Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i wanted to open up an appreciation thread for our top defender this year...i don't think we realize how close we were to losing him this summer, esentially our best (top 3) player this year was almos forced out of the club by secco...a

http://www.channel4.com/sport/football_italia/mar9h.html

i do believe that this story is a bit of bs, BUT if we sell chiellini (CL or not) i don't see anyway that us fans can justify cheering for the team under the current management...

·
Registered
324 Posts
He is much better as a left back, and can do very good as a center defender. Very good player, as long as he keeps focusing on his game, instead of fighting with others in the penalty box, he has a lot to offer to the club!

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bollocks!
seriously...i'm not sure if some people even watch games...before his injury chiellini was one of if not arguably the best centre back in seria a this season...

·
Proud Juventino.
20,505 Posts
Chiellini has a wooden foot and is shit in going forward, CB suits him great.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wooden foot has been put into a whole new perspective by molinaro...chiellini isn't bad going forward (ie. see all of his performances for italy u-21 and nt proper)...BUT he is much better in the middle...

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Disagree strongly! He might be a clumsy dribbler, but it is really hard to take the ball off of him, he crosses well and he has a super shot. All that said, CB is his position.

·
Proud Juventino.
20,505 Posts
Chiellini is only useful in going front just in corners and last min attacks involving headers, other then that his technique is awful.

Superb CB though.`

·
Registered
324 Posts
Admittedly your much detailed hindsight on why Chiellini is a 'much better LB' deserved better.
Simply because that wasn't an argument but an opinion.. As for the reason, because Chiellini is a good dribbler, he can hold the ball well, strong and fast enough to take the ball forward, which describes the required skills to be a wing back. He is also a good passer, reads the game maybe he isn't as good as Zambrotta when it comes to crosses, but he is much better comparing to Molinaro. This squad needs a dribbler and a creativity, and Chiellini can help that as a winger. As for him being a center defender, he is good, but we never seen him against the likes of Barcelona, Manchester or other fast teams. Sure he did good against Inter, but he escaped the red card luckily, and could cause us penalties. He is a hard tackler, and that is not really a good thing when he is inside of the box!

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
Surely Secco wouldn't be stupid enough to sell him to Man City. He is the only defender we have at the club who is worthy of a starting position in the future. Legro is off and on, who knows about the injury prone Andrade, Zebina and Birindelli are not good enough, Molinaro is getting worse each game, Grygera managed to play his first good game for the club and that was in a position he rarely plays...we have Mellberg joining and i seriously dont see him being a world beater, Stendardo if he remains at the club isnt any good either....only Chiellini is showing his true worth and stepping up to the plate.

With his height and strength, Chiellini is better suited as a CB. If Grygera continues to perform as well as he did at LB against Genoa, then we can get De Ceglie back from loan and I think we'll be okay in that position.

·
Administrator
52,968 Posts
Man Kupy funny stuff :D

LB he has been an eternally promising player but mostly average to decent at most. Quite clumsy and uncomfortable offensively, his main plus being his physical attributes who are great. But hardly impressed as LB. While as CB its like a totally different player, superb and great CB this season to say the least, flawless tackling throughout.

Upgraded in esteem for sure, to the point I would think he will soon be a starting CB for the NT. Only defender in the squad who has his starting spot locked for next season.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
He is much better as a left back,
Sorry, snoop, but you're wrong here. Chiellini is far and away better at centerback, not only because he's more suited to play there but also because he's had better performances in the center than out left. There really is no discussion here... Chiellini is a centerback.

·
Registered
121 Posts
He plays to a very high standard at LB but there's no denying that he plays better as a CB. Unfortunately he's had some injury problems this season but when he has played in the centre of defence he's been a rock.

His demolition of Zlatan is something I'll never forget. :D

·
Registered
324 Posts
Man Kupy funny stuff :D

LB he has been an eternally promising player but mostly average to decent at most. Quite clumsy and uncomfortable offensively, his main plus being his physical attributes who are great. But hardly impressed as LB. While as CB its like a totally different player, superb and great CB this season to say the least, flawless tackling throughout.
How many games did we see him play as a left back? not much, we had Balzaretti there who did the job good, Didier didn't want him to use there (I know he did at the start of the season) when he had Balza, but we didn't have much options at center, just like it is the case this year. Left back job is not as easy you think, it requires double amount of work of CD's, because they will have to defend and attack too, I love Chiellini's dribbling, his speed, his crosses are much better than Molinaro's, his passes re accurate, he can keep the ball, aren't this good enough to become a great Left-back? He is not one yet, but chances are high to become one. Not to forget he can tackle and steal balls, but the thing is he is a hard tackler, and that doesn't give us the safety when he is inside of the box. Serie A's quality is down to the toilet, he is no Scirea or Baresi to own the attackers with his clinical tackles or offside traps, he is the type of guys that would bring the player down and stop the game when it is necessary, while you need Cannavaro type of defenders to have the patience and made the right tackle in the right time to win the ball. He doesn't do that, he kicks opponents feet, pull their shirts, push them down. You will guys will know what I mean when we start playing bigger matches, against more offensive teams, and CL will be a big test for him to show if he is really a great center defender.

Sorry, snoop, but you're wrong here. Chiellini is far and away better at centerback, not only because he's more suited to play there but also because he's had better performances in the center than out left. There really is no discussion here... Chiellini is a centerback.
Andy I am not talking about the performance, yes maybe he performed well, but if you check his mistakes in the box, how he could escape from foul or penalty calls by luck, you will agree with me. He is the best option out there in our squad, that's why you all prefer him over other average defenders, but when you put him on the flank next to great center defenders, you will see how useful he will be.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts