Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You know you secretly love them - songs that your parents, uncles, aunts etc play at family parties and then proceed to embarrass you by dancing to them half-drunk and reeking of onions and meat; songs you loved when you were a bespectacled and gawky teen; songs from the disco era - complete with big hair, snazzy shiny unbuttoned tops and those oh-so-snug bell bottoms :eek:; songs from boybands; entries from the Village People; songs that, upon mention, would instantly inspire people to roll their heads as far back into their sockets as possible, etc.

What are yours? ;)

I use the word "cheesy" broadly and in a tongue-in-cheek way, some of these songs are just old, not necessarily bad. C'mon people, fess up. :cool:

Mine are:

1) Don't You Want Me by Human League :star:
2) Love In The First Degree by Bananarama
3) Can't Smile Without You by Barry Manilow
4) Kungfu Fighting by Carl Douglas
5) Staying Alive by Bee Gees
6) Wake Me Up Before You Go Go by Wham!
7) Wild Wild West by Escape Club
8) Material Girl by Madonna (Madonna at her best, complete with Minnie Mouse screech, and before she started coming up with those rubbish electronica sounds)
9) You Can't Hurry Love by Phil Collins
10) It Must Have Been Love by Roxette
11) Eye Of The Tiger by Survivor
12) Black Cat by Janet Jackson
13) Heartbreaker by Mariah Carey & Jay Z
14) Turn Back The Time by Johnny Hates Jazz
15) Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now by Starship

If you wish to be oh-so-kewl-I-only-listen-to-death-metal/heavy-metal/black-metal/pots-and-pans, please kindly proceed to the "Heavy Metal thread". :D:tongue:

·
Registered
23,142 Posts
please, don't laught at me....after this post :eek:

i have to admit that when i was 14 years until 16/17...i liked these song...and sometimes i like to hear these song again:rolleyes:

- Heartbeat by Steps:rolleyes:
- all song by boyzone :D
- Cest'la Vie by B*Witched
- MMMbob by Hanson :howler:
- i will come to you by Hanson :D
- Sait Once by Ultra
- Viva Forever by Spice Girls :eek:
- Love Like a River by Climie Fisher
- all songs by Abba :D
...and surelly i forgot some songs:D

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Arianna said:
- MMMbob by Hanson :howler:
:howler: Don't worry Arianna, I used to think Taylor was pretty goodlooking, although the eldest brother looked like Jennifer Love Hewitt. :D

Add:

1) Man In Motion (St Elmo's Fire) by John Parr
2) Strangelove by Depeche Mode (gotta love the intro ;))
3) I Promise You I Will by Depeche Mode
4) When Wannabe by the Spice Girls was first released, me and my friends thought the "zig-a-zig-ah" gesture was so cool. :howler: Thank God I was only 13-14 at that time, too young to be jailed. :tongue:

·
Registered
23,142 Posts
Alive&Kicking said:
:howler: Don't worry Arianna, I used to think Taylor was pretty goodlooking, although the eldest brother looked like Jennifer Love Hewitt. :D
:eek: i loved Taylor :eek: :howler: i had my school diary full of his pics:eek: :D

:eek: i know that now he's married and have a son! :eek:

the eldest brother like Jennifer?:howler: yea :howler:

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Arianna said:
:eek: i loved Taylor :eek: :howler: i had my school diary full of his pics:eek: :D

:eek: i know that now he's married and have a son! :eek:

the eldest brother like Jennifer?:howler: yea :howler:
Kinda weird to imagine him having a son. :D

I loved Take That, and I thought Mark Owen had the cutest smile. :) Saw him in person in 1995-1997, close enough to see the dolphin tattoo on his hip. :proud:

Had tonnes of articles and posters of them from mags like Smash Hits, Top Of The Tops, Big, Live & Kicking, TV Hits, etc... am still in possession of all their videos (bet they're not watchable anymore though, might have gone mouldy :(), personal faves are their first concert in Wembley and Hometown - Live in Manchester G-Mex. Howard showed his arse :proud: and after that some parents complained about devil worship cos the band wore horns and such when performing Relight My Fire. :)

·
Registered
23,142 Posts
Alive&Kicking said:
Kinda weird to imagine him having a son. :D
:eek:yea

Alive&Kicking said:

I loved Take That, and I thought Mark Owen had the cutest smile. :) Saw him in person in 1995-1997, close enough to see the dolphin tattoo on his hip. :proud:
how Lucky :D ...i just saw Boyzone live...but just in contert :D

Alive&Kicking said:

Had tonnes of articles and posters of them from mags like Smash Hits, Top Of The Tops, Big, Live & Kicking, TV Hits, etc... am still in possession of all their videos (bet they're not watchable anymore though, might have gone mouldy :(), personal faves are their first concert in Wembley and Hometown - Live in Manchester G-Mex. Howard showed his arse :proud: and after that some parents complained about devil worship cos the band wore horns and such when performing Relight My Fire. :)
The same for me but the most with Boyzone:eek: and i still have all articles,books,VHS..... :eek:
i will show all to my son:rolleyes: ( if i will have one :D )
I can't throw nothing...because are part of me ...and is nice remember how "silly" i was! :tongue:

·
Fuoriclasse
13,912 Posts
Stop It Girl by The New Kids On The Block
Popscicle by The NKOTB
New Kids On The Block by The NKOTB
Didn't I Blow Your Mind? by The Delphonics
Steam by East 17
House Of Love by East 17
It's Alright by East 17
Hot In The City by Billy Idol
Kids In America by Kim Wilde
Wild Boys by Duran Duran
Maria Magdalena by Sandra
Died In Your Arms Tonight by Cutting Crew
Love & Pride by King
Temptation by Heaven 17
Highway To The Danger Zone by Kenny Loggins
Playing With The Boys by Kenny Loggins
Pump Up The Jam by Technotronic
Belfast by Boney M
Robert De Niro's Waiting by Bananarama
Maniac by Michael Sembello
You by Ten Sharp
Voyage Voyage by Desireless
Don't Go by Yazoo
Wish You Were Here by Rednex
Back For Good by Take That
Relight My Fire by Take That
+ the whole EuroDance wave that took over the world in the early 90's.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Arianna I saw Stephen Gately in person too when I watched Joseph & The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat in London (I missed the Champions League final because of that, I think I complained about that in a thread in the Padded Cell :D). He played Joseph and he was really tiny. :tongue:
Arianna said:
I can't throw nothing...because are part of me ...and is nice remember how "silly" i was! :tongue:
Same here. Wouldn't throw it away, for the exact same reason - it's a part of me, no matter how embarrassing. :D

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Biancoceleste said:
:eek: :eek: :eek:

THAT SONG IS NOT CHEESY!!!!! It's one of the best songs...EVER!!
Whey, don't jump on me. :D That's why I said:
Originally posted by Alive&Kicking
I use the word "cheesy" broadly and in a tongue-in-cheek way, some of these songs are just old, not necessarily bad.
But the beginning is kinda cheesy to me... ;). And I like I Promise You I Will more than Strangelove. :tongue:

·
Registered
23,142 Posts
Alive&Kicking said:
Arianna I saw Stephen Gately in person too when I watched Joseph & The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat in London. He played Joseph and he was really tiny. :tongue:
:D yea really tiny:D ...so cute :)
:D .....but my fave was Ronan :rolleyes: and i hated him when he started with his solo carrer:fero: :D :rolleyes:

·
Fine Gentlemen
15,599 Posts
Off-topic but:
Forza Udinese...sempre! ...anche se oggi perderemo contro il Chievo :D?

Not very enthusiastic are we? :howler:

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
Alive&Kicking said:
15) Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now by Starship
Cool topic A&K :D .

This particular song... when I was.. I don't know... 6-7 years old (can this really be? Is it 20 years old?), me and my little brother had this babysitter when my parents went out, and I used to think she was the most beautifull girl I ever saw. Consequently, when she was tape copying tracks off the radio top 20, I was just soaking up all the wisdom, and she told me "Nothings's Gonna Stop Us Now" was the best track ever. For the next year or two I had it in my head that this was obviously true, and to this day I remains very much partial to it :eek: ;). Went downhill sort of fast when I heard "We Built This City" though :eek: .

.... Jeezus... I'm going to download it and let White Stripes be White Stripes :).

Other than that...... too many to mention. I guess most of the cheesy songs I cling on to are those that have little stories attached to them like that. Usually to do with girls one way or the other I'm afraid.

Special mention to the "Grease" soundtrack. Me and a friend got tons of stick from our football mates for listening to it... but apparently they just did not know the effect the movie could have on a teen double date with a video :D .

1 - 20 of 46 Posts