Xtratime Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you think will happen this weekend?

I'd go for a 2-1 win, Chelsea havve to win to stand a chance of Qualifying for the Champions League, and will be really up for it, I'd be happy with the draw which gives us at least a UEFA cup spot, but I think we can steal this one with a 2-1 win.

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
I don't think the fact it's away will affect us as it is a good pitch. It also depends on who plays for Chelsea. I think Didi and Gerrad are better than Wise and Deschamps and H&H should be able to cope with all their attack possibilities. Saying this I have a certain amount of dread for this game and would be suprised if we won. the reason is that we didn't win the derby and as I stated then I'll believe we were back only if we had won.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I'm looking forward to the days of Everton 0 Liverpool 5 too. Do we have a mosutache striker nowadays (Owen seems to be growing one every other week)!

As for Chelsea v Liverpool, my guess is that Liverpool will pip it 2-1. People keep saying Liverpool's record at SB is no good but it wasn't long ago that we won 2-0 (Fowler, Wright) there, in 1996/97 I think.

------------------
Lestor Wong
http://lfc-net.com

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Isn't it good going into games like this thinking we will win, where as 3 years ago I'd have expected Liverpool to lose to Chelsea, but we have a much better mentality running through the team now.

S

·
0 Posts
Only problem is that Chelsea will be psyched up after their loss to Man utd and Vialli's comments about the team recently in the press.

But i think a draw would be ok, cause we've got 3 easier matches ahead (Leicester, Southampton + Bradford) and it seems unlikely Leeds will overtake either us or Arsenal. ;)

X

·
0 Posts
chelsea's morale seems to be dead low!!
so good for us!! :D

but henchoz is doubtful as well as heggem!

desailly will probably be back on the other hand...petrescu injured

anyway we would end either with 1 or 3points!

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
I'd like to be that confident. I am dreading this more than any match in the season. It is make or break time, a win is all we need. If we lose third place may not be safe a draw will mean it is but second looks very unlikely.

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Here it comes the big stage by stage analysis. Chelsea are coming up and they have been playing very..........well crap basically so how will we fair against them:

Goalkeepers.

The Dutch men who want to de-throne Van der Saar come head to head and who will come out on top? De Goey is tall and can get to many balls which seem past him, on the other hand he is prone to lapses and his por kicking game was highlighted by Man U. He also looks like a ferret.....well he does.
Sander is getting paid for nothing at the moment. Maybe this is the reason for the lapse versus Everton. He has produc4ed some fine saves but also missed some crosses.
At the end of the day we will see why Sander should be number two of Holland:

Pool: 8 Chelsea: 7

Defence.

This should be an intruiging battle with the pace of Owen and Heskey against the experience of the frenchmen. After the Barce shocker it seems that this defence has lost all respectability. Looking shaky at crosses, a bit strange for an English (debatable) side. They will not have to deal with the likes today and the pools play may play in to their arms. Ferrer has been their player of the season in my view and will give a solid and reliable performance but lets hope that Babayaro can be tested on the left (if he plays). Not good defensively will mean that Thomo and Smicer should attack him (with a knife.....nah).
The fortress that is the pools back 4 is now put in to question. Only once conceding 3 goals or more (versus the scum Man U) it seems that our weekness is now our strength (irony has a wicked sense of humour). Henchoz may be missing which may mean a recall for either Heggem (if fit) or Song. Carragher has proved that he can defend this year but I would prefer Henchoz there. Hyypia should be able to marshell it well though. Matteo has beeen superb this year and lets hope his form continues. He has chipped in with numerous asissts but is also solid in defence.
I feel that this is more even than it should be and assuming Song will play and Henchoz will no:
Pool: 8 1/2 Chelsea 8

Midfield.

This, in my view has been a dissapointing area for Chelsea. Only Wise and Poyet have excelled and the likes of Deschamps and Di Matteo have not been a factor this year. Morris and Ambrosetti have done well but do not cause too much of a threat.
Liverpool have a very sound midfield which will welcome back both Redders and Smicer today. Berger has been on fantastic form and Didi and Gerrad look better each and every game. Hopefully this will be said for many years to come.
In my view there is no question:

Pool 10 Chelsea 8 (a bit high as Poyet is so damned good)

Attack

Another problem of Chelsea but the return of Weah spells bad news for the pool. Him and Zola or Flo up front should test our defence and this is why i am nervous. Flo will look to get at Matteo by moving out wide and this will be the game that we see if Dom has improved as much as we think he has.
Owen and Heskey (or Fowler or Camara) are great line ups. Owen and Heskey compliment each other so well and thus far it has worked as a dream. when will the sticky patch come though (I fell there will be one). Is this the match or will it be a long long time in the future (maybe World Cup 2002). I think they will be flying as they push for places in the England squad. Expect Fowler to come on for 20 minutes and look to impress Keegan who may attend the game.

Pool 10 Chelsea 9

Management

Houllier has made one mistake this season that sticks out for me in this match which was the Man u game. Apart from that he has been right in the majority of his decsions. I do not see today being any different.
Vialli is a bit hit and miss. Hit = 2-1 versus Barce, miss = 1-5 versus Barce, hit = 5-0 versus Man U, miss = 0-1 versus Watford. It depends on the day really but I see him wanting to end this miserable run.

Houllier 10 Vialli 8

I honestly do not think that Chelsea will have an advantage with the home pitch as it suits our game. the supporters will be pretty down so lets hope this is the same in the crowd. Only a bonus point of 1.

Conclusion:
Liverpool 46 1/2
Chelsea 41

I feel that this may not matter and feel that the rattings for each category may be fluctuated on the day due to the pride they have. If Thome plays then I think this will be bad for us as he is very under-rated (especially by Vialli it seems). Melchiott may play and he looks promissing but I feel the pool will try and play it throuh the middle. Another Berger special may be on the way and we will see if experience or youth wins the battle.

After writing this I have become more confident with our chances. I did say Chelsea 2-1, I revise that to a 1-1. Still not good enough though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts