Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chelsea pay Umbro £24M to clear way for record shirt deal
tribalfootball.com - January 20, 2005

Chelsea have paid out £24 million to end their shirt sponsorship deal with Umbro.

The Evening Standard says Umbro released a statement to the Stock Exchange this morning saying the deal had been terminated by "mutual agreement".

Stamford Bridge chief executive Peter Kenyon is in the process of securing a lucrative new sponsorship deal to fit the club's higher global profile.

Adidas are believed to be the sportswear giants set to seal an agreement with Chelsea which will be one of the biggest shirt contracts in world football.

Manchester United currently have comfortably the biggest kit deal in British football. Kenyon, then at United, agreed a £300m 15-year contract with Nike in 2000 after also dispensing with the services of Umbro.
www.tribalfootball.com

------------------------------
we are aparently changing sponsors. wonder what the new adidas kits will look like.

·
Registered
11,208 Posts
Adidas is a thousand times better than Nike. Nike are totally lost when it comes to jersey design. Chelsea were going with Adidas always and not Nike. Good choice of jersey sponsor.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Haroon said:
Adidas is a thousand times better than Nike. Nike are totally lost when it comes to jersey design. Chelsea were going with Adidas always and not Nike. Good choice of jersey sponsor.
I like Adidas, but don't put Nike down like that. I like some of the sets they have made this year. Portugal, Holland, Brazil, Arsenal, Man Utd just to name some. I just never liked Umbro, so either way I'm happy.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ive never actually heard of a team paying out the sponsorship deal to get another sponsor though. i like the arsenal nike kit though.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Only bad thing about Adidas is that they're German :(. :)

Adidas need a big club in the EPL (they only have Newcastle) we'd be well suited to them.

·
Registered
11,208 Posts
O Glorioso said:
I like Adidas, but don't put Nike down like that. I like some of the sets they have made this year. Portugal, Holland, Brazil, Arsenal, Man Utd just to name some. I just never liked Umbro, so either way I'm happy.
Nike's best work IMO was for Euro 2000. The Portugal jersey was the best back then. They've gone down like anything since then. The Utd. and Juve design for Nike is not good at all IMO.

Nike's best work is for Brasil and that is due to the green tint actually going with the yellow due to Brasil's national flag.

Adidas really makes top notch jerseys. They are comfortable as well while playing. Clima-cool technology is really good.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Nike makes more interesting jersey designs, but they use the same ones for all the teams which is not so good. Adidas also does this for the most part, but has more variety but lacks quality and imaginative design.

Would have been nice to see Umbro stay on since its an English brands, but that would not follow the football line I guess.

I prefer the Adidas training, outerwear, tracksuits, t-shirts etc.. over Nike by a lot. Nike's stuff of this type is mostly very boring while Adidas has lots of cool products.

·
Registered
11,208 Posts
Adidas jerseys are more durable than the delicate Nike ones. Adidas' only weak jersey was the one of last season I think which tore off easily due to its two layer design. Adidas rectified that. Otherwise they make the best ones including name and number design.

For the record even here I have seen Utd. and Arsenal fans complain about their jersey designs but none of the Adidas ones have been disappointed by the new jersey design.

For tracksuits and other suits ... PUMA is the most fashionable and slick sportswear designer by a long shot. They are untouchable right now.

Anyways ... with Chelsea joining, Adidas now has hold of the power base in World Football with Milan, Real, Bayern, Ajax and now Chelsea. They've got a top club from each of the countries.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
I actually prefer Kappa the most for all football clothing, but they are just like Umbro in terms of size and money muscle now. Puma is good too, yes.

·
Registered
535 Posts
with Abramovich, they do not need any one as a sponsor :D. but of course it will be better for team to get another sponsor like Adidas...

·
Registered
580 Posts
i liked the Chelsea kits, and indeed all Umbro kits. They have a certain "blockiness" that you cannot find on any other kit. maybe i'm dellusional

·
Sheperdesque
21,256 Posts
i like out current KITS and would have prefered if things didn't change...

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
New kit deal sparks Chelsea-Beckham talk
tribalfootball.com - January 21, 2005

Real Madrid midfielder David Beckham is being linked with a summer move to Chelsea.

The Daily Express says Beckham is part of a long-term merchandising strategy at Chelsea following yesterday's announcement that they were ending their deal with kit manufacturer Umbro.

Adidas are expected to replace Umbro as Chelsea's new sponsors and with Beckham part of their stable of stars, the German sportswear giants would be keen to see the England skipper boost the relationship by joining the London club next season.

Real Madrid are also sponsored by Adidas, which would assist any negotiations between the two clubs and Beckham's advisors.

www.tribalfootball.com
------------------------------
along with the change of sponsors its seems that the players sponsored by them come as well :D
i wouldnt wante beckham to come, would rather get joaquin.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i actually like the arsenal nike kits, they look much better than the other nike ones.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
khimik said:

That is terrible. Just terrible.
as soon as i said that i found these new arsenal kits.... awfull.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts