Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone think the new World Cup style Champions League format started a few seasons back makes it a little too easy. I mean if you think about it, say you get an easy group, finish top, then you get an easy team who finished second in the other group and beat them easily, you're in the 1/4 finals of arguably the biggest club competition in the world just like that. I mean Ranger or Villareal are going to be in the 1/4 finals and I just think they got there a little too easily :rolleyes: . When there were 2 group stages and then 1/4 finals, semi's and finals the teams really had to work. I know the schedule was tiring but it really meant the best team was the one who could last. It was more like a marathon. I preffered it.

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
i liked the 2 group stages aswell.
but most of all i'd prefer only the champions of each country to play.

there are clubs in the competition that haven't won their domestic league in over a decade or never (villarreal) at all.
the way it is now, champions of let's say serbia or romania, aren't even represented.
if you're unlucky and draw a club in the qualification that finished 3rd or 4th in spain/england/italy/germany you're basically in 9 out of 10 cases screwed.

so these domestic champions from not so strong countries miss out on the money that they should get.

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE it's called - not "runner up league".

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's UEFA's way of 'giving the fans what they want' with supposed better football. They think they attract more interest this way :notlist: and being a Wisla Krakow fan I know the frustration of seeing a 3rd placed team in the competition and not Wisla who have won their league 3 times in a row.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well Wisla have to go into the Champions League 2nd qualifying round and they usually make it past there to the 3rd round where they are unseeded and play the likes of Real Madrid. Then they lose, drop off to the UEFA CUP, can't be bothered to play there cause they play there every season and go out in the first round of that.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well why not. It wouldn't be every week, the better teams would play each other as time goes on and the final gets nearer.

·
Registered
27,119 Posts
il_principe said:
but most of all i'd prefer only the champions of each country to play.
I agree but if only the Champions from each country played then we might get stuck with groups like: Chelsea, Elbasan, Ekranas and Sheriff. What then? you would basically have the same thing and 99% of the time the favorite big clubs will go through but it just wont be as interesting cause we would see matches end up being very one sided..

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
Ambis said:
I agree but if only the Champions from each country played then we might get stuck with groups like: Chelsea, Elbasan, Ekranas and Sheriff. What then? you would basically have the same thing and 99% of the time the favorite big clubs will go through but it just wont be as interesting cause we would see matches end up being very one sided..
fans of "smaller" clubs deserve to play the big ones aswell and travel with their teams to the camp nou and san siro and dream of winning there.

even if they lose by a large scoreline, they deserve to get the money for competing in the CL.
money that can help them a lot in the domestic competition.
3-4 million euros help clubs from romania, croatia, sweden, serbia, poland, austria, hungary, czech republik, slowakia, switzerland etc. a lot.

why watch in awe while the rich get richer?

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
The champions of every country do play...just in the qualifying rounds. If they're not good enough to get through that why should they play in the Champions League proper...it would decrease the quality of the competition as well and make it easier for the better teams. At the moment it's the highest standard of footy in the world...better then the World Cup.

The two group stages were tedious beyond belief...loads of meaningless matches which was they scrapped it. Loads of people on here liked it for some reason though. :confused:

·
Registered
27,119 Posts
il_principe said:
fans of "smaller" clubs deserve to play the big ones aswell and travel with their teams to the camp nou and san siro and dream of winning there.

even if they lose by a large scoreline, they deserve to get the money for competing in the CL.
money that can help them a lot in the domestic competition.
3-4 million euros help clubs from romania, croatia, sweden, serbia, poland, austria, hungary, czech republik, slowakia, switzerland etc. a lot.

why watch in awe while the rich get richer?
Hey i'm from a smaller country so i would love that i mean i would love to see Pelister play Chelsea in Bitola :tongue: it would be a dream come true and awesome to have the big club come in our city and be part of the CL but most of the world doesnt care about that and no one would beside those two teams fans. If we were to be selfish and try to help the smaller clubs then it would work but worldwide interest would be almost a zero. How did things used to work in the old European Cup format? did we have anything like this happen or was it that there was not as many smaller countries back then and all the ex Soviet and Yugoslav countries didnt exist back then. But its all for nothing because UEFA and FIFA just care about money today so nothing will ever change ;)

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
@7saint9
there obviously wouldn't be that many better teams participating in the competition.
the champion of england, italy, spain, germany and the rest is open.

your example that they don't deserve to play there, if they can't qualify against the 3rd or 4th from the big leagues is ridiculous.

champions should always deserve to play in the champions league, no matter from where they come from.hence thew name of it.
if you can't win the domestic league, than go and play in uefa-cup.simple as that.

·
Registered
7,951 Posts
god that would suck... thank god that uefa doesnt share the views of the some of the ppl here... im bulgarian and i would love to see one of our team in the CL, but i like the current format with 4 teams from the big leagues and i think its great entatainment... who wants to see Juventus- Wisla and Artmedia- Real quarterfinals, i dont think many ppl do. Its great the way CL is right now and we have more games which is great and more entartainment. I wish they put the 2nd groupstage back tho. So if ur saying only champions that means- no milan, no inter, no real madrid, no Werder, no Ajax just to name a few. Wow what a CL that would be, no one will watch it..

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
il_principe said:
@7saint9

champions should always deserve to play in the champions league, no matter from where they come from.hence thew name of it.
if you can't win the domestic league, than go and play in uefa-cup.simple as that.

Thats a very simplistic viewpoint. In reality it would mean the big teams thrashing the smaller ones week in, week out and that doesn't help the competition at all. If you can't beat the weaker teams in qualifying then you don't deserve to play at this level...winning a weak domestic league is not enough.

·
Registered
27,119 Posts
il_principe said:
Yes and if we go by that then only the countries Cup winners should play in the UEFA Cup not the 7th or 8th placed teams in there league. Hell some of the teams from the Intertoto Cup that make it there are like 12th placed :howler:

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
@ saint
it's not that real madrid and milan won the (old) competition year in year out, leaving others no chance.

forest, hamburg, aston villa, red star belgrade, psv, steaua...

who says smaller clubs are completly without a chance against the big guns?

this butt-kissing of the big clubs the uefa is doing since the new format with 4 clubs from the big leagues was created, is wrong.

the uefa seems to care more about some gloryhunting real-madrid fan from malaysia (no offense to anyone, just an example) in front of the tv, than a partizan belgrade or ferencvaros faithfull who has devoted his entire life to the club and deserves the privilege, joy and memories to play against the champions and travel places with the team.
just because these clubs don't have a lot of fans outside their own city or country, you can't treat them as if they aren't worth as much as the legions of barcelona and juve fans around the world.

as you mentioned the level of football beeing so high and what not before, it's obvious that not every time two big clubs play against eachother it's automatically a great game of football.

·
Registered
27,119 Posts
il_principe said:
the uefa seems to care more about some gloryhunting real-madrid fan from malaysia (no offense to anyone, just an example) in front of the tv, than a partizan belgrade or ferencvaros faithfull who has devoted his entire life to the club and deserves the privilege, joy and memories to play against the champions and travel places with the team.
I agree but thats what UEFA and the big clubs want outside fan support and the money, why do you think clubs like Real Madrid or Milan go on these Asian and North American tours?

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
Ambis said:
I agree but thats what UEFA and the big clubs want outside fan support and the money, why do you think clubs like Real Madrid or Milan go on these Asian and North American tours?
of couse they want it that way, and i don't blame them for wanting to cash in big time in any way possible with showcase circus tours through asia and the u.s.

the big clubs also don't care if the domestic league is won by them with 20-30 points above the 3rd or 4th placed team.
they don't want a league with (at least generally) 5,6 or 7 equally good teams and real competition.
they'd rather buy a talented player from a small club and let him waste on their bench or stands than let him score against them.
they don't want the tv-money beeing equally shared among the clubs and keep the competition alive.

and uefa happily goes with that along it seems.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
i personnaly would love to see the "superleauge" idea take off. look at every league, every one of them. only 3 maybe 3 teams challenge anyway, so put em all in one league....wont ever happen btw, but i like that idea.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts