Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
59,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Game tomorrow, our 4th in 11 days, so it may well tell :(

Still Charlton really don't excite me. I mean who do they have now? Matt Holland & Dean Kiely are their good players and that's about it imo. Claus Jensen, Bartlett, Konchesky, Johansson and Mark Fish are just slightly above average imo. and then they got 2 Spurs rejects in Perry and Luke Young! surely we should be able to at least get a point away from the Valley!!?!

We can't have Charlton representing us in the CL. They'll end up getting thrashed 4-0 every game! it's our duty to put where they belong! mid table mediocrity :fero: :fero:

COME ON YOU SPURS!!!!

Now hows that for a pump up talk :tongue:

·
Registered
11,971 Posts
That talk has more chance of pumping up these reebok basketball trainer tongues than it has the team :D :D

I bet you had a pair of these Hakan... :D :D

·
Registered
59,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My old man actually did have a pair of Nike ones like those in one of his attempts to get sporty :eek: :D

My talk wasn't that bad! it was worthy of the head of an HR department :tongue: and surely better than Pleats half time talk last Wednesday :howler:

·
Registered
11,971 Posts
Wally said:
My old man actually did have a pair of Nike ones like those in one of his attempts to get sporty :eek: :D

My talk wasn't that bad! it was worthy of the head of an HR department :tongue: and surely better than Pleats half time talk last Wednesday :howler:
Are you sure? ;) The ones above are the unique Reebok Pumps. The ONLY trainers where you press on the basketball on the tongue to give it air to make it bigger. These's also a release 'button' to let air out so you can have the right amount :D :D I think your old man's trainers were the Nike ones Marty McFly had in Back 2 The Future :howler: :D :D

·
Registered
59,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jemster said:
Are you sure? ;) The ones above are the unique Reebok Pumps. The ONLY trainers where you press on the basketball on the tongue to give it air to make it bigger. These's also a release 'button' to let air out so you can have the right amount :D :D I think your old man's trainers were the Nike ones Marty McFly had in Back 2 The Future :howler: :D :D
Nah, didn't have the cool pump but they did look dreadful on him just like those. So much so that after a comment made by a collegue of him, he gave them to me :eek: :D

back to topic :tongue: sicknote's banned for the game :thumbsup: after getting 3 yellow cards! never seen the guy make a tackle :howler: Tarricco will be back and HOPEFULLY Deano will be dropped for tomorrow and go to the South Coast with Hoddle in the summer!

·
Registered
11,971 Posts
I never left the topic :D :D

The Valley is a tough ground for us, and we definately need to tighten up at the back if want to stand a chance of getting anything... I think that in Defoe and Keane, we have goals in the team. We just have to find an effective partnership in midfield and defence to back up their good work...

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Prem Preview: Charlton-Tottenham
Charlton Athletic - Tottenham Hotspur | Latest News | Match Preview | News Archive

Defoe scored on his debut (AFP)
02/10/2004. BACKGROUND

Charlton have lost their grip on fourth spot after two consecutive defeats and will be desperate to halt the
slide when they entertain Tottenham on Wednesday evening.

The Addicks defeats against Bolton and Chelsea have coincided with Scott Parker's departure, so Alan Curbishley will also be anxious to prove a point sooner rather than later before critics say the one-man team has lost that one man.

They come against a Tottenham side that have had the most extraordinary ten days imaginable. Firstly the club springs a major surprise in landing Jermain Defoe on transfer deadline day, they then capitulate in an unbelievable fashion in the FA Cup as they lose 4-3 to Manchester City, then four days later win by the same scoreline in the Premiership. To cap it all off caretaker boss David Pleat sparks a guessing game by announcing the deal to bring in a new manager is "done and dusted", but won't name the individual. So it is truly anyone's guess what is in store for the Valley on Wednesday.

A victory for Tottenham would take them to within four points of Charlton and probably for the first time this season into the top half of the table.

Charlton won 1-0 at White Hart Lane in December, while Spurs won by the same scoreline at the Valley last season. Despite the Addicks' impressive position this season they've only managed four home wins so far.

TEAM FORM

Charlton: LDWWLL

The two defeats for Charlton against Bolton and Chelsea followed successive wins against Wolves and Everton. Their other matches this year was a defeat in the FA Cup against Gillingham and a draw away to Manchester City.

Tottenham: WWDLLW

The stunning 4-3 win at home to Portsmouth was Spurs fourth win in five league matches this year and ended a three match winless run in all competitions, including both FA Cup matches against Manchester City and a 2-1 defeat at Fulham.

TEAM NEWS

Curbishley could make a number of changes after his stinging criticism of the performance against Chelsea on Sunday. He is without the injured Shaun Bartlett and Richard Rufus, but has Jason Euell back in contention, while Carlton Cole can be selected after being forced to sit out the match against Chelsea.

Tottenham are without the suspended Darren Anderton, while Fredi Kanoute remains away on African Cup of Nations duty with Mali. Dean Richards was noticeably booed by his own supporters on Saturday after the latest in a string of below par performances, but Pleat is expected to continue with him.

PLAYER TO WATCH

Charlton: Chris Perry

The centre-back will be keen to prove a point against his former club, which let him leave for a nominal fee earlier this season. Tottenham have shipped seven goals in their last two defenders and perhaps they've been missing the no-nonsense defending of Perry. Paul Konchesky, who spent four months on loan at White Hart Lane, should also line-up against Spurs.

Tottenham: Jermain Defoe

The ?7m signing scored a fine goal on his debut in the win against Portsmouth, who are managed by the man who signed him from Charlton, Harry Redknapp. The Addicks never saw the talent of Defoe as he was 'poached' at an early age, and he'll be hoping to show them what they missed out on.

PROBABLE STARTING LINE-UPS

Charlton: Kiely; Kishishev, Fish, Perry, Hreidarsson; Jensen, Holland, Euell, Konchesky; di Canio, Bartlett

Tottenham: Keller; Carr, Gardner, Richards, Taricco; Dalmat, King, Brown, Davies; Defoe, Keane.
Rob Hogley

soccerage

=================

Prem Prediction: Charlton-Tottenham
Charlton Athletic - Tottenham Hotspur | Latest News | News Archive

02/10/2004. Charlton have lost their last two matches and will be concerned that they will lose their dream of qualifying for Europe for the first time.

The goal of European football is also high on Spurs' agenda and although they are currently 12th in the table they are only seven points off fourth place.

Tottenham's last two matches have involved 14 goals and defensively they seem very vulnerable. However, in Robbie Keane and Jermain Defoe they have a potent strikeforce so a low scoring affair shouldn't be predicted.

Charlton have a disappointing home record considering their position, while Spurs have struggled away from home, which makes this match very hard to call.

David Pleat's side have only drawn three games this season, but this could be a fourth.

Verdict: Draw
SAUK

soccerage

·
Registered
59,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jemster said:
I never left the topic :D :D

The Valley is a tough ground for us, and we definately need to tighten up at the back if want to stand a chance of getting anything... I think that in Defoe and Keane, we have goals in the team. We just have to find an effective partnership in midfield and defence to back up their good work...
I do honestly think btw that player for player we are by far superior to the Addicks but that its down to Pleat and Curbs being the managers that the two clubs fortunes have been so different this season. Only two of their players, Holland and Kiely would make it into our starting line-up imho. and possibly a central defender for Deano since the Doc probably will stay on the bench.

If indeed we can be tight at the back, we have enough up front to cause them problems. I do hope the boys will give 110 % since this also is our last game for about 3 weeks. Time enough to rest!

Come on you Spurs :fero: :fero:

·
Registered
59,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
3 nil up

oh no :(

·
Registered
7,458 Posts
Currently 3-1. No comment from me until the end, I promise...:nervous: :D

·
Registered
7,458 Posts
Sh1t! 3-2

Typically, an old boy scores against us.

If we don't get all the points tonight, I'm gonna go out and find a small bloke to beat up :fero:

·
Registered
59,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
3-2

Bloody Chris Perry scored :mad:

Blow the final whistle!! I can't take this :eek:

·
Registered
59,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hakan said:
If we don't get all the points tonight, I'm gonna go out and find a small bloke to beat up :fero:
Watch out Cem :howler: :D he's after you!!!

·
Registered
7,458 Posts
YESSSSSSSSS!!!!! BLOOOOOODY YESSSS!!!!

Let's breathe easier.

Still won't comment, don't worry chaps :D

·
Registered
59,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Johnny Jackson :happy: :happy: I love ya!!!!!!

Game set and match !!! 4-2!!!!!

My pre-match analysis was right! Charlton, you are ALSO ROUNDS!!!! :fero: :fero:

I still got hope for Europe. Never say die :strong:

·
Registered
7,458 Posts
Jemster said:
That talk has more chance of pumping up these reebok basketball trainer tongues than it has the team :D :D

I bet you had a pair of these Hakan... :D :D

:howler: I remember them. No sorry, they were to expensive for me, I preferred Dunlop :D Nah, far too flash to me. But great nostalgia nevertheless.

All the small blokes on my road can breathe easier tonight... :D

·
Registered
7,458 Posts
Come on, surely we want another 4-3???! :howler:

Great entertainment value we are.

·
Registered
7,458 Posts
PHEEEEEW!!!!

Amazingly we've scored 11 in 3 games! HOWEVER this must prove we need to sort out the back line.

Good stuff for Defoe too!

·
Registered
59,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Spurs = ratings!!! I demand Sky show us every week! we are the best entertainers on earth!!! better than Bruce Forsyth! better than Lenny Henry! better than anyone!! it will be a miscarriage of justice if the best entertainers in the EPL don't get shown every week!!!

Thanks for giving me another heart attack btw Spurs :fero:

But we've done it! full time 4-2 !!!

Now 11th but we're still there!! with a shout for Europe! so close!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts