Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
10,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think this has to happen.

Henry:Totally out of sync with the team's pace and is missing his daughter too much.Not good on the left and not good enough at the Centre.

Abidal:I guess he is used to people covering his ass and playing in a countering team.Here in Barca,a wingback is way more important.This chap is old and not fit enough to run it all and he is even mouthing off a lot these days.

Get Vargas and Mata.

Yes,I mean Mata.

·
Banned
5,292 Posts
Mata:Class player.

Vargas: Class player.

Vargas could be our LB solution.

I think Arshavin would maybe be our LW solution but Mata has impressed me.

There aren't too many options out there...

How about Mutu, Van Persie or Solari for the LW?

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Vargas and Zhirkov both defend far far less than Abidal anyway, so that'd be a bit pointless.
Abidal defends? Abidal knows how to deffend?....ABIDAL? Are we talkning about the man who just stand in his position way back in the field not participating in attack nore knowing how to, and then just runs around like a headless chicken when the opposing team reaches over the midfield? Are we talking about this Abidal?

·
Banned
5,292 Posts
Vargas and Zhirkov both defend far far less than Abidal anyway, so that'd be a bit pointless.
As Boludo said Abidal can't defend for nuts in all honesty.

BTW: I hope Parma get promoted back to Serie A (where they belong) this season.

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
As Boludo said Abidal can't defend for nuts in all honesty.

BTW: I hope Parma get promoted back to Serie A (where they belong) this season.
Thanks for that.

OK, to be honest I haven't been able to see a lot of Barca games lately so I don't know just how bad Abidal has been, but both Vargas and Zhirkov are actually wingers played at full back. They both rely on their centre backs to cover their asses most of the time.

Now I understand it's the same with Abidal though :D
It's strange, he always looked like a decent enough defender for France and Lyon

·
Banned
5,292 Posts
but both Vargas and Zhirkov are actually wingers played at full back. They both rely on their centre backs to cover their asses most of the time.
That wouldn't normally be a problem but Barcelona already have Dani Alves doing the same thing on the right side.

Two 100% attacking full-backs (one on both the left & right) may be overkill.

Now I understand it's the same with Abidal though :D
It's strange, he always looked like a decent enough defender for France and Lyon
That was the reason Barcelona bought him initially. But his performances have been poor for the most part. Lack of confidence maybe but I'd say there's more to it then that.

·
Registered
9,029 Posts
Everyone seem so thrilled about Zhirkov just because he was so willing to attack in the Euros. But he's crap when it comes to defend. As someone mentioned, he's a winger converted to a fullback in the NT just for the Euros.

Mata isn't even half the player Gai soon will be. :proud:

·
Banned
5,292 Posts
Everyone seem so thrilled about Zhirkov just because he was so willing to attack in the Euros. But he's crap when it comes to defend. As someone mentioned, he's a winger converted to a fullback in the NT just for the Euros.
Forget defending. Barcelona isn't a defending club.

Mata isn't even half the player Gai soon will be. :proud:
True unless Gai is sold (who knows?).

·
Messiah
9,580 Posts
What about Marcelo ?:)

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
To be able to change the left flank, we'd have to have one first.

I'm not satisfied with Iniesta there, and Abidal really shouldn't be playing.

I suppose we'll have a sort of a flank if we try Sylvinho + Hleb.

We need to sort it out with a couple of signings, though.

·
Registered
6,487 Posts
Still is more than decent in defense.

It's the fact that he can't cross or dribble that unsettles most here and they tend to exaggerate his mistakes. He's still the fastest defender we have and it is highly dubious to call him a liability.

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
It's evident we have a huge problem in the left back position. I was a bit surprised to see that the club decided not to change anything there, probably expecting a better Abidal this year. But Abidal isn't good enough and Sylvinho already has his age and it's evident that Guardiola doesn't trust much in him.

In attack, we don't have a specific left winger, but we can still cover that place. On the other hand, our left back is a huge problem right now... and we'll probably have to wait until next summer for a change. We must be very patient, I fear.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
It is extremely odd. His deterioration has been stunning.
Amazing indeed and probably mostly mental.

I still remember those early months how fit, strong and completely dominant he was on the left. He was even barging forward unlike the now once in a blue moon. Despite all that though he still couldn't cross :moan:
In a defensive sense yes he's not a liability but in the attacking, he not only is, but utterly and completely.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts