Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Neither

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
At the moment the winners of the CL qualify for the following CL automatically.
Do you think that BOTH finalists should, just the winners or neither?

I personally think it's a major achievment getting as far as the final, and this should be enough.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
I disagree. If you go that way, you can let the semi-finalists in as well, because for a lot of teams that's one hell of an achievement too. Besides, that makes the final more dramatic and exciting.

·
Registered
7,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think the possibilty of qualifying next year adds that much more excitment to the final; the chance of winning the trophy/championship in itself is the true desire.

And of course, getting to the quarter finals, 2nd round can be a major achivement for a lot of teams, but you have to set the rule somewhere.

It would be another way of giving a losing finalist a chance to try again (more than likely they'll probably qualify via their league in any case).

It's almost mirrored in the way 2nd, 3rd, etc, placed teams (in their respective leagues) can now go into the biggest Euro competition (instead of just the first).

I just think it offers losing players a little more solace in the knowledge they'll definately be there to try again next time.

On the other hand; maybe neither should (as they propose for the next World Cup).

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
The title holder should definately be able to defend his title, I think this is just like a basic rule in sport. In a way all the other 31 teams are there to chalenge him.

The loser of the final shouldn't get a ticket IMO....I don't think it's ok to reward losers in sports.

ADRIAAN
_______

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
94,487 Posts
adriaan said:
The title holder should definately be able to defend his title, I think this is just like a basic rule in sport. In a way all the other 31 teams are there to chalenge him.

The loser of the final shouldn't get a ticket IMO....I don't think it's ok to reward losers in sports.

ADRIAAN
_______
Im with Adriaan on this one too !!! ;)

·
Registered
407 Posts
I agree with Hakan. We should let the team that looses the C.L. cup to try again. And I don't think that the final would be more exciting is only the winner takes the pass for the next year.
Although I don't care much about that because Olympiakos always participates in the Champions League! :) ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
320 Posts
I deffinately do not think that a finalist should automatically qualify for next seasons champions league. My argument sort of belongs in the thread about the current structure of the champions league but i feel that its still good. Its called the CHAMPIONS LEAGUE and therefore the competing teams should be the champions. The italian champion, the english champion the winner of champions league etc...I don't think that number 2 is a champion so number 2 shouldn't be in champions league.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts