Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
*the drum drum*
42,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't think I've ever felt the need to say it so loud and proud, but f*ck's sake our opponents last night deserve it.

I'm not blaming this one on lack of sleep, their fans in Sydney at least have been absolutely pure class, random people are walking up to me and hugging me congratulations, 'next time we'll get you'.

I wish you guys all the best for the future, even if you don't need it with this generation of players.

·
Registered
7,458 Posts
Totally. The fact that neither fans booed each other anthems was a huge plus for me. It was such a sporting event and could have gone either way.

For me this is sport, love it.

·
*the drum drum*
42,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I really felt for Srna more than anyone, you don't see if when you watch it live in jubilation, but when I watched the replay I just stood and watched him in shock. It was great to see Tuncay and Rustu go and console every single Croatian player like they did, I felt the same thing in me at the time and took some comfort in seeing them do that.

I think if I was a neutral, I'd have felt overwhelming sorrow for the loser in this match, such was the occasion. I don't know if it was only me, but I could basically see blood pouring out of the players' eyes.

·
Registered
16,995 Posts
croatia :thumbsup:

·
0-1, Huth.
6,070 Posts
Şeytan;6454578 said:
I really felt for Srna more than anyone, you don't see if when you watch it live in jubilation, but when I watched the replay I just stood and watched him in shock. It was great to see Tuncay and Rustu go and console every single Croatian player like they did, I felt the same thing in me at the time and took some comfort in seeing them do that.

I think if I was a neutral, I'd have felt overwhelming sorrow for the loser in this match, such was the occasion. I don't know if it was only me, but I could basically see blood pouring out of the players' eyes.
This was really nice to see.

·
Registered
23,556 Posts
It's only normal for fans to get really passionate after the game and during the game. After all is set and done, the game is over and the result is done. It was exciting and well worth the calibre of this tournament.

·
Registered
10,724 Posts
Totally agreed. It was really impressive to see/read/hear the momentary passion the seconds after the match quickly turn into respect and admiration for being a part of such a legendary match a few seconds later...

I am now officially a fan of their coach, Slaven Bilic Like most of us would have done, he had a moment of anger right after Semih scored, when he confronted the ref. But after hearing what he said, you realize that this guy is all about doing what he can to put his players in the right position. After reading this article, I will always cheer for any team he is a coach of.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/euro_2008/croatia/7371359.stm

Oh how, I'd love to see Fenerbahce lure him away from Croatia! But then again, I wouldn't want to subject him to the directors there...

·
Registered
7,458 Posts
Bilic is an educated man (plus a in a rock band!), more characters like this would be great for footie.

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
Turks love consoling people..period..
You go to a Turk and start complaining, and they will give you everythign they have...Thats what makes us great winners..But if we were to lose..man I dont eve want to think of what wouldve happened :D

Congrats to Croatia..You have a class team, great players, andyou took the loss...how to put it...in a great way...
Heck if my team went through the same, I dont know how devestated Id be...
You were one of my favorites in teh tourney, now its a Turkey-Russia Final (hopefully!)..
Support to the Underdogs all the way baby...

·
Master Debater
20,938 Posts
Thumbs up to both the Croat and Czech team. It took a miracle for us to beat them.

·
my adp
318 Posts
I didn't want to see both teams playing each other, but this is football and you have to deal with some awkward circumstances sometimes.. anyways i wore my lovely Dinamo Zagreb cap today without even thinking of what happend yesterday..

Wish all the best for Bilic, such a great man indeed!

·
Registered
37 Posts
The fact that neither fans booed each other anthems was a huge plus for me.
This indeed was an extremely pleasant surprise to me, i must say i was fearing a possibly volatile encounter on/off the field but thankfully none of that happened :thumbsup: (there were some minor incidents but that's to be expected with drunk fans).

·
I like things
14,200 Posts
I know a lot of croatians in Calgary, A LOT, I actually think they have one of the biggest minorities in this city. The one croatian I'm good friends with congradulated me... on that note I would have NEVER heard the end of it if we were to lose. It was the best team for us to beat, and would have been the worst to lose to because of how many croatians live here.

·
Registered
22,213 Posts
I did feel for the Croatian players and especially Bilic, this guy is going to have a great career as a manager, gotta love his attitude. But the majority of Croatians here at XT were racist , calling us all kinds of names in that one thread "Czech Republic or Turkey". but there are a few good Croatian fans in here mixed in with a bad majority. Croatia is a sick team and it's a special privilege beating a team so damn good (fukkin Modric was great vs us) but we are no pushovers either our team is the best mentally prepared team in the world.

Good luck to the Croatian NT, they will be champions either on the World Stage or European stage in the near future.

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
I don't think there is much difference between the Croats and the Turks in terms football. One of them were going to make it to the last four and we did. It was a heart breaking experience to the Croat friends for sure, celebrating as if you are through and then conceeding a shocking goal and losing the game.

·
I like things
14,200 Posts
I didn't feel for anyone of the players... the more they cried the more I laughed, seeing them that upset made me even more happy...I was laughing at them.

That's honestly how I felt... maybe I'm sick in the head... maybe I'm a physco.

·
*the drum drum*
42,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Watching Holland v Russia only drives my point home further.

While Turkey and Croatia started to run & try harder when it went into extra-time, look at the Dutch and how much they lack mentally in comparison.

There wasn't a single Dutch player who picked himself up a level like Tuncay, Modric or Hamit did. Not a single player who stood up and said "I WILL NOT LOSE!", not after they equalised and not after Russia went ahead again.

If it was Holland v Croatia in extra-time, Croatia's mental spirit would've walked right on over the Dutch.

Seriously, you take a look at Croatia, how much they tried and how close they got. Then you realise that we overcame them . . It just makes this victory all the more remarkable.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts