gamble away a chunk of my pay cheque.”

Relegation into Serie B has been the least of Fiorentina’s problems this year as the financial crisis has been dubbed “irreversible” by court appointed accountants.

The fans continue to escalate their protests against patron Vittorio Cecchi Gori as this month several thousand Tifosi marched through the city.

“I am not afraid of the tensions surrounding the club,” assured the tactician. “In fact, I prefer to be shouted at rather than to walk out into an empty stadium.”

The financial crisis could again force many of their star players to be sold off, but Fascetti notes that he would like to keep Enrico Chiesa.

“Players like Chiesa and Roberto Baggio, the kind who can make a difference, are few and far between. The clubs that have them in their ranks are truly blessed. If I was able to keep Chiesa then I certainly would say yes.”

The player himself has admitted his desire to stay with the Viola, even if that means playing in the second division.

“I thank Fascetti for the faith he has in me,” commented Chiesa this afternoon at a charity match. “I assure him that this respect is mutual. But at the moment my only thoughts are returning to the playing field after such a long injury lay-off. My future will be sorted out by my agents and the Fiorentina directors.”

This week Chiesa’s agent had confirmed interest from Lazio, where Chiesa would be able to join former Viola Coach Roberto Mancini.

“I am happy in Florence,” assured the ex-Sampdoria hitman, “and in any case it is heartening to know that such a big club as Lazio would want me. Everyone knows how important Mancini is to me and I wish him the very best.”

channel4

·
Star Player
2,744 Posts
I don't know what you'd think of Fascetti, but he did a pretty good job keeping Bari in Serie A for four seasons and raised a lot of good young players. He's also got a good record of bringing clubs back up after relegation, which might be a positive sign for the Viola were it not for their dire financial situation.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts