Xtratime Community banner

181 - 197 of 197 Posts

·
Greta joke sharer
22,875 Posts
I'm pretty sure that Zoric meant that the mentality of the team is important, not that Red's post had a direct impact on the game.

A winning team has to go into every game with the intention to win (or get a favourable result). A lot of players didn't bother showing up mentally against Slavia and that's why we got embarrassed by them. They simply outran us, while the Inter players were somehow expecting Slavia to give us the win out of respect.

Hence you have to approach every game with a winning mentality where the players are prepared to put in the effort instead of treating games like automatic wins or losses.

The Juve game is on Sunday, so fatigue shouldn't be such a determining factor despite Juve getting on day more of recuperation.

P.S. If Red's posting doesn't matter how come there's no separate Barca thread?

·
Super Moderator
13,630 Posts
Really impressive game from you. Should have closed it in the first half. Why didn't Lukaku play? I thought Sanchez and Lautaro did well, but also that Lukaku may have actually scored one or two in that first half.

The Vidal change really changed everything IMO, but it was also just brilliance, that first goal. Game should have probably ended 2-2 if you took at least one of your good chances.

It's really something to see how a coach can transform a team. This looks like a completely recognizable Conte team now. Scary.

·
Registered
43,519 Posts
This is complete loser mentality and why Inter didn't beat Slavia in the first round of group games. This is also the reason why Lazio managed to create so many chances against Inter last week and the result would've probably been a whole lot different if Immobile started..

Sides that become champions DON'T CHOOSE when they're going to play the best team and not. They compete in every game, every situation..

The foundation of a winning side is built when they compete twice a week, not just once and with a bunch of results like the one yesterday but also a lot of positive ones. This is why Empoli almost knocked out Inter of contention to play in the Champions League in the final game of last season, this is why Inter lost to Eintracht Frankfurt in Europa League last season.

Luckily for Inter-fans there's one guy that knows this and that's Conte.
You're right but there's a practical aspect, which is our lack of depth. We just can't play like that. Brozovic, for example, ran his ass off against Sampdoria and was clearly fatigued for this match. But Brozovic played anyway since our best midfield trio is Brozovic, Barella and Sensi. After that, it comes down to Gagliardini and Vecino. I think Gagliardini is alright but with Vecino, we wouldn't have been able to be so tight against Barça. In central defence, it can only be Godin, Skriniar and de Vrij. Bastoni looks good but is new to the first team and Ranocchia is not a true option for important games.

After this match, Brozovic will be totally shattered and other players will definitely be worn out...and we have to face Juventus this weekend. This match will have taken a lot out of our players and we can't play at the same level when we have games every few days.

Lazio (Wed) -Samp (Sat - going down to 10 men just after halftime) - Barça (Wed) - Juventus (Sun) is a brutal run of games.

·
Greta joke sharer
22,875 Posts
Really impressive game from you. Should have closed it in the first half. Why didn't Lukaku play? I thought Sanchez and Lautaro did well, but also that Lukaku may have actually scored one or two in that first half.

The Vidal change really changed everything IMO, but it was also just brilliance, that first goal. Game should have probably ended 2-2 if you took at least one of your good chances.

It's really something to see how a coach can transform a team. This looks like a completely recognizable Conte team now. Scary.
Lukaku had some minor muscle issue with his thigh and was rested for the Juve game.

·
Registered
44,357 Posts
Exactly, Nacka. Successful teams don't cherry pick games they'll show up in. They compete no matter the circumstances and learn from the backlashes. The league is the bloodline of everything while the Champions League is a fantastic opportunity and where you learn the most because of the quality of each opponent.

@Firdaus

That's why they go through pre-season with triple-sessions. That's what Juventus (who Inter want to compete with) or any other side go through every season and with the success comes money which in turn gives the leadership of the club a chance to invest in squad depth.

·
Registered
43,519 Posts
@Firdaus

That's why they go through pre-season with triple-sessions. That's what Juventus (who Inter want to compete with) or any other side go through every season and with the success comes money which in turn gives the leadership of the club a chance to invest in squad depth.
Then we're not on that level. Have you seen what we've been up to since the Treble? Moratti disengaged and we haven't had any sort of serious investment as a club that wants to challenge for a title until now. Suning has done a decent job since taking over but the past summer transfer season marks a big ramp-up in ambitions.

Think about this. Borja Valero played 27 times for us in the league last season.

·
Registered
15,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #187
This is complete loser mentality and why Inter didn't beat Slavia in the first round of group games. This is also the reason why Lazio managed to create so many chances against Inter last week and the result would've probably been a whole lot different if Immobile started..

Sides that become champions DON'T CHOOSE when they're going to play the best team and not. They compete in every game, every situation..

The foundation of a winning side is built when they compete twice a week, not just once and with a bunch of results like the one yesterday but also a lot of positive ones. This is why Empoli almost knocked out Inter of contention to play in the Champions League in the final game of last season, this is why Inter lost to Eintracht Frankfurt in Europa League last season.

Luckily for Inter-fans there's one guy that knows this and that's Conte.
Maybe, but you also have to be semi-clever about how you use your resources, expecially when they are quite limited (which Inter's are in midfield and attack). And if Inter lose on Sunday this "100% every game" approach will not look too hot TBH.

Brozovic, for example, is not a player that benefits from playing 3 games a week. His form drops and he makes big mistakes.

Same for Asamoah, De Vrij and D'Ambrosio. If that makes them losers then so be it. Inter don't have 100 million lying around to buy replacements.

·
Registered
15,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #189
A winning team has to go into every game with the intention to win (or get a favourable result). A lot of players didn't bother showing up mentally against Slavia and that's why we got embarrassed by them. They simply outran us, while the Inter players were somehow expecting Slavia to give us the win out of respect.
As Ahmed pointed out, Mourinho's Treble team played awfully in half of the CL group games in 2010:

Rubin Kazan 1 - Inter 1
Barcelona 2 Inter 0
Inter 2 Dinamo Kiev 2

Winning teams go through dips in form and fitness. There were questionable levels of motivation in some of those games in 2010.

Anyway look, a few of us were fairly depressed to see the team lose yet again to Barca despite running them incredibly close. It all felt a bit futile and there were probably some overly fatalistic knee-jerk reactions.

But in the long-run that Barca performance might foster belief and team spirit in the players..... or it might have worn them the f*** out for Juve on Sunday and laid the groundwork for a loss.

We will find out very soon.

·
Registered
57,648 Posts
Where's the thread, red?

Anyhow in terms of attacking performance, this performance at Camp Nou was our best there for sure. Doubt we had that many shots/chances in 02-03, 09-10 and last season.

·
Registered
57,648 Posts
There will be a separate thread for Dortmund midweek, not sure who will do it... Any volunteers? :D

I am excluding myself as I did the PSV thread last season.

need a change from red who already started this thread

This leaves Nacka or Firdy. Or any lurking members who don't post much nowadays.

Our recent record at home against the German clubs is disastrous.

10-11, CL: lost at home to Bayern and to Schalke
14-15, EL: lost at home to Wolfsburg
Last season, EL: lost at home to Frankfurt

For the Dortmund game, as far as I am concerned: if we win, good, if we don't, we can focus on the league which is ok. So I won't be too tense/nervous. Priority should be Serie A with all due respect to the prestige of the CL.

Asamoah and Godin will start barring injuries instead of the lesser experienced Biraghi and Bastoni

I guess Vecino will start instead of Gagliardini.

We have this midweek CL game, then Parma on Saturday, then Brescia midweek, then Bologna the following weekend so a lot of games. Rotation a must.

Dortmund won against Gladbach in the weekend despite playing without Sancho, Gotze and Alcacer but they have good depth in Hazard's brother, Brandt, Reus..

·
Registered
15,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #192
There will be a separate thread for Dortmund midweek, not sure who will do it... Any volunteers? :D

I am excluding myself as I did the PSV thread last season.

need a change from red who already started this thread

This leaves Nacka or Firdy. Or any lurking members who don't post much nowadays.

Our recent record at home against the German clubs is disastrous.

10-11, CL: lost at home to Bayern and to Schalke
14-15, EL: lost at home to Wolfsburg
Last season, EL: lost at home to Frankfurt

For the Dortmund game, as far as I am concerned: if we win, good, if we don't, we can focus on the league which is ok. So I won't be too tense/nervous. Priority should be Serie A with all due respect to the prestige of the CL.

Asamoah and Godin will start barring injuries instead of the lesser experienced Biraghi and Bastoni

I guess Vecino will start instead of Gagliardini.

We have this midweek CL game, then Parma on Saturday, then Brescia midweek, then Bologna the following weekend so a lot of games. Rotation a must.

Dortmund won against Gladbach in the weekend despite playing without Sancho, Gotze and Alcacer but they have good depth in Hazard's brother, Brandt, Reus..
I agree with Ahmed.

I don't think Inter will win this given Dortmund's quality and Inter's abysmal record at home to German teams. I also don't think the squad has the resources to manage Serie A and CL knockouts.

I won't exactly be devastated if Dortmund get something out of this. With such a thin midfield and attack our focus has to be Serie A this year.

Although one point worth making: Dortmund are much weaker away from home.

But at the same time Inter have looked very shaky against the better teams at home: Lazio, Juve, Slavia Prague - all pretty bad performances.

·
Registered
57,648 Posts
Dortmund lose duo for Inter
Football Italia

Borussia Dortmund will be without key duo Marco Reus and Paco Alcacer against Inter in the Champions League tomorrow.

Alcacer has been out since the start of October with an Achilles injury, while Reus – who scored Dortmund’s winner at the weekend – is ruled out with flu.

Joining the forwards on the sidelines at San Siro is experienced left-back Marcel Schmelzer.

However, goalkeeper Roman Burki is passed fit after he was taken off against Borussia Monchengladbach with a suspected knee problem.

The Germans will also be able to count on Jadon Sancho, the winger reinstated following his late return from England duty and subsequent exclusion.

The Nerazzurri desperately need a win tomorrow after a draw and defeat in their first two Group F games, whereas their opponents are top with four points.

---

Sancho is probably the best rw in the world now, certainly one of the best if not the best. England's attacking trio of Sterling, Kane and Sancho is world class.

Despite the absences Dortmund still have Brandt, Gotze, young hazard etc..

Who will do the thread, bitches? Firdy?

·
Registered
57,648 Posts
Last time we played against Dortmund in Milano in the Champions Cup was in 63-64. Won 2-0, Mazzola and Jair, who were among the star attacking players of the Grande Inter era along with Luis Suarez and Mario Corso mainly.

Fine goal by Mazzola. The control, the finish.. damn.

Unfortunately I couldn't find the goal of Jair on YouTube. There's a picture/drawing though...

·
Registered
15,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #195
Despite the absences Dortmund still have Brandt, Gotze, young hazard etc..

Who will do the thread, bitches? Firdy?
Götze is sh*t now though.

You'll see tonight if he plays....

·
Registered
57,648 Posts
He'll score a super hattrick now that you said that..

We still don't have a separate thread.. :( @Firdaus

·
Registered
15,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #197
181 - 197 of 197 Posts