1 - 20 of 191 Posts

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
94,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Surely it must be CL 2001/02 since we won 99/00 and Bayern won 00/01. ;)

·
94,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oooops :eek: it must be the drugs again .. I apologize !!! ;)

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
12 days to go towards the single most important game in the world with regards to Real Madrid: The CL final, Real Madrid vs. Bayer Leverkusen.

We were all hoping to be here when the season started, but we never knew what the exact cirumstances would be. As the season started very bad for us, we all hoped for the best...and we got a chance to be the best by coming on top after these 90 minutes in Scotland! :happy:

I think it is a biggetr surprise to see Leverkusen in the final, i doubt any of us expected that. However, thats not the case after observing the type of football they have been able to produce during this CL season. They are a very tough and balanced team, their coach is a very tactful guy, the team has one of the world's biggest players in Ballack (the guy can make or break any game), and they have gotten here on complete merit. Beating the likes of Manchester, Liverpool, Barcelona, Deportivo and Juventus, all in the CL.

So on paper, this team has what it takes to add one more scalp under its belt and cap an amazing year for them. There are many good things going for Bayer, and why its not really all that good that we get to play them and not United. These are IMO:

Underestimating the opposition

Is there any doubt our players rise better to the occasion against bigger clubs? I don't think we will underestimate Bayer as much as we would have given United the full respect and attention. Our players thrive on such matches, and i only worry about how they would approach Bayer now.

More Balanced

United offer a more open game like us, and have just as bad defense. Without Beckham, i fancied our chances to score more goals in an open match. Bayer have a tougher defense no doubt, and in general better balance.

The "German" effect

No discrimination, but i always respected the German teams ability to be calm nuder pressure, most of the time. They have a nerve of steel and usually know how to handle such occasions, and they might use that to their advantage.

Advantages of meeting Bayer?

First Final

Fact is, its the first time they are in such a big occasion. I don't think it would effect them as it did Valencia in 2000, but it might.

Our Record

Our record in CL finals is very good, and our record against Bayer in the last few years (all in CL) is very good. I hope these continue to be very good! :)

Missing players

I would have slept easier if Ballack was out! :D but still, no Nowotny and Ze Roberto is a blow for Bayer.

I think two key elements to our succed will fall on Zidane and Figo. Both are big players who have achieved alot, but are dying to win this trophy. They are now at the stage to do it, if they bring their top game (as they should), it would be very hard for Bayer to stop them.

So, what do you guys think of this game?

·
Registered
10,390 Posts
my prediction REAL 3 Bayer 1

Bayer still has to play Germanys last liga game and the German Cup, so they ll be real tired Lucio and Ballack are both wounded so we ll see if they can make it to Scotland

one thing u miss vampire in the event Bayer win the game it ll be the only team in Champs League history to win the European glory without winning their local league.

·
Premium Member
27,068 Posts
Zidane: “Now I’m all set to win my first Europe’s Cup”

02/05/2002
Leaving aside the upset the French player was feeling on his side from a blow on the ribs, Zidane showed his satisfaction: “It’s been a very important win against a great squad”. Zidane explained that his substitution was due to a pain on his ribs: “I could not bear the pain, so I thought I’d better be replaced”. Although Zidane said it was now time to rest and forget about the Champions League for a while, he did not forget to point out that “we have no other choice but the win. Now, I’m all set to win my first Europe’s Cup”. Finally, the French international praised Madrid supporters’ behaviour saying: “Tonight we have not played as we usually do at home, but people stood on our side”.

Figo: “We had to play with the head”
“I think we had to play with the head, because the first leg’s result was on our side and there was no need to take any chances. Now, we should get our mind off the Champions League for a few days, though the final is round the corner. Maybe Bayer is more unexperienced, but that does not matter now because it’s a sign of something when you get to a final. It’s going to be a tough final, but I hope when it’s over I can be as happy as I am today. Anything could happen in a final. I don’t think there’s a leading team”.

Salgado: “Playing a final is the greatest thing that can happen to a player and a club”
“Playing a final is the greatest thing that can happen to a player and a club. It has been a very important victory because we got it against our old rival. There was no doubt that it was going to be a hard blow for the loser. It was very important that the supporters could enjoy the pleasure of knocking Barcelona out. I believe they played very well at Bernabéu, but the qualification was decided in Barcelona. Nervousness is normal in a semifinal between two great squads like Madrid and Barça. Bayer is a difficult rival with a good record. We have more options playing a team that sends the ball backwards”.

Hierro: “Barcelona, worthy opponents” Madrid’s captain thinks the game “has lived up to the expectations. We knew this match was going to be harder than it seemed beforehand because Barcelona are worthy opponents. They had to play all their cards. From start, they played in a very advanced position and had the possession of the ball longer. They took the control of the game, but we played with a cool head and also kept everything under control

Raúl: “It’s been quite an open semifinal”

02/05/2002
“It’s been quite an open and tough semifinal. Barcelona proved they are a top-class team by making a huge effort to qualify, but we knew how to receive all the blows. Our first goal made everything easier, but after the draw we had to fight a lot. It was a very important goal, because I had not scored for a long time and this game was the best moment to do it. We have put the visiting defence through a lot of trouble by creating four or five clear opportunities to score. The possession of the ball was on their side. We could not imagine Barcelona putting three goals past us. The aggregate result has shown Madrid’s superiority in the whole round. Now we are facing a final where anything could happen. It’s going to be tough because the Germans are a strong squad, with discipline and top-class players that can sort the game out at any time.
Guti: “It wasn’t a spectacular game”
“It was not a spectacular game, but we had to be practical. Madrid managed to make the most of the first leg’s result. Raúl’s goal made everything easier to play the second half. Barcelona stuck to their style, but I believe they lost their qualification at home. I went close to score the 2-0, I tried to slot the ball between his legs, but fortune was on Bonano’s side. If I had netted, it would have meant the end of the game. When Raúl and myself made it to the box from some yards out, it was more difficult for the opposing defence to stop us. We know Bayer is a physically strong team with top-class players. The chances are 50-50 in this final. Our experience in this sort of events could be an advantage. The Champions League title could be the perfect ending for the Centenary.”

Roberto Carlos: “We played a very intelligent game”
“We played a very intelligent game that has led us to the final, which is very important for all Madrid supporters. The advantage we got in Barcelona was determinant. It’s always an important achievement to knock Barcelona out. We have won nothing yet, as we still have to play a very dangerous squad in the final. They are a good lot. In Liga, we have not said our last word either, one should look out for surprises in the next Liga game.”

Solari: “One does not play a Champions League final every day”
“Now we should think about the team’s performance over the past five years with three Europe’s Cup finals, semifinals... We have qualified because we played this game intelligently. The final against Bayer has no leading team, but we will step on the pitch with the strong determination to win, that’s the only way we play”.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
This game is going towards the direction of "Giant" vs "Minnow" as I see it, and I'll be lying if I say Madrid is not a Giant in her own rights. :)

However the "Giant" hasn't been playing up to expectations (at least mine) and the "minnow" doesn't look like one exactly.

Things like history, players and favourite sentiments will be on our side but hell, most of these counts for nothing on matchday. Add to our advantage, (from what I saw of them) I think the long Bundesliga and UCL campaign had most Bayer players carrying some sort of injuries (big or small), more than the Ballack, Lucio or Novotny than one would expect. Their earlier end of Bundesliga might be helpful, but I wonder how many will be really fully-fit by that time.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Guys,

Anyone already celebrating our win, need i remind you of Dortmund 3 - Juventus 1 ?

If it was not a German club, i would feel more easy. Credit them for being able to show up in big games, the usually do.

Is Salgado suspended or not for the final? :confused: Before the game i was under the impression that he will miss the final if booked, but now i am hearing he won't miss the final (and he was booked). Does anyone know the truth?

·
Registered
33,807 Posts
Today Bayer Leverkusen lost the Bundesliga to Borussia Dortmund. In my opinion, this will make Bayer Leverkusen even more determined to win the Champions League, and therefore also more dangerous.

All of the players will need to perform well against Bayer Leverkusen, but extra responsibility falls on Makelele, Zizou, and Raul.

I expect this to be a goal-filled match, but one that I think Real Madrid has a good chance of winning.

No Copa del Rey this season, perhaps no La Liga, so let's at least win for the Centenary the trophy that has played a major role in making Real Madrid what it is.

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
Real Madrid are my second fav team and i love watching them and seeing them win everything.

however, if Leverkusen won, i wouldnt be upset, cuz its good for others to win, as long as they are not english of course...lol

but please win it for Zidane, he deserves it, give him what my beloved juve couldnt.

its all he needs, then he has won everything possible!

btw, Real Madrid 3 leverkusen 1

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
CUG,

I think Zidane realizes it, this is his best chances to complete his amazing set of achievments!

Thats why i expect him to give 110% in that game nothing less, and i hope that would be too much for Bayer to handle, amongst other things (Figo also wants to win this for the first time).

But i can't lie and say i am not worried about Ballack :nervous:

·
Banned
110 Posts
FELLOW MADRIDSTAS...

DONT FORGET THE LAST TIME REAL MADRID CF CAME TO GLASGOW TO PLAY A EUROPEAN CUP FINAL:

REAL MADRID CF 7 - EINTRACHT FRANKFURT 3

PUSKAS 4, DI STEFANO 3

i dont think this time it will be anything different...god has destined madrid's centenary year to be this way...and the same venue against another small german team...COINCIDENCE? I DONT THINK SO...:D

BAYER LEVERKUSEN 2 - REAL MADRID CF 4 [AFTER ET]

it will be a very attractive game of football, leverkusen and madrid will have their fair share of possession and a lot of attacks/counterattacks will happen. its obvious real madrid cf have the edge over their german counterparts who will be demoralised that dortmund snatched away the bundesliga from them and not to forget the abscence of their instrumental left winger, ze roberto.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Welcome OMG to the forums :)

Hope to see more of your comments across the board, inline with XT's rules....we always look forward to seeing more Madridstas here! :)

FYI, if we win on May 15th, it would be numero 9.

·
94,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well Folks......Centenary year....We had OUR fair shot at 3 Cups...Two are gone by the wayside and One is left ....
Please Merengues......................................................We HAVE to take this one, not because its the only one left ...But because we DESERVED them All, with the Champions included ....

:happy:

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Salgado only got 2 tarjetas de amarillos , so we shall have our team at full strength (if there're no injuries from now till then, that is)!

With Ze Roberto out, he should breathe easier but RC might have a tiring day with Neuville on the right.. :depress:

I think if we're able to win the midfield battle, victory will be ours! :star:

·
Registered
12,718 Posts
Real needs to take the game from the beginning and not miss too many oppurtunities because those Germans will not give up no matter how many goals they're down by. Therefore Morientes being in full fitness is a must and i believe he will be the key to our success in this game. Im really looking forward for the Ballack-Makelele battle, should be interesting.

·
Registered
10,390 Posts
CUG said:

but please win it for Zidane, he deserves it, give him what my beloved juve couldnt.
We pay millions for this guy so it should be the other way around Zidane should win it for the team, the fans and himself in this order man.

We dont need to win anything for Zidane or any other player, if u know what i mean....

·
Registered
10,390 Posts
Tim said:
Today Bayer Leverkusen lost the Bundesliga to Borussia Dortmund. In my opinion, this will make Bayer Leverkusen even more determined to win the Champions League, and therefore also more dangerous.

Wrong, When u loose a tittle the way Neverkusen did , you tend to start doubting:confused: your abilities to win a silverware. unless you follow the psycology of Alfred Adler, who said that after adversity you can compensate and make yourself stronger, but I really doubt it, cause this is something that just happens very rarely, most of the time teams tends to loose self-detremination after a blow like that, and facing the likes of Ream Madrid dont help the Adler teories- ;)

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
I would rather follow Tim's logic, Alto Ego, ;) coz we would be more dangerous than them, having losing out to Copa del Rey and La Liga title!! :D

1 - 20 of 191 Posts