Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a thread to suggest or discuss any potential changes you'd like to see next season.

Also, I know we had this discussion already and it was put to a vote, but I am still pondering the keeper rule for next season. As you all should recall, I proposed a new rule of keeping 5 players with strictions by player position. Since, in my opinion, this was a kind of radical change, I decided to put it to a vote. The vote was like 7-5 or 8-6 in favor of keeping the rule as only 3 players (as we have always done). The 5 keeper idea is officially off the table and shot down.

However, I still think we can find a compromise between the 3 keeper and 5 keeper ideas. I am close to deciding on changing the rule to keeping 4 players for next season. The voting (as mentioned above) was close and this is a good compromise for all parties. There will be no restrictions as to position either.

I look at it this way and I hope others can understand my point. Without question, there will be a ton of impact players in the free agent market this offseason. The rosters of AI Melo and Marco will all be free agents and most likely ToniSamp's as well. Assuming everyone else re-joins next season, we will need one more team to make it 14 total teams (remember we will NOT have 16 teams again as we did this season). So along with 3 rosters being dumped back into the free agent pool, we can add any big time players coming to Serie A, and the young players from Serie B, etc. No one can argue that they have no chance to be competitive next season. The likes of Pato, Trezeguet, Del Piero, Bianchi, Vucinic, Aquilani, Rosina, Cristiano Doni, Julio Cesar, Mexes, etc will all be free agents. I think keeping 4 players keeps the continuity of the league and honestly, gives me a little less work to do in the offseason (which I am dreading cause I anticipate this being alot of work but I want to do it).

The 4 keeper rule will likely go into effect after the season and it would take basically everyone in the league to come to me and reject the idea.

·
Registered
7,951 Posts
To be honest with you R10 I am not a big fan of reducing the number of teams.
I dont know if 16 teams is a larger load for you, but for me i have no problems doing scores against next year, just give me 24-48 hours after the last game as usually I am busy with school work and stuff on the Sunday after i watch the last serie a game and dont have time to do scores, but im available pretty much all mondays and some sundays.

I think we can find 2-3 new people, but my question is this if we reduce to 14 teams what do we do with the extra 4 games?
I mean I do not think the Champions league/uefa cup and Copa Italia competition can come even close to the excitement of the league.

So I think as long as its ok with you we can put the number of teams for next year up for discussion as well, but if you have a valid reason and you feel like you cannot manage the league with 16 teams, then I will respect your descision.

·
Premium Member
11,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
To be honest with you R10 I am not a big fan of reducing the number of teams.
I dont know if 16 teams is a larger load for you, but for me i have no problems doing scores against next year, just give me 24-48 hours after the last game as usually I am busy with school work and stuff on the Sunday after i watch the last serie a game and dont have time to do scores, but im available pretty much all mondays and some sundays.
This was the first time we had 16 teams and as ToniSamp mentioned quite a few times, its too much. I want to reduce the teams to 14 mainly to keep this group together and add just one more team (ToniSamp if he reconsiders or Thotobald if he wants back in as he was forced to quit cause of the army, etc). Also, 2 less teams is 46 extra players in the free agent pool. Those 46 extra players can help ensure more teams are competitive as squads will be deeper. Many teams are playing with subs these days.

Less teams also means less work and headaches for me.

I think we can find 2-3 new people, but my question is this if we reduce to 14 teams what do we do with the extra 4 games?
I mean I do not think the Champions league/uefa cup and Copa Italia competition can come even close to the excitement of the league.
Yes, there is no doubt we can find 2-3 new players, but I really don't want to. I want to keep consistency with the same people. I don't want to bring in newbies that end up like AI Melo and complain about the keeper rule or any other rules. I also don't want to bring in newbies who play a year and then decide not to play anymore (which has happened in the past). Keeping the same people makes it more fun and creates more rivalries. It also keeps continuity.

And we will need those 4 extra games for the Champions League, Coppa Italia, and Italian Super Cup matches. I know its not as exciting as the league, but for those in it, it may be. If and when you qualify for the XT Champions League, you will appreciate it I bet. ;)

So I think as long as its ok with you we can put the number of teams for next year up for discussion as well, but if you have a valid reason and you feel like you cannot manage the league with 16 teams, then I will respect your descision.
Thank you for respecting my decisions and as always, thanks to you and naervod for doing the scores. As I have said before, if you guys don't do the scores, the league would likely end. So we are grateful.

·
Premium Member
9,043 Posts
Totally agree with everything R10 says. I'm all for retaining four players, and i'm all for reducing the number of participants. As R10 said, you may be able to have a good 1st XI, but for a good squad depth, 16 participants is just too much.

·
Registered
8,966 Posts
Like it, especially the idea of reducing it to 14 players. Not only is it alot of work for R10 and to a certain extent me and ACM (mostly R10 though), but we were also having scheduling idfficulties. Fewer players could allow us to experiment with things that seem like they could be cool ideas. (Mainly an XT Fanatasy CL with the best from the Serie A and La Liga fantasy leagues, as has been mentioned.) I think having better squads is also good because frankly, its more fun to have players in your squad that will play almost all the time. We could help avoid situations like mine and Tractor Boy's where due to injuries and suspensions we are severely depleted in certain positions (FW/ACE for me, CB for him) and don't really have great depth to cover. Of course that is partially due to poor squad planning (at least on my part - only 3 FWs and 1 ACE) so I'm not trying to make an excuse for this season, but I'm sure if there were fewer participants and more players available that we'd be a little more competitive at this point, so this is definitely something to look at for next season.

Having fewer participants and better squad depth for each participant is bound to alleviate some of those issues and make it more enjoyable for all those involved.

·
Registered
7,951 Posts
Thank you for explaining it all to me now that I see your reasoning I understand why you are doing this and now I agree that we should reduce to 14 teams.

The only thing that i really hope can happen to make the CL more realistic is to play with the spanish fantasy teams, but i heard their scoring is much different which would make it very hard if not impossible to reach a compromise. So i guess we can throw that idea out the window.

Other than that im really happy with the current system.
If Van Der Vaart comes to Italy the 4 keeper rule would be pretty beneficial for me :D

·
Registered
8,966 Posts
The only thing that i really hope can happen to make the CL more realistic is to play with the spanish fantasy teams, but i heard their scoring is much different which would make it very hard if not impossible to reach a compromise. So i guess we can throw that idea out the window.
We can find a way to do it. It probably wouldn't be exactly the same as either of the scoring systems in use, but we could find something familiar to both. I'd be happy to help in finding such an agreement.

·
Registered
7,951 Posts
Here are their rules
XT Fantasy Liga 2008/09 point system. The proposal.
After one year of experience, this is an open proposal to discuss for the next season.

There are some aspects that I want to improve:

- First of all, I want to add more interaction in the games. Until now, your points (goals) only depend on the performance of your own squad. With the new system, I want to give an impulse towards realism, so you can influence in the points and goals of your rivals.

-Some aspects of the current system will be modified, mainly more importance for the assists.

-I also want to close some "holes" of the current system, closing the posibility to the fact of having several pure strikers in the team.

The proposal is (once again) based on the system created by ToniSamp for the Italian Fantasy league.

Here it is:

1- Teams

You have to build a roster with 23 players.

Goalies
Center backs
Full backs
Midfielders
Forwards
Strikers

in the proportions you want.

Yet, you must always have on the pitch:
1 goalie, 2 center backs, 2 full backs, 2 midfielders, 1 forward and 1 striker.

The team can be completed according to the following rules:
a) there must be just 1 goalie
b) there cannot be more than 2 strikers
c) if there are just 2 center backs then there must be at least 2 full backs

2- Scores:

In each game you can have: points added to your score, points subtracted to your opponent's score and points added to your opponent's score.

a) The points added to your score: 2 points for each player playing at least 60 minutes, just 1 point for the players playing 59 or less minutes, 5 points for each goal, 3 points for each assist.

b) The points subtracted to the score of your opponent: the points for a clean sheet.

GK -------> 5 points subtracted to the opponent
CB -------> 4 points subtracted
FB -------> 3 points subtracted
MF -------> 2 points subtracted
No points for FW and ST

A player has to play at least 60 minutes in order to gain the clean sheet. The goals conceded by his team in the remaining minutes are not counted.

The goalie saving a PK subtracts 5 points to the opponent.

c) The points added to the score of your opponent:

- 5 points for the own goal of one of your players
- 1 point every 3 goals conceded by the team of your players. Example: Espanyol lose 3-0 and you have a defender of Espanyol in your team, one point is added to the score of your opponent. This rule will work for GK, CB, FB and MF. ST and FW are again not included in this rule.

e) Total:
20 total points = 1 goal
25 total points = 2
30 total points = 3
35 total points = 4
and so on.

·
Registered
7,951 Posts
There are very few differences!

1) You must have at least 2 full backs in their team
2) The points subtracted are different.
CB is 4 for them 3 for us
SB is 3 for them 2 for us
SM is 2 for them and 1 for us.

I am sure we can compromise on those 3!

So only 2 differences.
Full backs are much more important there.

I guess we can give them the 2 full backs rule in favor of SB cleansheet subtracting 2 points.

·
Premium Member
11,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Koeman4 (XT La Liga President) and I can definitely compromise and work something out. I appreciate the enthusiasm I'm seeing here!! Thanks again guys..it means alot! :thmbup:

·
Missing Guidolin.
21,157 Posts
I wouldn't want to see many changes, our game is pretty ideal as of now. I don't want to overcomplicate things.
I agree with the four 'keepers rule.

I would like to be able to carry points unused over to the next season, but this probably couldn't happen, because we are never sure who will continue. The only possible way is that the guy who takes over the team who leaves the league picks up the points of the user who left.
It would make people be more cautious towards the end of the markets, and give you a financial edge over some players if you used your credits more wisely.

·
Registered
8,447 Posts
I would like to be able to carry points unused over to the next season, but this probably couldn't happen, because we are never sure who will continue. The only possible way is that the guy who takes over the team who leaves the league picks up the points of the user who left.
It would make people be more cautious towards the end of the markets, and give you a financial edge over some players if you used your credits more wisely.
This is one very intresting idea, I believe a discussion about this could be really worth it.

As for 4 kept players, I believe there could be some kind of requirement to take max 2 players of each position or something like that.

For all the rest, I'm :thmbup:

·
Premium Member
11,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is a very interesting idea and would make the league even more realistic. However, I am kind of against the idea. There are too many holes. If someone left the league, there is no way I am giving a newbie the additional funds to create their roster. They must start from scratch like every rookie here had to.

And this rule change could create some "creativity" to basically handicap the league for everyone else. Lets say, we have our bidding this summer and I get screwed out of all the good players I wanted. There are no good impact players left, so I basically quit for 2008/09 by just spending peanuts on youth players or old players who are way past it. I could create a 23 man roster for like 200 credits, leaving me with 400 extra for 2009/10. I'd start that mercato with 1000 credits and there is no way I would be outbidded. I'd essentially buy every major player available. Whats the fun in that? The league would be ruined for almost everyone. People could have a big advantage over others and we really would create a "big team" vs "small team" syndrome like the real Serie A. No way your beloved Parma or the likes of Cagliari and Reggina can compete with Milan, Juve, or Inter. Would you all really like to see that in our league? I don't.

As for 4 kept players, I believe there could be some kind of requirement to take max 2 players of each position or something like that.
Well, this is up to all of you guys. I am about 95% sure that we will keep 4 players in the upcoming summer mercato. I would like to place restrictions on positions as well, but I will leave that up to everyone else. As you said Pavel, no one would be able to keep more than 2 players per position. ACE/FW would be considered 1 position in this case. So a player could keep 1 ACE, 1 FW, and 2 CMs....or 2 FWs, 1 GK, and 1 SM....etc etc.

·
Missing Guidolin.
21,157 Posts
I could create a 23 man roster for like 200 credits, leaving me with 400 extra for 2009/10. I'd start that mercato with 1000 credits and there is no way I would be outbidded. I'd essentially buy every major player available. Whats the fun in that?
That's a little extreme, no? I don't think someone would sacrifice a whole season to benefit themselves for the next year.
There are flaws in the idea, that's why it was a suggestion.

·
Premium Member
11,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
That's a little extreme, no? I don't think someone would sacrifice a whole season to benefit themselves for the next year.
There are flaws in the idea, that's why it was a suggestion.
In the 2006/07 summer mercato, I got everything wrong and ended up with like 7 players of the 23 I went for. There was basically no good players to buy and I had to spend all my cash on guys like Pizarro, Volpi, Fiore, Diana, and Marianni. I finished in 7th and only did so cause I had Totti (26 goals) and Iaquinta (14 goals). If something similar happened to me again and the "carry over credits" rule was in effect, I would totally sacrifice my season to be a powerhouse in the next. What would be the difference in finishing 8th or 12th in our league? Nothing, since there are no demotions to XT Serie B. :tongue:

I think you have a very good suggestion and of course there are flaws in it, same with my suggestions/rulings as League President. We're all in this together afterall. :D

·
Premium Member
11,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This is why we should play for money :greed: (no moggi).
I wish. I would have won money for the 2005/06 XT Scudetto and the 2006/07 XT Supercoppa Italiana....and hopefully this year's title. :nervous:

·
Premium Member
9,043 Posts
I wouldn't want to see many changes, our game is pretty ideal as of now. I don't want to overcomplicate things.
I agree with the four 'keepers rule.

I like this idea, but R10 has come up with the obvious flaw... though yes, a little extreme. I would also hope this would not come into affect until the end of next season, as i would have been far more cautious in this season's transfer market had i known...

Perhaps there could be a cap on the amount of extra credits you can take over to the next season? Say 75? Or a percentage of what you save. Ie, if it were 50%, if someone had 100 credits left-over, and another 40, then the first would get 50 credits to take over, and the next, 20.

·
Premium Member
11,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes, the potential changes on the "team budget" carryover would not take into effect until the summer mercato for the 2009/10 season. First off, I think all the info on player's remaining budgets was deleted by AI Melo and it wouldn't be fair to start that now as some wouldn't have spent the credits they did had they known about the rule change.

A carryover cap is a pretty good idea too, we'd just all have to agree on how much could be carried over.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts