Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Facchetti slams insipid Inter
Tuesday 4, April 206

Roberto Mancini has taken the blame for Inter’s shock Champions League exit, but President Giacinto Facchetti has slammed the ‘insipid’ team.

“It was a good first half performance, but we were disappointing in the second half and it was a really stupid goal to concede. We thought we’d be able to score at least one here and qualify, but we gave our all and couldn’t break through,” said Mancini after the 1-0 defeat at Villarreal saw them crash out on away goals, 2-2 on aggregate.

“Physically we are fine, so that’s not the problem. We seemed to have problems with the final ball and particularly struggled to get anywhere near their goal in the second half. A team like ours had to try harder, there’s no doubting that, and I take responsibility for this.”

Some of Mancini’s tactical choices caused controversy, such as replacing Luis Figo with Sinisa Mihajlovic and starting with a not 100 per cent fit Alvaro Recoba.

“Unfortunately, when someone makes decisions they sometimes work and others don’t. I’ll evaluate the situation by myself later. Figo had been out for almost three weeks, so he wasn’t match fit and I thought that putting Mihajlovic in would give us something more from set-pieces.”

Mancini’s men are out of the Scudetto race and leave Europe after picking what many thought was the easiest draw in the quarter-finals.

“I think the qualification was within our grasp and it was a good chance to reach the semi-final, as Villarreal are certainly not superior to us. There is regret, of course.”

Inter President Facchetti was visibly angry when he attended the Press room after the match and aimed the finger of blame squarely at the players.

“At the end of the first leg I said we’d need a team with character to overturn this result, but we proved that we had no belief, no character and no determination. After a balanced first half, we had no reaction when we went behind and risked conceding even more goals. It’s incomprehensible that we only put some pressure on in the final five minutes. If you don’t have that spirit, you’ll get nowhere.”

Facchetti, a former Nerazzurri captain, was furious with the sluggish nature of his stars, who rarely troubled the Spanish defence.

“It was the attitude that angered me, as we were utterly unable to create good scoring opportunities. I at least expected some sort of reaction after conceding the goal, but there was nothing. We certainly did not think this was going to happen when we were paired with Villarreal.”

Adriano barely warranted a mention for his performance, but much of the squad didn’t do any better at the Madrigal.

“I don’t want to name names, but it was normal to expect the team to react after the goal. All we managed was one long-range shot and a chance where Obafemi Martins slipped inside the area.”

It looks to be another season of disappointment for the Inter faithful, who are at least still on track to defend their Coppa Italia trophy.

“Every time we seem to be heading for a major objective, the team disappoints and doesn’t step up to the plate. A side needs grit and determination. We’d proved in the first leg that we could beat Villarreal, but did far too little tonight to follow that up,” said the President, but he rejected talk of Mancini’s dismissal.

“We are disappointed about this elimination, but we’ll talk about this tomorrow. There’s no reason to scrap everything we’ve worked on so far.

Tacchi disappointed by Inter
Wednesday 5 April, 2006

Alessio Tacchinardi admits he expected much more of a challenge from Inter as his Villarreal moved into the Champions League semi-finals.

"We played the game of our lives and we proved on the field that we were better than Inter, as they hardly ever tested us," he said after the 1-0 win put the Spaniards through on away goals, 2-2 on aggregate.

"I think we wanted it more and gave it our heart and soul, while the Nerazzurri looked a little sluggish to me and I expected them to put more effort in.

"In all honesty, I was surprised to see Sinisa Mihajlovic replace Luis Figo. I think Inter will have a lot of problems from now on, as going out to underdogs like us will undoubtedly bring criticism down on them. Personally, I was very disappointed in their performance."

Former Juventus star Tacchinardi knows the Serie A giants and their weaknesses all too well, but even he was surprised by their sluggish display.

It was an historic night for Villarreal, though, who have reached the final four in their first ever Champions League campaign.

"We knew we had to defend well, as we expected to score at least one goal. In the Champions League we have always focused on defence and it has been effective.

"It's my first year in Spain and I am proud to be a part of this squad. For us, being in the final four is already like lifting the trophy.

Villarreal will face the winners of the Juventus-Arsenal tie in the semi-finals and the Italian international is looking for a trip to Highbury.

"I think facing my old club would be very hard for me, as it was already tough to come up against Inter, so I hope Arsenal go through."

Tacchinardi is still owned by Juve, but is eager to stay in Spain for another season and confirms rumours he could soon be teammates with Marco Materazzi.

"As for my future, I'm talking to Juventus at the moment and I admire Villarreal's ambition. Plus I live by the sea! I had lost my love of the game in my last year at Juve, but I've recaptured that here. The club is interested in Materazzi and had already talked about it when we were over for the first leg."

Materazzi hardly endeared himself to the Villarreal fans, as his elbow left Juan Pablo Sorin with a deep cut just above his eye.

"What happens on the field stays on the field," insisted ex-Lazio man Sorin. "It was an unfortunate move from him, but being in the semi-finals takes away some of the pain.

"The fight with Juan Sebastian Veron is the same as the Materazzi incident, as I think it ends there and we are fellow countrymen."

Sorin was a flop in Serie A, but has found his element in La Liga with Villarreal and reveals their game plan when taking on Inter.

"I think we played a great game and Inter sat back quite a lot, but we knew their strength was when pushing forward, so we kept them under constant pressure to stop them from playing.

"It's simply very exciting to be in the semi-finals and a dream come true. We feel like the belle of the ball, so whatever happens from now it'll be wonderful. I'm very proud of my team and the impression we have made on Europe."

Inter feel the heat
Wednesday 5 April, 2006

Inter’s Champions League exit to Villarreal sparked dressing room unrest last night, according to unconfirmed reports.

The Corriere dello Sport newspaper today alleges that players exchanged angry words with each other and even shoves both at half-time and after the final whistle.

It is claimed that the side’s strikers came under attack from teammates, Adriano in particular, for their display in the opening 45 minutes.

Calm was eventually restored as the team went out for the second half before a similar bust-up repeated itself after the 1-0 loss and their elimination.

To make matters worse, the squad and club officials were then subjected to verbal abuse from disgruntled fans as they left Spain.

That wasn’t the end of it by any means as around 100 furious supporters awaited their return at Milan’s Malpensa airport to underline their thoughts.

“The loss is our fault,” said captain Javier Zanetti after his outfit were just left with the Coppa Italia and second place in the League to play for. “It’s tough to comment on what happened.

“We should just accept the fact that we didn’t play at all. We were doing fine up until their goal, but we just didn’t react to that as we should have.”

The outfit’s shock exit has also inevitably raised question marks over the future of boss Roberto Mancini.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Against 'popular' belief, our first half was shit as well. So Mancio should stop saying we had a good first half. He has the tendency to overrate our performances and downplay the opposition.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree. Our first half was shit and I fail to see how it could have been classified as positive. Perhaps the only positive point was that we did not concede in the first hal but the team played terribly and I thought both halves were equally as shit as the other.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
See their goalie was at it again! Diving all over the place. God i hate him!

Or am i just jealous! :veiled:

·
Banned
9,221 Posts
blaming adriano for last night is retarded.

and we surely didnt have a good first half, in the first 20 minutes we played ok, after that it just got from worse to serie b football. seriously, como on a bad day would have played better.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Facchetti accuses Adriano
Wednesday 5 April, 2006

Inter President Giacinto Facchetti has hinted that Adriano was to blame for their disastrous Champions League exit to Villarreal.

“I think that the only way to go far in Europe is to have all 11 players giving 100 per cent and the right determination,” he told Inter Channel.

“In a competition like the Champions League, all you need is one player who isn’t at his best for everyone to be dragged down with him.”

Although Facchetti has refused to name names, there was a clear suggestion that Adriano was at the heart of the problems that Inter have been experiencing of late.

The Brazilian has been off form for most of 2006, yet Coach Roberto Mancini has rarely if ever opted to bench him in favour of Julio Ricardo Cruz.

With reports in today’s Italian Press suggesting that Adriano’s teammates rounded on him at the Madrigal, with insults and even pushing and shoving, this latest statement puts further pressure on his shoulders.

The loss on away goals to Villarreal, who are competing in their first ever Champions League tournament, has left a very bitter taste in Nerazzurri mouths.

“There is great disappointment. Villarreal were the underdogs, even if they had already knocked out the likes of Everton. Manchester United and Glasgow Rangers. All the praise I heaped on the squad after the first leg for their character, determination and grit was wiped out in Spain. We only managed to trouble them in the final minutes and it’s nowhere near enough.”

The axe is hanging over the head of Coach Mancini, although Facchetti gave him one last opportunity to make his mark this season.

“Clearly no longer have any of the objectives we had set ourselves in the summer, but we must in any case fight for second place. That would give us the chance to plan for next term and not go through the Champions League qualifying round. We must not throw all the hard work we’ve put in out the window.”

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
Facchetti 1-0 Moratti.

Moratti would have petted the team. Facchetti is putting them under pressure. I wanna wipe that smile off of Adriano's face. We should loan him out to Como out of spite.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Riquelme was made to look great by our shit midfield who worshipped everything he did. Adriano might actually score a few goals if we loaned him to Como but I would not hold your breath on him finding the back of the net anytime soon.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Inter01 said:
Tacchi disappointed by Inter
Wednesday 5 April, 2006

"I think facing my old club would be very hard for me, as it was already tough to come up against Inter, so I hope Arsenal go through."
what he said really changed my mind we need to have more italians in the team.playing in a team from ur country in the CL is like playing for ur NT

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Inter....wow, what to say....let's fire Mancini, but then who?....who in their right mind would come to coach this funeral?...seriously, only Lippi has gone on to do good things after Inter at Juve and the NT, but other than that...Tardelli, a once promising coach is rotting somewhere...Cuper, a two-time CL finalist, is fighting relegation (i think) in Spain...and now Mancini, a man who was even contacted by Madrid b4 he joined Inter is gonna be in the dumps....so tell me what coach would ever wanna stake their reputation to this mess and accept the job...with that in mind, Prandelli, Hitzfeld, Wenger are the only names i'd consider

as for the team....Ronaldo, Baggio, Batistuta, Bergkamp, Roberto Carlos, Pirlo, Seedorf, Zamorano, Vieri, Blanc, Ince and on and on....the elite of the elite have all graced the San Siro wearing the Nerazzuri colours yet still nothing.....

what more can anyone possibly do?

we've had the coaches and we've had the players and most of u go on about how we need consistency yet here we all are ready to fire another coach and sell our stars....again

·
Registered
9,120 Posts
Jupiter said:
Inter....wow, what to say....let's fire Mancini, but then who?....who in their right mind would come to coach this funeral?...seriously, only Lippi has gone on to do good things after Inter at Juve and the NT, but other than that...Tardelli, a once promising coach is rotting somewhere...Cuper, a two-time CL finalist, is fighting relegation (i think) in Spain...and now Mancini, a man who was even contacted by Madrid b4 he joined Inter is gonna be in the dumps....so tell me what coach would ever wanna stake their reputation to this mess and accept the job...with that in mind, Prandelli, Hitzfeld, Wenger are the only names i'd consider
Well Cuper saved them single handedly from relegation last year(with a little help from Levante). Surelly we shouldnt get him back at Inter because he probably wont like the fact that even if he has a good season,while playing defencive football we will probably sack him if we dont get to a CL final or a title in Italy.
So the obvious choices are
Hitzfeld
Van Gaal
Jose(who knows Roman might fire him)
or even someone like Irrueta(at least he knows how to defeat Milan)

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
we need a change in footballing attitude
u have a slender 2-1 lead and going to an away game
Villareal are pushing forward, and the way it was going it was inevitable...the were gonna score

so wtf was the negative football all about...our midfield and attack were on 2 different mind sets

at least justice was done, THE BETTER TEAM went through
but it frustrates the hell out of me, when I KNOW Inter can play better

i think we should sell the entire useless pack and buy Riquelme

If you cant beat them...BUY THEM

LOL

·
Registered
6,429 Posts
I'm going to give more time to my second love which actually PLAYS football instead of this club...

I'm so pissed! Just throw everyone and build a new team wankers! People who play football because they like it, not because they can earn money with it!

That was really the baddest match of Inter I had ever seen! You could see it coming from 50 miles away! And we didn't try shit when it was 1-0.
What we should've done was attack from the first minute to score a minimum of 1 goal! But no, we we were doing nothing! We were admiring Riquelme's skills.
We weren't even interested to go through it seemed...

Really **** off sucky bastards!

WELL YEAH! THERE'S ALWAYS NEXT YEAR, NO???

All I have to say is : Forca Barca! At least you play football... I may not love you as much as Inter, but at least you try to get a result! And you won't dissappoint me 10 years in a row with a 'I DONT GIVE A **** IF I GET MY MONEY'-attitude!

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
we suck...we are crap...we ****ed up big time..and we deserved it...sometimes, i feel like i want moratti to sell the stars and blow up the team...

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Im predicting that tribal is gonna come up with a story like 'Moratti punches Adriano, Adriano starts crying and leaves' around about now.

:tongue:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts