Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friday 25 March, 2005

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Giorgio Chiellini says he wouldn’t be preparing to face Scotland on Saturday had he remained at Juventus.

The young defender joined Fiorentina on loan in August and has been rewarded for his outstanding season with promotion from the Under-21 set-up.

"If I had stayed at Juventus then I wouldn’t be here today," he said from the Azzurri training base. "I doubt that I would have been selected if I was still in Turin."

Chiellini is likely to start the World Cup qualifier given that Gianluca Zambrotta, who is ironically Juve’s first-choice left-back, is suspended.

"I never expected to have such a positive season," he added. "I know that I have worked hard and that will be proved if I play against Scotland tomorrow."

Chiellini could return to Turin in the summer, but his teammate Enzo Maresca insists he doesn’t want a Delle Alpi reunion.

The midfielder is also on loan in Florence from the Old Lady, but he seems to have had enough of the Italian giants.

"I want to stay a Viola," said the 25-year-old who has been shipped out on loan to numerous clubs in the past.

"Juventus? I hope they don’t win anything this season. That remark is aimed at the club and not the players."

Maresca will soon get a chance to prove a point when Juve travel to Florence after the international break.

channel4

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Forza Maresca, although with that statement he will never ever ever ever be called while Lippi is in charge :D

·
Registered
287 Posts
How do you guys rate Chiellini?
What is his strong points and weak points?...
Any info of this guy would be appreciated...
I heard good things but have not the opportunities to see him play...

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
From what I have seen he tackles pretty well, is long enough to win head balls and is attacking with pretty good shot.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
He is also as close as it gets for a human to be a train. He is fast and powerful. Not so skillful but even with bad touches, his speed and strength can get him away.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Chiellini's headers and stamina are impressive, but he has to improve his crosses and shots which are good, but not as good as Zambrotta's and Parisi's (the best italian leftbacks imo).

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Chiellini certainly impressed with the Azzurri against Scotland today. If he keeps playing like he is, and if Moggi sells Zambrotta, Chiellini might just make a return to Juve sooner than expected.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Great player and he is totally correct - at fiorentina he is getting into a starting XI, with International quality players in a great league. he would be mad to leave this set-up for ANY big club at the moment, where he is still i suppose "teething" his way into the NT. he sees we will be in Europe in a couple of seasons and so will he be if he sticks with us. can juve pull any money stunts for him though? isnt it a blind bid?

·
Registered
17,583 Posts
We don't have to pull any more money stunts to get him back, we already paid a wopping 6 million for him from Livorno, and no doubt have already stipulated in his loan contract a fixed price to buy back his half-share from Fiorentina.

·
6,645 Posts
I don't care too much about Chiellini. He's definitley going to return to Juventus next season and I see no point in caring that much about him.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Nero said:
We don't have to pull any more money stunts to get him back, we already paid a wopping 6 million for him from Livorno, and no doubt have already stipulated in his loan contract a fixed price to buy back his half-share from Fiorentina.
half contract, meaning we own half of him too. you have to put in a blind bid if we challenge his contract.

Jonas said:
dont care too much
In a period where we have no defenders, you are proposing we let go one that is in form and playing for the NT? not only that, he's young and has a big bright future ahead of him? pffft, keep him and pay the big bucks. He'll repay this ten fold when he's still around in 10 years commanding our defence.

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
Of course it's Fiorentina who got him the call up,If he was at Juventus he would've been called up for the Coppa Italia. :)

·
Registered
396 Posts
Jah said:
half contract, meaning we own half of him too. you have to put in a blind bid if we challenge his contract.
I don't think this is accurate. Isn't he a juve owned player, and don't they (not us) have the rights to buy his contract?
of course he is talented enough to keep around, but we may not have the cash to keep him.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
How I have understood this:

We own 50% of him and so does Juve. At the end of this season both of us will have to bid for the remaining of his contract. Highest bidder will get him.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Yes. Unless the two teams can come to an agreement before hand. But i dont think the agreement would work quite well. Because if one team was like we will pay you 5 mil for him the other team has a rough idea of what you think he is worth. But then saying that you could bluff them and be like we will give you 2 mil and then 'bid' more.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
nikofv said:
How I have understood this:

We own 50% of him and so does Juve. At the end of this season both of us will have to bid for the remaining of his contract. Highest bidder will get him.
DannyD said:
Exactly right guys -

When the period, which has been stipulated in his contract, of him playing for either side (in this case Fiorentina) comes to an end, teams negotiate for him. Say if Juventus does not want him, Fiorentina can come straight out with a bid and we can have him in a direct, quick and easy form. This, however, rarely happens as both teams obviously have an interest in the player.

So as a result of both teams wanting to buy out his contract, the 2 clubs submit a "blind" bid to the FA unaware of the others bid. So its a game of cat and mouse, do you offer the world thinking the other team will match that or do you offer a more economical amount hoping the other team has done the same and you win out. I see Juve offering a substantial amount, but nothing too high.

Neither team in this situation has the upper hand (well you could say Fiorentina as he has come to know his team mates/the city and obviously prefers this situation that has taken him thus far). The fact he's playing for us was because we came to an agreement with Juve. Thus he's anyones player who wants him.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Also as far as i know if both of the teams bid the same amount for the player, the team who the player currently plays for wins the 'bid'.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Dannyd said:
Also as far as i know if both of the teams bid the same amount for the player, the team who the player currently plays for wins the 'bid'.
that too -
chances of that happening though?

I think we should gather some serious cash for this kid, he's someone with a future...not to mention our defence is in tatters atm

1 - 20 of 32 Posts