Xtratime Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...how do you define them? And what are some of your faves?.
Generally I detest the typical Hollywood romatic-comedy movie type. Like "Maid in Manhattan", or anything with Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan, together. They're too manipulative and everybody's so goody-goody and touchy-feely it's just nauseating. I just roll my eyes at them. Call me a cynic.:rolleyes:
However there are movies in this vein that pierce my cynicism that I do find sweet and charming. They're genuinely entertaining, and not as seemingly contrived as the above mentioned fare. The stories aren't always cliche: Hooker with a heart-of-gold, Rich guy falls for Poor girl; the characters aren't out of upper-middle/rich bland U.S stereotypes. Anyway, here's a few that I found well done.

Muriel's Wedding: Aussie flick with Toni Collette(fantastic actress!). There's a nice depth to this movie. Everything isn't all rosy, people aren't all nice. It's doesn't pretend that the world isn't a cynical place sometimes, but yet it is heart-warming. It's also funny as hell.

About a Boy: Good movie with Hugh Grant as a spoiled rich Bachelor forging a relationship with an "unusual" kid. Again, it's not all touchy-feely, and there are some genuinely hilarious moments. I was laughing out loud and had a smile on my face, singing "Killing me Softly" all afternoon after seeing this.

Amelie: As mentioned in another thread. It's a "different" movie. Difficult to analyze, but it's sweet without being manipulative IMO.

And, I'm almost embarassed to admit this, but my fave charming movie of all time is....."The Sound of Music" :eek: I remember the first time I saw it. My Parents took us to see it when I was maybe eight or so. We wanted to see some other Shark movie or something, but I was thoroughly captivated, and have seen it many times since. I can always sit down and watch it.

So those are some charmers in my view. There are more, but these are the ones that occur to me at the moment. So, what's your favourite charmer?

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
well, movies can be charming in different ways.. As I make this list I realize that some of the most "charming" or "sweet" films tend to be flawed, yet so much fun. A charming film demands filmic sacrifices, and they are worth it. Sorry if some are already mentioned.

Les Invasions Barbares (very evocative, few movies spark such mixed emotions out of you)
L'Auberge Espagnole (it wasn't really an intimate film since there were so many characters and issues, but it still has that euro pudding embrace of a spanish apartment)
Lovely & Amazing
La vite e Bella (quite flawed in it's generalise premise of making something awful look light-hearted but the charm is what makes this film beautiful)
Trois Coloers Rouge (or any film with Irene Jacob)
The Umbrellas of Cherbourg
Le Fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain
Il Postino

·
Registered
859 Posts
Annie Hall ( my favorite american roimantic movie of all time, the best of Woody allen)
Le Fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain (no comments)
Most movies by Kar Wai Wong (In the mood for love, Chungking Express)
Il Postino (I came to appreciate it when I watched it a 2nd time)
The Road Home (directed by Yimou Zhang, have any of you seen it, it is a lovely movie)
Together (Lukas moodyson is incredible, this one is a feel good comedy with alot off diferent pro communists, vegetarians and others living together in a society in the 70s, better than L'Auberge Espagnole ;) )
L'Auberge Espagnole (still a good movie about young people, much better than the avarage cr*p about young from the US)
Nuovo cinema Paradiso
Delicatessen (so many charming details and characters in such a dark story, don't know if this one belongs here. The same goes fro MAlena, Jean de florette and Jules and Jim)
Italian for beginners

·
Registered
859 Posts
A movie need to be very humanistic and have a hearth to be charming to me, I find those things in few hollywood movies. I think Italian movies are the best in finding that nostalgic childhood memories portraying simple people in a society, in that very special way. How movies have not been made in Italy WW 2 and still feels so charming and humanistic?

Oh and I would add Central do Brasil and Behind the Sun to my list (maybe there is some nationalism behind it, but I found both movies charming).

·
Registered
22,487 Posts
Pane e Tulipani (in german : Brot &Tulpen)
Il Postino
Muriel´s wedding
Como Agua Para Chocolate (Mexico, 1992, dont know it under another title. the german one: Bittersüße Schokolade)
The wedding singer
Meet Joe Black
Moonlight&Valentino

·
Second Place winner, October 2012 XT Photo Contest
3,938 Posts
I was extremely charmed by Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia, but I'm sure I was the only one.

But seriously, Band of Outsiders, Miracle At Morgan's Creek and The Draughtsman's Contract were all very charming to me.

RIO

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Steph! said:
Fanfan, starring Sophie Marceau & Vincent Perez. :heart:
My favourite film for all time! :star:

delpi_vanni_10 said:
Como Agua Para Chocolate (Mexico, 1992, dont know it under another title. the german one: Bittersüße Schokolade)
Like Water For Chocolate! :thumbsup: I like the book more, though. ;)

My list:
Fanfan
The Contact (Korean)
Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain
Christmas in August (Korean again)
Im Juli (German, the English title I have is called "In July". I can't stand most "road movies" but this one is nice)
... etc.

I should have a longer list but I can only think of these titles now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts