Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
54,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hardly a must win game just yet, but considering our form away from home, we definitely need to think of taking something from this match if we wish to progress. Cluj is not an easy team to play away from home.

There is really no point of talking tactics, above anything else the team must play with heart and spirit. If this happens first, then sometimes tactics don't even matter as much. As one would say in England, I just wish for every player to work their asses off and give 110% on the pitch in this game. A little bit of luck here or there and we might escape with a result, but I am not expecting anything.

·
Registered
54,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ARTUR
BAPTISTA
BERTAGNOLI
BRIGHI
CICINHO
DE ROSSI
FILIPE
JUAN
LORIA
MARANGON
MENEZ
MEXES
MONTELLA
OKAKA
PANUCCI
PERROTTA
PIZARRO
RIISE
TADDEI
TONETTO
TOTTI
VUCINIC

Basically a fit squad apart from Albe and Cassetti, so we finally have some choices to be made :pp I want this:

Doni; Panucci, Mexes, Juan, Tonetto; De Rossi, Brighi, Pizarro; Baptista; Totti, Vucinic

Bench: Artur, Cicinho, Riise, Perrotta, Taddei, Menez, Okaka.

----------------------------------------------------

I really hope he doesnt insist with the hopelessly out of form Taddei and Perrotta

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
Aquilani is a big loss.

Spalletti should stick this on the dressing room walls, BTW:

Luiz Felipe Scolari books Chelsea in early for final

Luiz Felipe Scolari is ultra-confident his Chelsea side will reach the Champions League final in Rome

Matt Hughes, Rome

Luiz Felipe Scolari demonstrated his supreme confidence that Chelsea will reach the Champions League final for a second successive season last night by instructing his employers to reserve rooms in the Cavalieri Hilton in Rome for the last week of May.

Scolari’s side need a win against Roma this evening to ensure qualification for the first knockout round, but the manager is already thinking ahead to next year, when the final will be held at the Olympic Stadium on May 27.

Chelsea’s hotel in the Roman hills, where rooms start at £776 a night, rising to £6,400 for the King’s Suite, is less than half a mile from the stadium and Scolari is hoping to return to make up for last season’s penalty shoot-out defeat by Manchester United in Moscow.

“I like this hotel,” Scolari said. “It’s beautiful. It’s a fantastic hotel. When we went for a walk today, there are flags, trees — a beautiful situation. It’s a great view. If the hotel accepts, we’ll book it for May.

“We need to arrive in the final. We’re playing very well, but we’ve not got into any final position yet. We need to get into more finals, win more finals. Then, after that, it might be possible to say we are better than last season.”

The statistics suggest that there has already been a considerable improvement because Chelsea are top of the Barclays Premier League and their Champions League group. Scolari joked yesterday that his side are “more beautiful” than the one coached by Avram Grant, his predecessor, before conceding that they had yet to prove themselves.

“Chelsea is one of the best ten teams in the world, but not the best,” he said. “There are other teams who also play very well. We’ve played some very good games. In one or two games, we haven’t played well and we’ve paid for this. Every day we’ve tried in training to make something more than before, because maybe in the future we’ll need that.

“Until May, it’s a long way. We need first to win tomorrow or get a minimum of one point. We need to get into the second phase. We are not here to show something for these people, we are here to beat Roma. We are not here to make a statement for May, only for tomorrow. But, if they give us a chance, sure, we’ll try to arrive in May in this stadium.”

For all the praise that has been lavished on Scolari for Chelsea’s attacking style this season, their defensive record is even more impressive, with only four goals conceded in 15 league and cup matches. Petr Cech kept his 100th clean sheet in 180 appearances for the club in Saturday’s 5-0 win over Sunderland at Stamford Bridge.

Scolari will make at least one change, with Wayne Bridge replacing Ashley Cole at left back — a calf injury will keep the defender out for up to ten days — but Nicolas Anelka will keep his place after scoring a hat-trick against Sunderland. Didier Drogba will start on the bench again.

“It’s very important for our team that they have confidence in our defence,” Scolari said. “We know that we have very good players in midfield and in attack. We know that if we don’t concede goals, we’ll have a chance for a draw, minimum. In this Champions League, we’ve won two games and drawn one 0-0 and when I have a very good defence, I have a very good attack.”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/chelsea/article5076715.ece
If our players can't f**king fire up for this one, we've got not hope.

·
Nun c'è Problema!
3,203 Posts
I don't really believe in miracles that happen over night:neutral:
But if we give our best, we'll be nearer it:)

·
Premium Member
11,360 Posts
To be honest, reading the predicted starting lineup of Roma (which includes Riise, Panucci at RB, Taddei and Perrotta, but no Brighi), I feel totally pessimistic.

·
Registered
62,700 Posts
Good luck.

if Juve can beat Madrid despite being off form, who knows..

Granted, Chelsea are a better all round side than, well, everyone else.

·
Registered
13,169 Posts
I actually think we match up pretty well w/ Chelsea on paper. If we could just get Taddei, Perrotta and others to turn things around, we could grab at least a point. Obviously, having Totti back will help a lot. :thumbsup: Forza :thumbsup: But we can't allow them to score first cause we might crumble again.

·
Premium Member
11,360 Posts
The game is in doubt, there's a rain storm in Rome currently.

Anyway, here's the uefa.com lineup for us:

* 32 Doni
* 2 Christian Panucci
* 3 Cicinho
* 4 Juan
* 5 Philippe Mexès
* 7 David Pizarro
* 9 Mirko Vučinić
* 10 Francesco Totti
* 16 Daniele De Rossi
* 20 Simone Perrotta
* 33 Matteo Brighi

Riise is not in the team, good news. Not sure how well Panucci would do in his place, but he can hardly do worse. Brighi is in, which is really good news.

·
Premium Member
11,399 Posts
Here is the confirmed line-up:

------------------Doni-----------------
Cicinho-----Mexes-----Juan-----Panucci
--------De Rossi---------Brighi---------
---Perrotta------Pizarro-------Vucinic--
------------------Totti----------------

·
Defunct
23,341 Posts
Here is the confirmed line-up:

------------------Doni-----------------
Cicinho-----Mexes-----Juan-----Panucci
--------De Rossi---------Brighi---------
---Perrotta------Pizarro-------Vucinic--
------------------Totti----------------
Vucinic in midfield, Totti striker?

·
Premium Member
11,399 Posts

·
Professional Pirate
7,108 Posts
No its more like a 4-4-1-1.Its looking OK at the moment.But playing 4 CM's behind Totti and Vucinic is terrible.Vucinic and Totti are so isolated.

1 - 20 of 136 Posts