Xtratime Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Charlton Athletic are set to sign Portugal defender Jorge Costa in the summer, off the back of the 30-year old's successful loan spell at the club this season.

"Jorge has been absolutely superb since he came to England," said Charlton manager Alan Curbishley. "He has shown he is more than capable of holding his own in the Premiership.

"I have already spoken to Porto and they have said they are willing to let him go for slightly less than the £4 million they were asking when we first spoke to them back in December."

Costa has been a revelation for the Addicks in his five-month spell at the club, but previous efforts to sign him on a full-time basis had failed due to Porto's asking-price.

Having captained the Porto side for much of the last decade, Costa had looked set to see out his career as a one-club man (excluding brief loan spells at Penafiel and Maritimo).

But a move seemed inevitable after the burly centre-half fell out with coach Octavio Machado.

Despite rumours of a move to Barcelona, Costa eventually moved to Charlton, where he has attained cult-hero status among the South East London club's fans.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
If I understand the Portuguese newspapers right there hasn't been anything confirmed yet.
I think Costa said something like he had not known anything about it until journalists told him.
As far as I understand, it seems that Mourinho and Pinto da Costa are still counting on having Costa in Porto's squad for next season although British newspapers reported the contrary namely that Porto is willing to let him go even for less money than planned before. :confused:
Nevertheless Jorge Costa underlined that he wants to have the final decision (what is understandable I think).
But it seems he hasn't yet made up is mind how he would prefer his future to look like. He hasn't denied the possibility of returning to Porto but he also said that there were other possibilities.
The decicion should be taken during this month because thereafter Charlton's option for buying Costa runs out, if I don't missunderstand the article at Maisfutebol.

I would like to see Costa back at Porto. Let's see what will happen...

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
I heard Charlton cannot afford the tank. I heard he is heading back to Porto. Personally I would like to see him stay at Charlton. He is a great defender...

·
Registered
119 Posts
i heard they are trying to talk down his price from porto but PDC is not having it as he wants JC to come back next year..As PDC said if they want JC their gonna have to scrap up every single last Pound in their cofres.....

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
It is great that Jorge Costa has decided to leave charlton to play for Porto which will help strengthen the squad and back line. It looks like JC is furious with the reporters in England and also with Charlton. I also think he will go a long way to helping porto win the title.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Nice to have him back:)

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Yeah, back where he belongs... :tongue:

·
Registered
135 Posts
Its great to see Jorge Costa back at Porto he is a great player proving he can play in the best leagues of Europe. I hope he can show what he can do at the World Cup like what he did in Euro 2000.

FORCA PORTUGAL:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Jorge Costa was brilliant for Charlton. I only wish we could have held onto him.
What a player! The Premiership definitely suited him but I think we all kind of knew his heart was back in Porto! That didn't stop him playing his heart out for us while he was here!
I am now a Porto fan too!
And it looks like Porto will be playing Charlton in a friendly on 10th August at the Valley. Can't wait to see Jorge in SE London again. I miss him already!!!

PS. A tribute to the great man

http://www.football365.com/All_News/News_Features/story_30541.shtml

·
Registered
1,471 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Whoops! Thanks Dragonheart for correcting my link and making it work.

I can assure you I was not on my own in praise of Jorge. Every Charlton fan I knew, loved him!
His name was chanted by the charlton faithful at every game.

I'm not surprised the porto fans wanted him back so much!

Will be keeping a close eye on Porto in future and Portugal in the up and coming world cup. They will be my second team!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts