Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
13,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you look at our forwards, we simply don't have the players to play 4-3-3.

Ronaldinho, Giovani and Messi (and Ezquerro :dielaugh:) are the only wide players, but even they would probably be a better fit in a 4-4-2 (except Giovani imo).

Bojan, Henry, Eto'o are all strikers who should have minutes, and are wasted when playing on the wing. In an ideal situation we would play a 4-4-2 with Eto'o and Messi as the 2 strikers. With ideally a hungry Ronaldinho behind them, but as its not the case, Iniesta behind them.

Henry is alright, but Eto'o and Messi are better, and Henry might be more useful as a pinchhitter nowadays. Bojan is still not ready to be a first eleven striker, but he would fit a 4-4-2 better as he won't be wasted on the wing.

The only downside changing to this system has, is that we completely lose width. We didn't have much before, but after this we won't have any, as our fullbacks aren't overlapping enough as in the days of Belletti and to a lesser extent Gio.

Will it ever happen? Would Mourinho change his system, or would he continue with a 4-3-3 like he played at Chelsea? Do we need new wing players? Why are we rumoured with players like Benzema, but no wingers? Discuss :pp

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
I'm not a Barcelona fan, but I agree you should try 4-4-2

Bojan, Eto'o
<New wide player*>, Yaya, Xavi, Messi
Abidal, Milito, Puyol, Zambrotta
Valdes

* Capel or Ben Arfa

·
Registered
639 Posts
Should be like this:

-----Henry------Eto'o-------
--Ronnie*------------Messi--
-----Toure------Xavi---------

*or iniesta

·
Registered
8,261 Posts
We need bunch of midfielders and a lot of work so that formation would succeed. If we use deep fullbacks without a classic DM, then we're screwed up. Example: the opponent will easily beat the right side: Messi, Xavi and probably tired offensive-minded Zambrotta or whoever takes his place.

442 is not for Barça, at least I couldn't imagine it other than its diamond version with DM. Then we could use fullbacks to gain width.

I've said it hundreds of times, IMO the starting formation is delusional. Our 433 is just fine if it transforms into its sub-shapes properly and quickly enough. Games are dynamic and non-predictable. Indeterministic nature of football requires more than scratching the team into some shape. At least not within a Rinus Michels' philosophy, in which all of us, the Cules, have fell in love.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Should be like this:

*or iniesta
this looks perfect! Bojan to come in the 2nd half to replace one of the guys upfront, now the only issue is that currently we dont have anyone to play on the right!! maybe Iniesta can shift there but he is much better as a left winger

·
Registered
8,387 Posts
Should be like this:

*or iniesta
The only things worse than the way we defend now is to create a system that will place our players into positions that will damage us. This formation quite simply will lead to a team split in two. Four forwards and six defending will be the order of the day.

For me if you want to switch to 4-4-2, it has to be done either with the right players in midfield who are willing to put in some defensive work (ie. Deco) or you cannot play with with two midfielder essentially in attacking midfield roles.

For me, using the current team we have, the best way is:

-------Henry-----Eto'o
-----------------Messi------
-------Iniesta---Deco--
----------Toure-------

Narrow midield and with from fullbacks (for the most part)

Moreover, since we have no attacking force from the right fullback position. I would allow Messi to drift between the center of the pitch and the right wing. This would have 2 positive effects. 1)Draw defenders away from the middle of the pitch and create more space for the tandem Sylvinho Iniesta Henry Etoo to make a numbers up situation (see the way Valencia attacked us last Thursday as an example) 2) Would still give us width down the right side as we know Zambro isn't so dangerous.

Downside is that this game is more about the two forwards and making situations for 2v2 against the center backs. Kinda goes away from our style of play as the ball needs to arrive their quickly and we tend to like to enter from wide positions even if we do it terribly slow.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
this looks perfect!
This is not 4-4-2, this line-up with those players is 4-2-4. This can not be perceft, this would be suicide.

To me (but who am I anyway), with players you have, perceft line-up in 4-4-2 system, would be.

---------Xavi---Yaya
Iniesta-----------------Sylvinho
---------Messi
----------------Eto'o

·
Registered
62,100 Posts
Should be like this:

*or iniesta
Agreed.

·
Gracies, Turkiye!
19,988 Posts

·
Banned
13,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was more thinking along the lines of:

---------Eto'o----------Messi---------
--------------------------------------
----------------Iniesta----------------
------Deco-----------------Xavi------
-----------------Yaya-----------------
Abidal----------------------Zambrotta
----------Milito--------Puyol----------
----------------Valdés----------------

·
Registered
62,100 Posts
Deco's gone at the end of the season. Same with Zambrotta.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts

i like this but i would change iniesta with deco

·
Registered
8,387 Posts

Only one "pero" with me. I don't lke the idea of Messi playing as an out and out forward. I think it takes a lot away from his game. Playing with back to goal is not how he should be put out on the field in my opinion.

·
Registered
8,261 Posts
Andrés Iniesta, that is the 442 shape which I would like to see, as I mentioned in my post. A plane 442 is no-way! Can I do some adjustment? It also considers Carlos Miguel's "pero".

---------Eto'o----------Bojan--------
---------------------------------------
----------------Messi-----------------
-----Iniesta----------------Xavi------
----------Milito-------Puyol----------

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
I like Vlade's line-up, but I would still play Henry instead of Bojan.

I don't think Bojan is ready to be a starter, and even if he was, I'd still play him as the first sub. He mustn't be rushed in or forced to play more than he can. He's still physically inferior to others on the pitch, he's a kid. And don't forget, this would be a new experience for Henry in Barcelona, he wouldn't be wasted anymore but actually played IN POSITION :eekani:

·
Banned
13,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Messi always played as a striker in the youth (except Barça B), and even before injury he scored a lot of goals. Him as a support striker to Eto'o, with Iniesta feeding them would work wonders imo. Iniesta is better when he's closer to the goal. I remember him saying it in an interview too, that he feels more comfortable the nearer he is to the enemies goal.

·
Banned
5,292 Posts
Andrés Iniesta, that is the 442 shape which I would like to see, as I mentioned in my post. A plane 442 is no-way! Can I do some adjustment? It also considers Carlos Miguel's "pero".

---------Eto'o----------Bojan--------
----------------Messi-----------------
-----Iniesta----------------Xavi------
----------Milito-------Puyol----------
Sounds great to me but Rijkaard won't change the formation IMO.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts