Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
19,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These games are edging closer and deserves a thread of it's own.

It is unique to have these teams squaring up to each other in the CL all in one round.

Some Italians are making noises as they say that the top teams are not as strong in England.( Bar Man.Utd) Looks to be the case at the moment but considering the CL was an all english affair last season is it enough of a drop to see a couple of the Italian teams through? Are the Serie A sides strong enough to take advantage of this perceived weakness?

If the English clubs take a clean sweep in these games it will be a truly humbling experience for Serie A. Or it may turn out that Italy can save some face and get a team through. More than one team and it's victory for Italy.

What is great about these games is that you really can't call them with complete confidence even the game the reigning champions are involved in. They seem all very tight games.

For what it's worth I think that Manchester United will get the job done against Inter. No surprises there perhaps for some.

The Chelsea - Juve game. Not so far back I had a sneaky feeling for Juventus to edge this one but as the games gets closer I will stick with Chelsea.

Arsenal - Roma. Maybe the most unpredictable of them all. Perhaps this is the best chance for the Italians to save face and get one team through but Arsenal can never be discounted. This game is just too close to call especially as I don't want to jinx the Arsenal ;)

An Italian take on the games ahead:

http://www.footballitaliano.co.uk/article.aspx?id=137

·
Registered
10,819 Posts
United are too strong. They're good all over the pitch. Rooney, Berbatov, Ronaldo to fire in the goals, and let's not forget Tevez. Scholes and Carrick in the middle of the pitch and even an aging Ryan Giggs can be thrown in there. Their defence is rock solid, the only weak part of their team is RB. Apart from that they are fantastic all over the pitch.

Inter were shaky in the group stages if I remember correctly and struggled often against smaller opponents. If Vidic can keep Ibrahimovic quiet, which will be a fantastic duel IMO, Inter will be sent back to Italy and have to try again next year. That being said, if Ibra is uncontainable, we certainly have a great tie on our hands.

Chelsea aren't playing great football at the moment, they can't find any form up top and seem to be struggling in the EPL. Even though the UCL is a different kettle of fish altogether, I still think they will struggle. If Juve can find their form again like they have had in Serie A, they will beat Chelsea, and easily I think.

The Arsenal & Roma match will be very interesting. We are without Cesc of course, and I think Totti is injured? Although the addition of Arshavin may well be promising he is cup tied and won't be able to play. If RvP keeps up his current form, and Ade can get his scoring boots on and the defence stays solid, we can progress.

Roma have some quality though, DDR is a fine, fine player. And they boast a former Gunner in the Beast who can be quite special on his day. Vucinic is always a danger too, but having said that, their defence is rather slow and may struggle with our pace.

·
Third Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
10,905 Posts
I think Mourinho will win against Man U. He's just got the knack of getting the better of SAF.
I see Juventus beating Chelsea. Chelsea have been toothless in attack off-late.
Arsenal-Roma should be won by Arsenal. If they fail , I think Arsene should be sacked.

·
Registered
13,397 Posts
The EPL killer is not even playing in this CL. So in the end it will be EPL 2-1 Serie A.

·
Pepe the Beast
4,493 Posts
None of these teams are very impressive at the moment. Even Man United haven't really been sweeping teams aside with their offensive prowess.

I would say all three of these match ups are quite balance considering present form.

However, I will say I don't think any of these six teams will win it. I would place my bets on one of Barcelona, Madrid, or Munich.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
as already said, Roma vs Arsenal is certainly the best tie for the neutrals...unlike Inter, Juve and Chelsea, these two sides play skillful and entertaining attacking play..and both have quality forwards in the form of Menez, Eduardo, Adebayor, Nasri, Vucinic Totti and the likes....

Man U will probably destroy the sorry inter (very hopeful)
Juve vs chelsea, i don't know...a month earlier, i would say Juve...but they suck right now...losing to Cagliari and only getting 1 win this year...plus chiellini and zanetti out...i choose chelsea

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Despite the Mourinho factor, I just don't see Inter troubling Man Utd. They are just too good, and coming into form at the perfect time. They have kept 11 consecutive clean sheets, and boast incredible attacking players. Inter have been average all season, and they're getting worse.

Chelsea Juve is an interesting one. Neither side is in good form, Juve are starting to struggle once again, and Chelsea look hopeless at the moment.

Arsenal Roma is another interesting tie, but I think Roma are good enough to knock out Arsenal.

·
Registered
15,733 Posts
Interesting to read that several of you think that Juventus will beat Chelsea. Chelsea's form may not be very good right now, but when you look at Juve's recent results you could say exactly the same thing. Two teams that are underperforming of late, but when you look at both sides on paper, Chelsea are clearly the better team. Chiellini's injury further adds to Juve's troubles.

Man United should progress against Inter too. Potentially a cagey tie but United have enough quality and better ability to rise to the occasion. Inter have been poor in the CL so far this season and not come up against a side close to United's quality.

Roma - Arsenal is the most difficult tie to predict on, but I'd go with Roma.

·
Registered
10,390 Posts
I think Mourinho will win against Man U. He's just got the knack of getting the better of SAF.
I see Juventus beating Chelsea. Chelsea have been toothless in attack off-late.
Arsenal-Roma should be won by Arsenal. If they fail , I think Arsene should be sacked.
:thumbsup: i agree.

·
Third Place winner, March 2009 Photo Contest
977 Posts
as already said, Roma vs Arsenal is certainly the best tie for the neutrals...unlike Inter, Juve and Chelsea, these two sides play skillful and entertaining attacking play..and both have quality forwards in the form of Menez, Eduardo, Adebayor, Nasri, Vucinic Totti and the likes....

Man U will probably destroy the sorry inter (very hopeful)
Juve vs chelsea, i don't know...a month earlier, i would say Juve...but they suck right now...losing to Cagliari and only getting 1 win this year...plus chiellini and zanetti out...i choose chelsea
I wouldn't quite call Arsenal's recent football skillful.

·
1st Tier Poster
49,994 Posts
Interesting to read that several of you think that Juventus will beat Chelsea. Chelsea's form may not be very good right now, but when you look at Juve's recent results you could say exactly the same thing. Two teams that are underperforming of late, but when you look at both sides on paper, Chelsea are clearly the better team. Chiellini's injury further adds to Juve's troubles.
Chelsea has been really poor against big teams both in EPL and CL under Scolari. While Juve has shown they can rise to the occasion by beating Real twice and also Milan and Roma this season.

·
Freedom for all
16,851 Posts
I think the Italian teams need to do well a lot more. It's pretty much widely accepted than the Premiership has moved beyond Serie A, and I think the Italian teams will want to send a message that they can still compete against the best around.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I'd expect Juve to qualify over Chelsea. Cheslea can't beat any big team this season. The only big team they've beaten is Roma at home, back when Roma was like 17th in Serie A.

Roma vs. Arsenal should be a dead even 50-50. If I had to bet right now, I'd do a coin flip on this one.

United are favorites against Inter, but only by a relatively small margin. This match can easily go either way.

·
Registered
66,782 Posts
None of this means **** all as long as these teams continue to be dominated by non-domestic players. That's just how I feel. It's nothing to brag about when you're from England and your team has 0-3 English players in the first 11. Same goes for Inter.

·
Registered
9,491 Posts
Must be a bitch living in modern society, eh, Dmitriy ?

Actually it does mean shit, a lot of shit. For a fan for example it means he is offered a good and competitive product. I mean there is a lot of stupidity in the English game but one thing you cant deny is the state of the infrastructure and the overall quality of the product they are offered, even in the Championship.

The gap between the Championship and other second tier divisions in top European leagues is quite overwhelming actually.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts