·
Nasty Woman
22,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Third Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
12,813 Posts
That obviously took some time to do.

There is still alot of radioactivity around the area and I dont think it'll be on my holiday destination list any time soon!

·
Registered
6,804 Posts
I was in Romania when it happened….(not far from Ukraine) and it was a horrible time for all of us…We were told not to go to the beach that year because the radioactive substances had been detected in the Black Sea……People were scared, at school they made us take vsome medication to improve immunity to radiation (I still don't know what it was but it tasted like crap)….It was one of the worst summers of my life...

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I was in Gomel in Belarus two years ago, a pretty badly hit town by the radioactive cloud. Its still prohibited to eat anything from the nature like mushroms, berrys or fruit around the city area.

Marius said:
I at school they made us take vsome medication to improve immunity to radiation (I still don't know what it was but it tasted like crap)….
Most probably it was iodide.

Potassium iodide provides enough safe iodine to completely fill the thyroid's binding sites, blocking any radioactive iodine from binding there. There is no other way to so quickly and completely protect the thyroid gland, which is one of the organs most commonly damaged by radioactive fallout.

·
Registered
33,807 Posts
If I remember correctly, there was even a fear that the milk might be unsafe to drink, with the thinking beeing that the dairy cows might have eaten contaminated grass and then passed the contaminants on to the milk.

·
Third Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
12,813 Posts
Marius said:
I was in Romania when it happened….(not far from Ukraine) and it was a horrible time for all of us…We were told not to go to the beach that year because the radioactive substances had been detected in the Black Sea……People were scared, at school they made us take vsome medication to improve immunity to radiation (I still don't know what it was but it tasted like crap)….It was one of the worst summers of my life...
It was probably some sort of Iodine.
May have been a natural kelp extract, as that has a lot of iodine in it, makes you pee like hell but keeps you free from free radicals :)

Tastes awful !
I know I take 2 daily :D

·
First Place winner, June 2010 Photo Contest
38,110 Posts
Tim said:
If I remember correctly, there was even a fear that the milk might be unsafe to drink, with the thinking beeing that the dairy cows might have eaten contaminated grass and then passed the contaminants on to the milk.
I remember that too. But the cloud had pretty much evaporated by the time it reached Holland. Still there was some fallout in the east of the country, leading to concerns about contaminated milk and causing people to take the iodine tablets. There was also some worry about a shipment of radioactive lettuce from Poland that had come on the market and made it's way to local convenience stores. But the level of radioactivity was so low that it wasn't considered a health risk.

·
Registered
33,807 Posts
adriaan said:
I remember not being allowed to play in the sand-box when the news came out.

ADRIAAN
_______
Yeah, playgrouds and sandboxes had to get new, "clean" sand.

·
Registered
6,804 Posts
Boyo said:
I remember that too. But the cloud had pretty much evaporated by the time it reached Holland. Still there was some fallout in the east of the country, leading to concerns about contaminated milk and causing people to take the iodine tablets. There was also some worry about a shipment of radioactive lettuce from Poland that had come on the market and made it's way to local convenience stores. But the level of radioactivity was so low that it wasn't considered a health risk.
Much of the concern in Western Europe was pointless and in vain! I guess it was some sort of propaganda towards the communist Russian government at that time. The truth is the radiation cloud only affected people in neighbouring countries as well as countries with access to the Black Sea…

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
The Soviet's Iron Curtain was what made the disaster, really.

Ukraine was isolated from the world so they had a big possibility of making a massive human error. On top of that, the incident was kept from the West for 12 days!

Throw on top of that the fact that the firefighters had no preparation for a nuclear meltdown and you have yourself 30 or so instant deaths.

The worst part is that the incident may not be other. Sure, the possibility of another meltdown is impossible due to the shutting down of the plant. However, earthquakes are predicted once every century. The sarcophagus is frail and it's a possibility that a tremor would trigger off more radioactive dust and thusly throw more nuclear fallout across the Ukraine.

It's a huge price to pay for human error.

·
Registered
55,929 Posts
according to the french gouvernment the cloud of radioactive stoped at the french border. maybe he didn't have his identity papers:D

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
mali said:
according to the french gouvernment the cloud of radioactive stoped at the french border.
That's how they knew it didn't originate in Germany.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
mali said:
dyertribe,
i think you read to much about german panzers, you are a little obsessed.
Maybe so, but at least I can recognise facetiousness when I see it. Es ist gut!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts